ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    OP you should read and watch this.

http://www.leighpeele.com/starvation-mode
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    I don't see the big outrage here.
    No outrage; just trying to help him with his mental outlook is all.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Anyone question whether his 1000 cals REALLY are 1000 cals? Considering the most common mistake people make is underestimating how much they eat, wouldn't that be the first thing to check?
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I could not survive on 1000 calories a day. Seriously. I would die.
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    there is a VERY big difference between surviving and being healthy....

QFT + infinity + 1.

do i want to survive? sure! but i'm not a castaway on an island with tom hanks and wilson. i want to enjoy food and enjoy life.
  • 5ftnFun
    5ftnFun Posts: 948 Member
    Options

I don't know if I'd die on 1000 calories a day, but someone close to me might be in danger. :tongue:
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Anyone question whether his 1000 cals REALLY are 1000 cals? Considering the most common mistake people make is underestimating how much they eat, wouldn't that be the first thing to check?

But the number on paper is always and unquestionably true! Obviously everything can be questioned except that!
  • highervibes
    Options

I don't know if I'd die on 1000 calories a day, but someone close to me might be in danger. :tongue:

True, I should correct it to SOMEONE would die if I were on 1000 calories/day lol
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    The majority of people would be in or nearing hypothermia after 20 minutes in 50 degree water.

I know a guy who can do that like he just stepped out of a warm bath.

There are differences in physiology.

Get over it. Not everyone needs to eat according to the "norm".

Oh, and 1000 calories of vegetables, fruits and fish is a far cry more nutritious than 1000 calories of pop-tarts.
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    The majority of people would be in or nearing hypothermia after 20 minutes in 50 degree water.

Oh, and 1000 calories of vegetables, fruits and fish is a far cry more nutritious than 1000 calories of pop-tarts.

tGjEejc.gif
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Appreciate the input. Somewhat embarrassed. Didn't realize I was that extreme. (Fades into background). Will do more research, read more threads, come up with a healthier plan, good work. Bye.
    There's no need to be embarrassed and leave! Please let us *help* you come up with a sustainable, enjoyable way for you to eat!

You can peek into my diary if you want to. I weigh a bit over 180#, am a 5' 7" almost 38 year old female, and I eat 1800 calories a day. I get 180 grams of protein per day too. I have been getting my treats into my diet, and I eat plenty of fruits and vegetables. I went to bed feeling quite full yesterday, and I don't feel deprived (because some days I eat 2500+ calories). Then again, I'm quite content with losing no more than 1/2 a pound a week, because I do not want to lose any muscle mass. I'm not having a race with anyone to get as small as humanly possible as fast as humanly possible.

I encourage you to keep coming back to us for feedback. You just have to find what works for you.

If number of calories is the only issue, I'm not sure you can help the OP much. In looking at the past few days of both your diaries, he eat MORE than you.
  • msjersey73
    msjersey73 Posts: 182 Member
    Options

THIS IS ABSOLUTE TRUTH!
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    If number of calories is the only issue, I'm not sure you can help the OP much. In looking at the past few days of both your diaries, he eat MORE than you.
    I rather thought my point was that the number of calories *wasn't* the only issue. I don't even care how many calories he's eating (assuming it is adequate). All I'm trying to get across is that the madonna-*kitten* complex so many people have around food and calorie restriction is a self-destructive attitude and that getting the most out of your calories (nutrition AND pleasure) is a *good* thing!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I rather thought my point was that the number of calories *wasn't* the only issue. I don't even care how many calories he's eating (assuming it is adequate). All I'm trying to get across is that the madonna-*kitten* complex so many people have around food and calorie restriction is a self-destructive attitude and that getting the most out of your calories (nutrition AND pleasure) is a *good* thing!

Oh, sorry I missed your point. Can't say I really know what you are saying in this one either, but hopefully the OP gets it.
  • johnrossmckay
    johnrossmckay Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I checked around a bit. I'm thinking I am over representing calories burned during exercise.

I also notice that many of the people who feel I am eating too little are eating less than I am. At least gross as opposed to net.
  • highervibes
    Options
    I checked around a bit. I'm thinking I am over representing calories burned during exercise.

I also notice that many of the people who feel I am eating too little are eating less than I am. At least gross as opposed to net.

Some people have excercise already factored into their TDEE method, so net numbers are irrlelevant in those cases. My fitbit adds extra calories all the time, but my goal based on TDEE is 1900.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

very possible, and very common.

Net is more important than gross.
  • johnrossmckay
    Options
    Yeah and I also allow my fitbit to add and subtract exercise calories to my total. Right now it is cancelling out the workout I entered for tonight because it can tell I haven't done it yet. So sometimes when I walk 14000 or 15000 steps at work but don't report it, fitbit does the addition. If it feels I over represented the burn from a workout it subtracts. I have to take it off to play guitar because I can get a thousand steps for a few songs.
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Net is not more important than gross, because energy balance and nutrition are two separate issues.
  • johnrossmckay
    Options
    Good point. I missed that.