Diet Transition

maisieraef
maisieraef Posts: 15 Member
Hi all! I’ve been on a vegetarian diet for 42 days now and I’ve lost 18lbs. I’ve been in a rut for the past few days because I’ve been finding it hard to reach my calorie goal and without enough protein I’ve felt very faint. I decided to start eating sea food and chicken again, but I’m so scared that I’m going to gain all the weight back. I’m obviously continuing to follow my calorie deficit lifestyle but I’m just paranoid. Please send advice!

Replies

• harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    As long as you are in a calorie deficit you will lose weight. It doesn't sound like you were following a healthy vegetarian diet. Keep logging your food and any exercise, and set a,reasonable weight loss goal.

How much weight are you trying to lose?
  • maisieraef
    Although getting enough protein is important for health, it's not the low protein that's making you feel faint. You're most likely undereating. 18 lbs in 42 days averages out to 3 lbs per week. That's 2, 3, or even 6 times faster than what would be safe for weight loss depending on your stats (unless you're super morbidly obese).

You may need to work on your mental wellbeing. Undereating and irrational fear of food are red flags and could be a slippery slope to something worse if not caught early, worse than regaining the weight.

As for food, how do you see yourself eating 10 years from now? Imagine the most normal way of eating you can imagine and build your diet around it. Eat that way with a reasonable calorie deficit (don't be tempted to undereat), and you'll slowly get where you want to be. You may have irrational fears and uncomfortable feelings at first, try to fight through them as they may have been triggered by undereating and may go away on their own. If they don't go away within a few weeks, seek professional help as soon as you're able. Your mental health is very important, don't ignore it.

Thank you for the reply! I think the quick weight loss is because I am quite overweight.
  • hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    A healthy vegetarian diet has enough protein. If you aren't having enough and feel faint, you need to fix your diet. Adding seafood and chicken sounds like a good and reasonably easy place to start, just know that getting the protein is possible on a vegetarian diet.

It might be even easier to stay on deficit once you have enough protein, since protein is a major factor in making people feel satiated and full. Of course this is a general statement and might not apply to everyone, but it's good to see if you're one of them.

Also, 18lbs in 42 days is 3lbs per week. That's too fast for most people, no wonder you're feeling faint. Slow down. Your post reads to me like you're starving yourself of both energy and protein, both of which are necessary for survival and especially long-term sustained results. If you have a lot of weight to lose (50+ lbs), set your goal to 1.5 or 2 lbs per week, if less, just set it to 1lbs per week. Eat the calories the app tells you to, and include enough protein. As a general rule of thumb, a nice amount of protein for most people would be one gram per weight in kilos. Another way of looking at it is paying attention to the macro recommendations in MFP app, and trying to hit that protein goal.
  • maisieraef
    edited May 2020
    maisieraef wrote: »
    Hi all! I’ve been on a vegetarian diet for 42 days now and I’ve lost 18lbs. I’ve been in a rut for the past few days because I’ve been finding it hard to reach my calorie goal and without enough protein I’ve felt very faint. I decided to start eating sea food and chicken again, but I’m so scared that I’m going to gain all the weight back. I’m obviously continuing to follow my calorie deficit lifestyle but I’m just paranoid. Please send advice!

I think it’s important for me to add that my starting weight was 310lbs. I am a college student who ate VERY poorly and never cared about calorie deficits. This is why the weight came off this quickly, I am not starving myself but such a big change in my diet led my body to react to it like this. I appreciate all the concerns! I’m mentally healthy and physically doing my best. Im eating around 1600 calories a day. Is this enough? If someone could tell me how much I should be eating it would help. I now weigh 290, female, and I’m 5’8. The calculator I used just seemed like too much calories to consume.
  • maisieraef

I think it’s important for me to add that my starting weight was 310 lbs. I am a college student who ate VERY poorly and never cared about calorie deficits. This is why the weight came off this quickly, I am not starving myself but such a big change in my diet led my body to react to it like this. I appreciate all the concerns! I’m mentally healthy and physically doing my best.

That gives a little bit of context, thank you for adding this. I too lost a little bit under 20 lbs in the first two months because I was very heavy. My previous point of imagining the most normal way of eating to you, and building your diet around that may be the most sustainable way to get to your goal weight and stay there.

I started super morbidly obese (even heavier than you) and I am now maintaining my goal weight. I wouldn't have been able to achieve this if I didn't treat weight loss as training wheels for maintenance. How did you eat before college? What types of food are you used to? What do you like? Make a list of some things you like, some things you don't mind having less often, and some things you don't particularly like but eat just because they're available. The things you like, are they high in calories? If you tweak them to make them lower in calories (example: more vegetables in pasta) will you still like them?

In my case, I found out I was adding way too much oil (mostly olive oil) to my food. I could do with less oil so I lowered the amount gradually and it was one of the easiest changes I had to make. I saved 300 calories just in oil without having to change my diet drastically. I made similar tweaks to things I didn't mind having less of. Some things I didn't need to tweak because I didn't have them often enough to matter (like pizza), some things I had to start eating less often, and some things I needed to eat more of because they were satisfying and had lower calories. Tweaks, not changes. The easier you make it for yourself the more likely the weight loss will last.

Wow, thank you for your replies! I think that tracking my calories has helped me just be conscious of what I’m eating because in the past I would eat anything and everything throughout the day. What are your thoughts of me eating around 1600 calories a day? That’s what I’ve been aiming for.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member

I think it’s important for me to add that my starting weight was 310 lbs. I am a college student who ate VERY poorly and never cared about calorie deficits. This is why the weight came off this quickly, I am not starving myself but such a big change in my diet led my body to react to it like this. I appreciate all the concerns! I’m mentally healthy and physically doing my best.

That gives a little bit of context, thank you for adding this. I too lost a little bit under 20 lbs in the first two months because I was very heavy. My previous point of imagining the most normal way of eating to you, and building your diet around that may be the most sustainable way to get to your goal weight and stay there.

I started super morbidly obese (even heavier than you) and I am now maintaining my goal weight. I wouldn't have been able to achieve this if I didn't treat weight loss as training wheels for maintenance. How did you eat before college? What types of food are you used to? What do you like? Make a list of some things you like, some things you don't mind having less often, and some things you don't particularly like but eat just because they're available. The things you like, are they high in calories? If you tweak them to make them lower in calories (example: more vegetables in pasta) will you still like them?

In my case, I found out I was adding way too much oil (mostly olive oil) to my food. I could do with less oil so I lowered the amount gradually and it was one of the easiest changes I had to make. I saved 300 calories just in oil without having to change my diet drastically. I made similar tweaks to things I didn't mind having less of. Some things I didn't need to tweak because I didn't have them often enough to matter (like pizza), some things I had to start eating less often, and some things I needed to eat more of because they were satisfying and had lower calories. Tweaks, not changes. The easier you make it for yourself the more likely the weight loss will last.

Wow, thank you for your replies! I think that tracking my calories has helped me just be conscious of what I’m eating because in the past I would eat anything and everything throughout the day. What are your thoughts of me eating around 1600 calories a day? That’s what I’ve been aiming for.

Are you aware that if you're more active you get to eat more calories? 1600 calories, initially, sounds like enough food to get decent nutrition, but if you're more active or also exercise, you can afford to eat more to fuel your activity level. I personally started with 1500+ exercise calories (around 150 more calories from exercise was all I could do at first) then bumped it up a couple of months later to 1650+ exercise (for a total of about 2000). If your base number is not too low for your activity level (1600 sounds good if you're not very active outside of exercise) it's up to you to bump it higher if it feels more sustainable.

About feeling faint: how is your B12 and iron intake? I'm very particular about meat and will only eat it prepared in a few ways, so I don't eat it often. This leads to undereating iron and B12 sometimes and I'm prone to being deficient in them every once in a while. I try to keep track of these two nutrients in addition to calories to make sure I'm averaging enough.
  • maisieraef
    edited May 2020

Are you aware that if you're more active you get to eat more calories? 1600 calories, initially, sounds like enough food to get decent nutrition, but if you're more active or also exercise, you can afford to eat more to fuel your activity level. I personally started with 1500+ exercise calories (around 150 more calories from exercise was all I could do at first) then bumped it up a couple of months later to 1650+ exercise (for a total of about 2000). If your base number is not too low for your activity level (1600 sounds good if you're not very active outside of exercise) it's up to you to bump it higher if it feels more sustainable.

About feeling faint: how is your B12 and iron intake? I'm very particular about meat and will only eat it prepared in a few ways, so I don't eat it often. This leads to undereating iron and B12 sometimes and I'm prone to being deficient in them every once in a while. I try to keep track of these two nutrients in addition to calories to make sure I'm averaging enough.

I’m currently walking about 2 miles a day so I burn about 370 calories or so (according to my watch). For example, today i ate 1,676 calories and I burned 375 on my walk (622 total throughout the day) . So I’m doing that while eating 1600 calories or a little more. I actually haven’t thought about my iron intake. Since I’m not eating red meat, should I buy B12 supplements as a replacement?
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member

I’m currently walking about 2 miles a day so I burn about 370 calories or so (according to my watch). For example, today i ate 1,676 calories and I burned 375 on my walk (622 total throughout the day) . So I’m doing that while eating 1600 calories or a little more. I actually haven’t thought about my iron intake. Since I’m not eating red meat, should I buy B12 supplements as a replacement?

I had diagnosed deficiencies whenever I had to take supplements. Maybe it's safer to get a blood test and see if you need to supplement anything. If you're walking 2 miles and are otherwise sedentary, I think you can afford to eat about 1800 calories to start (watches can over-estimate calories). If you keep losing weight fast for the next month or two, you can afford to increase your calories even more. In my experience, weight loss slowed down to a reasonable pace 3 months in.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,030 Member
    edited May 2020
    If you have other reasons for the vegetarianism, I won't argue with them. But if it's purely for weight loss, it's optional.

I say this as someone who's been vegetarian for not 42 days, but for more than 45 years. As a vegetarian, I was thin, then fat, then obese for several decades, and now thin again. Vegetarianism is a fine thing, and usually people have some philosophical reasons for going that route.

If there's nothing of that sort motivating you, it's completely irrelevant for weight loss (in the abstract**), and it makes good nutrition just that tiny bit more difficult, not to mention making one's social life a little more complicated. (Those are not insurmountable obstacles, obviously, just considerations.)

** Some people seem to find it easier to cut calories when eating in a whole new way, I've heard. Like @amusedmonkey, I think it makes the most sense to lose weight eating the same way it will be easy for you to eat permanently.

It's possible to get adequate nutrition (including protein) as a vegetarian. Looking back to when I was losing, I seem to have been getting around 95g+ most days back when I was eating around 1600 calories.

I'm inclined to agree with others, by the way, that the symptoms you're having are more about losing weight faster than ideal than about under-nutrition of some kind (in 42 days) or purely dietary change.

Best wishes!
  • maisieraef
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    If you have other reasons for the vegetarianism, I won't argue with them. But if it's purely for weight loss, it's optional.

I say this as someone who's been vegetarian for not 42 days, but for more than 45 years. As a vegetarian, I was thin, then fat, then obese for several decades, and now thin again. Vegetarianism is a fine thing, and usually people have some philosophical reasons for going that route.

If there's nothing of that sort motivating you, it's completely irrelevant for weight loss (in the abstract**), and it makes good nutrition just that tiny bit more difficult, not to mention making one's social life a little more complicated. (Those are not insurmountable obstacles, obviously, just considerations.)

** Some people seem to find it easier to cut calories when eating in a whole new way, I've heard. Like @amusedmonkey, I think it makes the most sense to lose weight eating the same way it will be easy for you to eat permanently.

It's possible to get adequate nutrition (including protein) as a vegetarian. Looking back to when I was losing, I seem to have been getting around 95g+ most days back when I was eating around 1600 calories.

I'm inclined to agree with others, by the way, that the symptoms you're having are more about losing weight faster than ideal than about under-nutrition of some kind (in 42 days) or purely dietary change.

Best wishes!

Thank you for the reply! I also think the symptoms I was having were due to me under eating. I am now eating more calories and I feel much better!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,030 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Best wishes!

Thank you for the reply! I also think the symptoms I was having were due to me under eating. I am now eating more calories and I feel much better!

Yay: Glad to hear it! Betting you'll find that you can eat a bit more, and still lose weight at a sensible (and sustainable!) rate. :)
  • hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    @maisieraef I'm also female and 5'8 tall, so let's compare. I currently weigh about 218lbs, so quite a lot less than you. I lose weight when I eat at 1800-2000 calorie range. This doesn't account for activity levels, but gives you an idea. Since you have a lot more weight to sustain with your intake, 1600 sounds like a minimum requirement for staying healthy.

Also, for nutrients: B12 is only found naturally in animal products, but it's added as a supplement to many things, especially cereal. If you're eating a cereal, check the box to see if what you eat already has it as a supplement. In general, getting some regular multivitamins and taking a pill a day might not be a bad idea, especially if you're experimenting with vegetarianism and still not familiar with how to get necessary nutrients from that diet.
  • maisieraef
    hipari wrote: »
    @maisieraef I'm also female and 5'8 tall, so let's compare. I currently weigh about 218lbs, so quite a lot less than you. I lose weight when I eat at 1800-2000 calorie range. This doesn't account for activity levels, but gives you an idea. Since you have a lot more weight to sustain with your intake, 1600 sounds like a minimum requirement for staying healthy.

Also, for nutrients: B12 is only found naturally in animal products, but it's added as a supplement to many things, especially cereal. If you're eating a cereal, check the box to see if what you eat already has it as a supplement. In general, getting some regular multivitamins and taking a pill a day might not be a bad idea, especially if you're experimenting with vegetarianism and still not familiar with how to get necessary nutrients from that diet.

I’m just finding myself not being hungry enough to eat over 1700 calories. Today I walked 3 miles and I ate approximately 1,777 calories. Does this mean I’m only sustaining my weight rather then losing? Should I eat more or do you think I’m fine?
  • KrissFlavored
    KrissFlavored Posts: 327 Member
    People often pick too many lowest calorie foods, if you have a goal like 1700, eat more calorie dense foods. You have to consume more food the lower the calories you aim for

Today I ate rice and shrimp cooked in cajun spices and a sauce made with both oil and margarine together.

It wasnt a large meal but it had good protein and fat for satiety and was calorie dense, 550 calories.

My dinner was spicy honey chicken with potato and veggies, which was 640 calories. So I've hit 1200 already, I had a snack of 6 crackers, 3T cream cheese and chicken and sweet thai sauce, 430 calories.

Now I'm at least hitting 1600 and they weren't stuff you til you pop meals.

I end the night with a 100 calorie ice cream bar.

Day done.

Just gotta get creative with your cooking.

I am 247lbs and that is enough for a 1lbs per week loss.
  • maisieraef
    edited May 2020
    People often pick too many lowest calorie foods, if you have a goal like 1700, eat more calorie dense foods. You have to consume more food the lower the calories you aim for

Today I ate rice and shrimp cooked in cajun spices and a sauce made with both oil and margarine together.

It wasnt a large meal but it had good protein and fat for satiety and was calorie dense, 550 calories.

My dinner was spicy honey chicken with potato and veggies, which was 640 calories. So I've hit 1200 already, I had a snack of 6 crackers, 3T cream cheese and chicken and sweet thai sauce, 430 calories.

Now I'm at least hitting 1600 and they weren't stuff you til you pop meals.

I end the night with a 100 calorie ice cream bar.

Day done.

Just gotta get creative with your cooking.

I am 247lbs and that is enough for a 1lbs per week loss.

This is exactly my problem! I started off buying things that were no calories or low calories. I stopped using olive oil and instead used coconut oil spray which is 0 calories, but you’re right and even things like that could help me reach my calorie goal. I do enjoy snacks but I’ve found myself having to add so many to reach my goal. Since I weigh 290 at the moment, how many calories do you think I should eat if I’m walking 3 miles some days? Thanks so much!
  • KrissFlavored
    Yep. Lol. I think if you tried to find some recipes, your vegetarian but I'm sure there is lots of calorie dense recipes out there, with sauces and stuff to really flavor up your meals, pack a good calorie punch and not leave you feeling like you're just a conveyer belt of non stop food, you would find hitting goal much easier.
  • maisieraef
    Yep. Lol. I think if you tried to find some recipes, your vegetarian but I'm sure there is lots of calorie dense recipes out there, with sauces and stuff to really flavor up your meals, pack a good calorie punch and not leave you feeling like you're just a conveyer belt of non stop food, you would find hitting goal much easier.

I edited my post last minute but just Incase you didn’t see it, I was wondering how many calories you think I should be eating if I weigh 290 right now and walk 3 miles every other day?
  • KrissFlavored
    I think you should set mfp to lose 1 or 1.5lbs per week and set yourself to lightly active and see how many calories that gives you.