CLIF bars

Options
NeahF
NeahF Posts: 49 Member
Are they good or bad for you?
Do you eat them? How often and what kind?

Replies

• harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    I don't think they are bad for you. If you like the taste, and can fit them in your calorie goals I see no issue with eating them. I like the Lara bars better than Clif bars.
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    Our house is into the peanut butter crunch. I have a bar on occasion and tend to cut it in half. Can't remember the last time I ate a whole one in a single sitting. They're really sweet/sugary tasting.

So, one half is enough for my longer bike rides (90+ min). They also keep in my pack very well over the long term.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I like them the ones I have are not really low calorie though, good for energy and to add cals, I put them in the toaster oven for a few min and cut them into little pieces to have with my coffee
  • NeahF
    NeahF Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I like them the ones I have are not really low calorie though, good for energy and to add cals, I put them in the toaster oven for a few min and cut them into little pieces to have with my coffee

Oooh never heard of that! Reminds me of a healthy poptart :D
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I have a few boxes of the minis in my car for before/after trail running/cycling (along with my fruit snacks).
  • ritzvin
    Options
    MaltedTea wrote: »
    Our house is into the peanut butter crunch. I have a bar on occasion and tend to cut it in half. Can't remember the last time I ate a whole one in a single sitting. They're really sweet/sugary tasting.

So, one half is enough for my longer bike rides (90+ min). They also keep in my pack very well over the long term.

I used to do the same (half a bar at 125-130 calories). They now sell boxes of "Mini" ones that are 100 calories each that I started buying (convenient & ~comparably priced). (Also makes it easier to stash in top tube bag).
  • Reynekai
    Reynekai Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I use to eat them. They taste good and are healthier than some of the alternatives. However I now eat maxines burn bars because they're lower in calories and fat.
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I like them. The peanut butter one is my reward for a big burn workout. I can't fit them in my calorie count otherwise.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    They're "good" in some contexts and "bad" in others. They're just a calorie-dense snack food that is high in carbohydrates. They're excellent as what they're designed for, food to sustain activity. I have them several times a year, I especially like the salty and nut butter filled versions.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Neither good or bad...it's just food.
    But, they are pretty calorie-heavy, so I only eat them in two situations:
    On a long hike as a snack, or as a lunch replacement if I am in a rare situation where I can't get a real lunch.
    I find them tasty and filling. My favorite is peanut toffee buzz...which has some caffeine for extra fun.
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    My fave was the white chocolate macadamia nut. I used to keep one on me at all times for unexpected blood sugar crashes... and I would pack one in my bag for kayaking on the river, or other similar outings. Haven’t bought any since starting MFP because of the calories... now that I have doing more endurance activities it actually might be a good thing to have one hand though!
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    I like them. Generally they are pretty high-calorie for my needs, so I use them for when I'm very active or when I'm traveling and need something in my stomach, but am having trouble stomach-ing things (I get motion sickness very easily, so clif bars are an airport staple for me).
  • cosmiqrecovery
    cosmiqrecovery Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    i keep a box in my car as an emergency breakfast/lunch, i just wish they had more protein (or that i hadn't eaten every flavor of builders bar into the ground). the new coffee shop flavors are nice as a pick-me-up since they have an espresso shot's worth of caffeine in each but my absolute favorite is the peanut butter banana with the dark chocolate chunks.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I love them. Certainly had no issue when i ate then during my initial 50 lb loss.
  • ritzvin
    Options
    They're "good" in some contexts and "bad" in others. They're just a calorie-dense snack food that is high in carbohydrates. They're excellent as what they're designed for, food to sustain activity. I have them several times a year, I especially like the salty and nut butter filled versions.

This. A great item to grab before/during/after cardio in/next to the car/on the bike/in the middle of a trail. But, IMO, a really bad item to have at the ready if a boredom snacker with down time and minimal extra exercise calories.
  • ritzvin
    Options
    i keep a box in my car as an emergency breakfast/lunch, i just wish they had more protein (or that i hadn't eaten every flavor of builders bar into the ground). the new coffee shop flavors are nice as a pick-me-up since they have an espresso shot's worth of caffeine in each but my absolute favorite is the peanut butter banana with the dark chocolate chunks.

I keep 1-2 boxes worth of Balance bars in the car 'food bag' along with the 1-2 boxes worth of Clif minis and fruit snacks. I'll reach for the Balance before Clif if I'm bit lower on protein that day.

Also a fan of the peanut butter banana. (Luckily, they were on major clearance on Amazon once upon a time, otherwise I might never have tried the flavor). (I'm kind of hoping the newer minis catch on in popularity and more flavors translate over since they are so much more convenient). Even when mountaineering (where I would eventually eat the entire thing), I tended to keep them in a front pouch and nibble them in smaller more frequent increments.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,617 Member
    Options
    I like the kidz clif chocolate chip bar. Fewer calories than the grown up bars but still tastes great.