Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m80949XTvC1qlgvw1o1_500_large.jpg
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Look at OPs diary before you comment.
    He's not starving by any means.

But why would you eat, for example, 12 whole-wheat crackers with nut butter and chocolate chips for 600kcal if you can have a more satiating, balanced meal for - probably - fewer calories?

If it's for the sake of health, that's misguided, especially after consuming a 20oz "double double" Tim Horton coffee in the morning or an egg McMuffin.

Granted, you can get your calories from anywhere, but why make yourself miserable? OP already said he feels like he's eating so little.

Eating is psychological as well as physiological.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Eating is psychological as well as physiological.

Exactly... and OP is on a one-way ticket to a binge.
  • Nix143
    Nix143 Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Hey OP, you don't have a large post count so I'll just say

- that maybe your approach isn't the healthiest one
    - that maybe cutting so hard is actually counter productive
    - that there is a lot of information around about how adequate nutrition is so important, particularly if you want to look 'lean'
    - that part of looking lean is maintaining muscle mass and to do that you have to eat enough

There is so much information both on here and out there on the web about why what you've chosen to do is probably not going to work. I hope you achieve your goals, good luck :)
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    OP, do you really think it is wise to have your telephone number on your avatar?
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    just eating less and less isnt going to be sustainable

This x1000.

When your metabolism continues to slow because you're systematically starving yourself, are you just going to keep reducing the amount you eat all the way to 0 calories? You're an active 50-year-old, not a bedridden 95-year-old. You've got a long way to go, and you are making the path ahead a difficult one for yourself. I encourage you to rethink this.
  • TyTy76
    TyTy76 Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    OP, do you really think it is wise to have your telephone number on your avatar?

Imma text him in a bit..
  • johnrossmckay
    johnrossmckay Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    The crackers and almond butter were a binge item...not proud of it. It was chocolate chips the night before. I was doing wine every night for a while as well.

I struggle with time management and a workplace that is.... Need to sort out how to be a full time single dad with a 1.5 hour commute still. I use that to rationalize the breakfast sandwiches and coffees...not good. They have to stop. I need to move to finding time to eat breakfast at home and cut out the darn coffee. I eat when I am stressed and am more likely to do so at night when I am tired. Even though my dinner is usually still in my stomach and I am not hungry.

I just need to clean up the diet I guess. Stop eating so much crap. I find the quickest and most readily available meals are the ones I need to avoid. No more excuses
  • johnrossmckay
    johnrossmckay Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Appreciate the input. Somewhat embarrassed. Didn't realize I was that extreme. (Fades into background). Will do more research, read more threads, come up with a healthier plan, good work. Bye.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Appreciate the input. Somewhat embarrassed. Didn't realize I was that extreme. (Fades into background). Will do more research, read more threads, come up with a healthier plan, good work. Bye.

Don't be embarrassed. No one knows everything. Lots of us are learning.
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    I'm eating 1000 calories a day (except for 2 "regular" days a week), but mine is intentionally extreme. The interesting part is that I'm in a severe deficit (TDEE is 3600), exercising 3x a day, and my lifts are still increasing.

You can easily eat a large amount more than you are (get your numbers right, make sure you measure EVERYTHING you eat), the only reason I'm at this extreme is to meet my job weight requirements in 2 months.

One of the best ways you can use this site is to experiment with what works for you, and find what you can maintain for the rest of your life.

ETA; You 'might' want to look into intermittant fasting of sorts. I've always found that when I eat breakfast, I'm starving by lunch. If I don't eat breakfast, I'm not hungry until 12-1pm, and I eat 3 times from 1 to 9pm... I'm not having an issue eating the way I do using this approach.
  • 5ftnFun
    5ftnFun Posts: 948 Member
    Options

That's the truth! When I was a teen/young adult, we used to think getting a sunburn was a great way to get a head start on our summer tan, and smoking cigarettes & drinking TAB was a great way to help our diets (and I remember 800-1000 calorie diets were the norm). I lost my weight when I was about 20, but I know FAR more about nutrition & health now than I did back then.
    I wish I knew back then what I know now. :ohwell:
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    #firstworldproblems
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    There's no need to be embarrassed and leave! Please let us *help* you come up with a sustainable, enjoyable way for you to eat!

You can peek into my diary if you want to. I weigh a bit over 180#, am a 5' 7" almost 38 year old female, and I eat 1800 calories a day. I get 180 grams of protein per day too. I have been getting my treats into my diet, and I eat plenty of fruits and vegetables. I went to bed feeling quite full yesterday, and I don't feel deprived (because some days I eat 2500+ calories). Then again, I'm quite content with losing no more than 1/2 a pound a week, because I do not want to lose any muscle mass. I'm not having a race with anyone to get as small as humanly possible as fast as humanly possible.

I encourage you to keep coming back to us for feedback. You just have to find what works for you.
  • msjersey73
    msjersey73 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    try to increase your protein intake, so your getting at least 1500 cals daily.
    and the rest sounds good. You inspired me!!!!
    keep it up
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's to prove that I can do it when I am surrounded by obese people...my way of being better than everyone else - that is pathetic. But the effort required to get lean is a journey that is developing discipline and determination and planning and THAT has to be a good thing.

That's a very disordered way to look at it. 1) Your body is not a statement TOWARDS anyone else. 2) Deprivation - be it physical or mental - is not a way to prove strength or virtue.
  • msjersey73
    msjersey73 Posts: 182 Member
    Options

TRY THE BOOK "THE NEW SUGAR-BUSTERS!"
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

^ Seriously, this. You've also been respectful about it. There are a good number of people willing to help. If you are embarrassed then drop some PMs with questions. Everyone won't agree, but part of the learning process is weeding through advice and building a plan, then testing it.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    aren't we all judgy mcjudgersons today...

Looking at his dairy and going under the assumption that most all of us overestimate exercise, dude's just eating a low calorie diet. 1000 is net.

I don't see the big outrage here.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    You should research the maximal metabolic rate for fat as energy - once you exceed that, any further deficit needs to come from your fat free mass.