About Cooking Fish

Options
What kind of fish can be steamed and grilled?

and what is the best and healthy style of cooking fish,, fried,,bbq,,microwave,,steamed or grilled?

Replies

• choijanro
    choijanro Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    bump

plsss i need serious people and positive people who answer my thread ,, not negative people who always hate me,attacking me,doubt me,jealous,spam and accuse me of trolling ,, :mad: :angry: :explode: :grumble: :noway: :ohwell: :indifferent: :frown: :huh:
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,968 Member
    Options
    Nobody has responded yet so why be defensive. Anyway, pretty much any fish can be steamed or grilled.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    :drinker: catch and release in the grease baby...I like small bass where they're legal to keep (doesn't matter "true" or those in the sunfish family).
  • julien999
    julien999 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    pretty much all fish is good the oily ones are usually promoted as being better for you with the added Omegas they provide.
    Avoid any frying, breading or heavy sauces.
    I just switched to being a vegetarian but used to make a lot of salmon just simply wrapped in tinfoil with a slice of lemon you can do this with pretty much any fish.
    For cold fish I love smoked Mackerel but its very fishy so some don't like.
    Shrimp are a lot of calories just as a heads up.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,968 Member
    Options
    pretty much all fish is good the oily ones are usually promoted as being better for you with the added Omegas they provide.
    Avoid any frying, breading or heavy sauces.
    I just switched to being a vegetarian but used to make a lot of salmon just simply wrapped in tinfoil with a slice of lemon you can do this with pretty much any fish.
    For cold fish I love smoked Mackerel but its very fishy so some don't like.
    What's wrong with frying, breading and heavy sauces other than the extra calories?
  • rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    Options

Shrimp are virtually all protein (very little fat and carbs) but are high in cholesterol.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Microwaving fish is pretty tricky. Like chicken, it's easy to make fish chewy if you do it in the microwave.

Most fish can be baked, poached, steamed, sauteed or fried. To grill a fish, you need one that is more likely to stay together. That's why it is easier to grill a whole fish -- because you have the skin on it to keep it together. If you are talking about a grill pan or electric griller, this is less of a problem than over an open fire.

There are many healthy ways to cook fish. About the only ways to cook that would be unhealthy are those heavy in fat or salt. Fish is best if it's kept moist during cooking and if it is not overcooked.

This link has lots of good info: http://fishcooking.about.com/od/howtochoosefreshfish/u/basic_tab.htm
  • phatguerilla
    phatguerilla Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Pretty much any fish can be steamed. Flaky fish is not really suitable for grilling, can fall apart, but things like salmon, cod, etc that hold their shape can be grilled. You can poach fish in the microwave which is a handy way to do it. Shrimp is not a lot of calories I don't know how anyone could have thought that. Any shellfish will be extremely lean and a great source of tasty protein.
  • choijanro
    Options
    Nobody has responded yet so why be defensive. Anyway, pretty much any fish can be steamed or grilled.

well,, because when I start joining here on mfp,, i though all of people here are positive & nice just like me,, but i was mad because there are some negative people here too on mfp,, always make fun of my thread and comments,trolling, spam,tripping,, hate,, jealous,,,attacking me and also accusing me of troll with no reasons or nonsense reasons,,
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I find steamed fish boring. Baked too, unless it's swimming in yummy white wine butter sauce, but then that kinda defeats the purpose. I like fish pan fried in a little olive oil with salt & pepper and some fresh herbs and lots of lemon. Salmon, trout, sea bass...those are the ones I cook at home most often.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I never steam any meat, but steamed fish might be okay. Generally, I pan sear, bake, broil or grill fish. Thin flaky fish can be hard to turn on a grill so I do that rarely, or in a foil pack with veggies. Steak fish, like tuna or swordfish, are best pan seared or grilled IMO. Poached fish is pretty good too.

Any of these methods are healthy and can use as much or as little fat as you care to add.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    What kind of fish can be steamed and grilled?

and what is the best and healthy style of cooking fish,, fried,,bbq,,microwave,,steamed or grilled?

This does not answer what kind of fish can be steamed or grilled, but will answer your question on different ways to cook it.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1079558-breast-chicken
  • justlistening
    justlistening Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I would also suggest baking fish in a foil packet. Just add lemon, salt, pepper, & herbs.
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I love grilled swordfish with an olive tapenade, but swordfish is expensive where I am. Salmon does well on a grill, as are tuna steaks. For grilling directly on the grates, your best bets are ocean fish because they tend to be sturdier than river fish. I second the suggestion of grilling in foil with lemon and seasonings for river fish.
  • Fit_Mama84
    Fit_Mama84 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I like to cook fish by sprinkling seasoning oneach side and cooking them in a pan on top of the stove. All you need is a little spray in the pan (I use canola spray) and throw in for a few minutes. It's quick and super easy.
  • twinteensmom
    twinteensmom Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite ways to cook fish goes like this. Take haddock, or tilapia filets and very lightly coat with bread crumbs. I spray a 13x9 pan with cooking spray. Put the fish in the pan and put a small bit of butter(I use "I Can't Believe it's not Butter" lite) on each piece. Then, pour milk into the pan just until each piece of fish is surrounded but not covered. Cover the pan tightly with foil and bake in a 350 degree oven for 25 minutes. The fish will fall apart. I never season the bread crumbs and only use a little lemon juice to flavor the fish after it is done. Yummy! This will work whether or not you coat the fish with bread crumbs. I have had it both ways. The fish is always perfect.
  • choijanro
    Options
    all of u guys has great answer and opinion

tnx to ur info guys,, let me experiment whats taste very good :)
  • Falcon957
    Falcon957 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Personally, I prefer to BROIL my fish. Salmon is one of my favorites along with scallops. I broil the fish for exactly 12 minutes which seems to be just right for me. I do not turn or flip the fish. Lastly, I avoid Fried or Grilled fish for health reasons. Plan on steaming (poaching) some salmon soon.. should be very tasty.

Good luck,

Bill S
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I like...

Grill - tuna, mahi mahi, sea bass, snapper, salmon, halibut

Steamed - I don't steam fish often...but I like Hake and Cod

Pan or Deep Fried - most any white fish

Roasted - Salmon

Also love ceviche...

They're all healthy for you in different ways.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

well,, because when I start joining here on mfp,, i though all of people here are positive & nice just like me,, but i was mad because there are some negative people here too on mfp,, always make fun of my thread and comments,trolling, spam,tripping,, hate,, jealous,,,attacking me and also accusing me of troll with no reasons or nonsense reasons,,

You mean by creating dupe threads just inserting fish in the title instead of chicken breast?

as for the OP I'd go with en papillote