Giving it another go. 107 pounds to lose.

Grace4Peace
Grace4Peace Posts: 5 Member
I'm not new to MFP and I'm certainly not new to weight loss. In fact, I've been at this for far longer than I care to admit and now I'm sitting on 107 extra pounds that I need to lose.

How did I get here? It started when I moved out of my parent's house. I realized I could eat whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted - and that's what I did. If I wanted cookie dough, I bought the ingredients and I ate cookie dough. If I wanted chips and dip, I bought chips and dip and ate it. While there's nothing wrong with eating what I want (ok, raw cookie dough is an issue) the problem came with portion control. I wouldn't stop at a handful of chips. I'd eat the whole bag in two days and an entire container of dip to go with it.

This behavior started in 2002 and in the past 18 years I have managed to slowly and steadily put on 77 pounds. I'm now 107 pounds overweight and miserable. I weigh more than I did when I was nine months pregnant with my son, and that bothers me. What really gets to me though is the reality that I have created for myself. I am 37 years old with a husband and a six year old son. I love my family but I do not love the idleness my life has created. I do not love being tired all the time, hurting when I get up in the morning and being short of breath just from carrying the laundry up the stairs. I don't love not having any clothes that fit me and constantly having to buy bigger sizes each season because nothing fits. I don't love feeling like a beached well and looking in the mirror with horror at what I have done to my body.

For me, it's no longer about losing weight, it's about getting healthy. It's about learning to say no when I eat chips, cookies, etc. To stop with one serving and to replace the bad food with good choices instead. That's what my journey is going to be about this time. Yes, I want to lose weight but I also want to be the healthiest version of me that I can be: physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually.

I'm finally willing to accept that this is going to be difficult and that's okay. I'm willing to accept that this isn't going to happen overnight, and that's okay too. I'm just going to focus on making healthy choices each day, and refining as I go. Before it was always an all or nothing approach. This time, I'm logging my calories and if it fits, that's fine and if it doesn't then I won't eat it. I'm not gonna be perfect (that's so hard for me to accept) but I'm going to be better.

My goal is to lose 107 pounds by my 40th birthday. That gives me about two years and five months to do so. (1 pound a week = 52 pounds a year = 104 pounds in 2 years)

If you're like me and you've struggled at all, please don't hesitate to send me a friend request. We can cheer each other on through this difficult journey and come out healthier in the end.

Replies

• cugogirl2017
    cugogirl2017 Posts: 8,764 Member
    @ Grace4Peace, Your honesty about your journey that brought you to this place and your willingness to choose healthy choices will really make you a success. Best wishes on your journey forward, you can do this step by step. Your story sounds so much like mine and many others. You are young and I think you will be surprised at how quickly your body responds to all your changes that you are making. Good luck, we are all cheering you on.
  • racheljanelam
    racheljanelam Posts: 1 Member
    @Grace4Peace after being overweight my whole life
    I lost 104 pounds after having my daughter. It is doable. Track everything, get to know your habits and be honest with yourself about your choices. To
    Often we skip logging things we are ashamed of, or at least I did/do. Also remember that if you have a slip up or a bad week, just get back on track. It isn’t a license to go off the rails (speaking from personal experience). You’ve got this.
  • Iwantahealthierme30
    Iwantahealthierme30 Posts: 293 Member
    I'm the same age as you. No kids, not married and about 77 pounds to lose. I am in a wheelchair from an accident and have learned that losing weight is possible through diet only, my weight problem started with medication and then spiraled from moving out too. I moved back with my parents necessarily and no longer cook, maybe your husband could do the cooking. I am exercising now I've lost 20 pounds since last year. Check out my diary, I've cut out soda, desserts (had one yesterday with my mom because mother's day) and am drinking a lot of water.
  • mkeane1722
    mkeane1722 Posts: 1 Member
    I am 68--69 next month-- and I have 50 pounds to lose. I'm only 5'0" tall, so that's a lot of weight to be carrying on a small frame. I now have arthritis in my left knee that keeps me from doing almost anything. Can't walk for sure. I have been on WW for 4 years and lost 17 pounds, but have gained most of it back. This morning I decided I need to do something different so I"m going to give this a go. I need all the encouragement I can get. I want to be able to move again. I want to feel good in my clothes. I'd like to feel like I look good in my clothes. HELP.
  • cesse47
    cesse47 Posts: 947 Member
    @Grace4Peace I've joined WW and MFP multiple times. This time I was determined to do things differently. First, I vowed to log EVERY bite and drink that passed my lips ... honestly and totally. Second, To incorporate exercise which I had not previously done (starting with baby steps). and, Third, to join a couple of groups and threads to help encourage me to stay on track. The first group I joined was the Larger Losers group mentioned above by NovusDies. It is a great group! The second group is called Fat2Fit which is broken up into teams. It has a habit tracker that I'm finding helpful and love my team. There are group challenges that you can choose to join or ignore if you wish. If you'd like to check them out, here's the link -- https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10793488/f2f-may-2020-registration-still-open-last-day/p4

Good Luck on your new journey to a healthier and more rewarding lifestyle!!
  • cesse47
    cesse47 Posts: 947 Member
    I'm the same age as you. No kids, not married and about 77 pounds to lose. I am in a wheelchair from an accident and have learned that losing weight is possible through diet only, my weight problem started with medication and then spiraled from moving out too. I moved back with my parents necessarily and no longer cook, maybe your husband could do the cooking. I am exercising now I've lost 20 pounds since last year. Check out my diary, I've cut out soda, desserts (had one yesterday with my mom because mother's day) and am drinking a lot of water.

So sorry about your accident. If you haven't done so, check out chair exercise vids on YouTube. They have some really good ones. You may have to try a few to find one that you like and that will work for you. My favorite is a chair yoga program. Good Luck!!
  • dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    mkeane1722 wrote: »
    I am 68--69 next month-- and I have 50 pounds to lose. I'm only 5'0" tall, so that's a lot of weight to be carrying on a small frame. I now have arthritis in my left knee that keeps me from doing almost anything. Can't walk for sure. I have been on WW for 4 years and lost 17 pounds, but have gained most of it back. This morning I decided I need to do something different so I"m going to give this a go. I need all the encouragement I can get. I want to be able to move again. I want to feel good in my clothes. I'd like to feel like I look good in my clothes. HELP.

Feel free to friend me I’m nearly 73 and have been on mfp for a very long time, although I’m eating good most times I’m not losing especially in this lock down. Good luck