Keto

Options
Hello There

I recently started back here for tracking diet and workouts. I’ve seen people around me who have had success with a Keto plan, but I personally have no idea where to start.

Anyone have any tips, advice, or guidance with where to start?

Anyone not for Keto? If so, may I ask why?

Thanks y’all 😊

Replies

• amckholmes
    amckholmes Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    https://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

I would encourage you to join this group, the members are people who have eaten low carb or keto, some for many years. They can provide excellent input from real life experience, as opposed to a barrage of people without personal experience. :)
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Not for or against. Really depends on your preferences. Keto, as with any other way of eating will work just fine as long as you can stick to it...
  • ssmith0903
    ssmith0903 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    :) Thank you all for the advice!
  • MrsSylvie
    MrsSylvie Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    first place to start is by looking at all the carbs in foods you really like to eat and then asking yourself ‘can i really avoid those and only eat 20 net carbs a day’!!

if your honest with yourself and the answer is yes, my advice is to do lots of research outside of here from different sources and educate yourself with what your body will go through and what it WILL require more of the first couple months on a true keto diet and even a very close to keto low carb diet like i am on (30-40 carbs) that may put you in ketosis too or may not.. this is what i decided on was best ‘for me’ after researching and being honest with myself that it was my true achievable stressless carb level for me, i’d advice you think it out for a bit as well before jumping into a true keto diet for nothing..

NOT recommending you join at all, i didn’t...but a section on this website was still useful as an easy to understand introduction on various areas of a keto or low carb diet. it will show you what to expect, etc. https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto
  • ssmith0903
    ssmith0903 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    @MrsSylvie thank you for sharing that with me! I will definitely look into this a whole lot more. (:
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    ssmith0903 wrote: »
    Hello There

I recently started back here for tracking diet and workouts. I’ve seen people around me who have had success with a Keto plan, but I personally have no idea where to start.

Thanks y’all 😊

@ssmith0903 consider removing just one carb source and see how that goes. In my case I have to eat no more than 50 grams of carbs if I want to be in a state of nutritional ketosis which I did for a few years when I changed my WOE back in Oct 2014. Because I do a lot of nuts and dairy my carb range is more like 50-100 grams of carbs most days now. Keto is not for everyone. Because my time was running out to keep living I went Keto cold turkey which made for a hellish two weeks in my case but that passed. It took me two months of trying to realize in my case carbs were controlling me so I got ticked off at myself and did it cold turkey. If one is not in the middle of a carb related health crisis then one may wish to not take the cold turkey approach. Best of success in finding WOE that will work a life time for you. I was 63 and out of time after 40 years of losing weight only to wind up weighting 100%+ a short while later. Young people have more options/time to get it right. With the event this current pandemic we know the importance of regaining great health.
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I wanted something I didn't have to stop because of my longterm health. So no Keto for me.
  • Chillotaku
    Chillotaku Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thomas delauer has a ton great and informative vids about keto on youtube, I can listen to him all day and highly recommend.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    amckholmes wrote: »
    https://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

I would encourage you to join this group, the members are people who have eaten low carb or keto, some for many years. They can provide excellent input from real life experience, as opposed to a barrage of people without personal experience. :)

Did you mean to link to the Low Carb group? https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    ssmith0903 wrote: »
    Hello There

Thanks y’all 😊

When I think back on how I've lost weight over the years, one of the easiest times was when I was in Costa Rico for 6 weeks. I ate high carb rice and beans two or three times a day and tropical fruit all day long. I wasn't even trying to lose weight, but came home a size smaller. So I know that foods like that fill me up.

My issue now is the ready availability of high calorie, hyper-palatable foods that do not fill me up and are easy for me to overeat. Sure, one way to create a calorie deficit would be to be on an eating plan that just eliminated them all or only allowed them in absurdly small quantities. But I realize that is not a good plan for me.

I'm having meatloaf tonight and it would just feel wrong without at least 100 g of baked potato with it. For me, it's not the potato that's the problem, but the butter. So I limit the potato in order to limit the butter calories. I also have a lot of veggies with this - sometimes broccoli, tonight will be salad, with jicama, as I have this 4 pound jicama I'm trying to use up: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10796365/recipes-needed-to-use-up-a-4-pound-jicama :lol:
  • sarasmith32
    sarasmith32 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Keto is awesome. But go slow and find a level you can do for long time. Take 2 weeks to get to the diet you like, to make it comfortable.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I find food to be the easy part of keto/low carb. All I have to do is to choose foods low in carbs. Over thinking "food" just makes me want to eat.
  • mydogisthebestdogever
    mydogisthebestdogever Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Today I started Keto and I plan.on doing.it for just 2 months. I don't think I could do it longterm only because I really, really, really love potatoes. However, I am experimenting with Keto and seeing what my 2 month results will be in contrast to the CICO I've done for years. So far today it's been difficult since I'm used to grazing but I am still going to stick to it 60 days. Staying under 20 grams.of carbs.is harder than I thought. For instance even gum has 2 carbs. I'm used to chewing pieces a day and that would be half my carb allowance so I cut my gum down to 2 pieces a day. Gum is what I used to replace nicotine so it's a necessity.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Today I started Keto and I plan.on doing.it for just 2 months. I don't think I could do it longterm only because I really, really, really love potatoes. However, I am experimenting with Keto and seeing what my 2 month results will be in contrast to the CICO I've done for years. So far today it's been difficult since I'm used to grazing but I am still going to stick to it 60 days. Staying under 20 grams.of carbs.is harder than I thought. For instance even gum has 2 carbs. I'm used to chewing pieces a day and that would be half my carb allowance so I cut my gum down to 2 pieces a day. Gum is what I used to replace nicotine so it's a necessity.

It might be worth not going so aggressive on your carb restriction. When i go hardcore keto, i am around 30-40 net carbs. I also run higher protein and less fat. I generally closer to 30-35% protein, 10% carbs and 55-60% fats.

Additional, I found its much easier when i don't do dirty Keto and minimize the amount of keto replacement foods (i.e., cake). Keto has some delicious foods but you can easily have an 800 calorie hamburger bun.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    So i lost my first 50 lbs and kept it off for ten years just calorie counting. After many failed attempts to get abs with basic calorie counting, i finally said screw it and tried keto. The first time didn't go well because i did dirty keto. The second time has gone much better. I was 178 and as of this morning hit 164.9 and have ab definition.

What i am finding is even if i do go above 50g, i am still satiated through this diet. There are periods, like today, where i force myself to eat (i want high protein). I aim for 170g a day.

Next, you absolutely do not have to follow a diet for life. While i definitely believe in finding good habits, there is nothing wrong with shifting your diet as you go. For me, i will likely increase carbs after i hit my body goal and as i work towards gaining muscle. I also tend to eat more fruit in the summer and that won't change. And since I don't have a metabolic disorder, i personal have no issue if i go out of ketosis. I am mainly doing this for appetite suppression which still happens. And if i did care, i would just follow a carb day with an ultra low carb day to expedite getting back into ketosis.