How do you celebrate your birthday whilst dieting?

Options
Hi everyone tomorrow is my 28th birthday and usually my birthday revolves around food and drink, breakfast in bed, family lunch,dinner with friends and a night drinking at a bar or at karaoke!! Oh and of course the cake several servings naturally and then leftover cake for breakfast the next day when i have a hangover,not forgetting the 10 boxes of chocolate you received because everyone thinks buying a fat girl chocolate is the perfect gift !!
This year i don't want that,its not the person i want to be anymore ...everyday your either making a positive step towards your goal or your moving further away from it.
Im changing my lifestyle and i think my birthday is a positive way to start. Can anyone give me any ideas how to spend my birthday in a healthy way? Thanks

Replies

• Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    1 day won't ruin your progress.. so do whatever you want.
  • IronCakes
    IronCakes Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    EAT ALL THE FOOD!
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Plan for a more active outing rather than food, if you'd rather not do the food/drink thing. Or plan for those extra calories and burn them off earlier this week or after your birthday so you account for them.

It's your birthday. Celebrate. It's just one day.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone tomorrow is my 28th birthday and usually my birthday revolves around food and drink, breakfast in bed, family lunch,dinner with friends and a night drinking at a bar or at karaoke!! Oh and of course the cake several servings naturally and then leftover cake for breakfast the next day when i have a hangover,not forgetting the 10 boxes of chocolate you received because everyone thinks buying a fat girl chocolate is the perfect gift !!
    This year i don't want that,its not the person i want to be anymore ...everyday your either making a positive step towards your goal or your moving further away from it.
    Im changing my lifestyle and i think my birthday is a positive way to start. Can anyone give me any ideas how to spend my birthday in a healthy way? Thanks

Ask for a cauliflower cake instead of the usual
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I ate a half pounder with cheese and 1/3 of an 8 serving chocolate cake.
  • _Krys10_
    _Krys10_ Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Eat the cake and anything else, it's ONE day
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Make your own cake using applesauce instead of oil, and have frozen yogurt instead of ice cream.

Seriously, that's all I did for my Bday in June. It's a lifestyle change, and I don't want my life to be one of deprivation; I still had my favorite meals, etc. Still counted it and didn't really go over, especially when I looked at my week's average.

PS--When drinking, I have success in doing shots instead of high calorie beers or mixed drinks.
  • trishful
    trishful Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Saturday is my 40th Birthday and I plan on going for a run in the morning, eating my usual egg whites that I eat every Saturday and a salad for lunch. We are going out to eat that evening and I plan on eating whatever I want no matter what the calories. Although I did ask my husband not to bake me my banana, peanut butter and bacon cupcakes that he makes me every year and I will have one dessert at the restaurant so that I am not further tempted by leftovers. I figure one day is not going to kill my progress and I'm going to enjoy it. Happy Birthday!!
  • DouMc
    DouMc Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    I am with the other responses! Its your birthday, enjoy it!! On the other hand if you really don't want to then maybe you can do similar things but healthier versions of them. For example if you normally get a big fry up for breakfast in bed then how about asking for a boiled egg and a fruit salad. then if you are going out for dinner pick a restaurant where you think you can get reasonably healthy food. When out drinking make sure you drink plenty of water to reduce your hangover the next day so you don't binge then. But I really wouldn't worry too much about it. I personally have to take days like birthdays and christmas off, otherwise I would just be miserable and feel like I am depriving myself which would eventually lead to me giving up altogether. Also, I find that when I occasionally have days where I go way over it seems to kick start my weight loss again!
    Happy Birthday!
  • FourIsCompany
    FourIsCompany Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Make healthy choices much of the day. Have a few "birthday treats" like an indulgent lunch with whatever you want and birthday cake after dinner. It's a special occasion. Have a great time and relax. Don't feel guilty. Refuse boxes of chocolate. Or throw them away. Or pass them out to friends. Eat a few, but don't go nutjob. Thin, healthy people eat birthday cake. Just don't use it as an excuse to binge or stop your general direction. The next day, log onto MFP and move forward from there.

Sunday is my husband's birthday. He wants my Buffalo wings... I'm not going to sit there and watch him eat Buffalo wings while I eat 1/2 a chicken breast and broccoli.

Happy Birthday! :flowerforyou:
  • stackhead
    stackhead Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Cake, food and tequila....or maybe tequila, cake and food. Either way i'm usually too sick to eat much the day after so it evens out :D
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    EAT ALL THE FOOD!

YES!
  • atb0821
    atb0821 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Today is my birthday and I'm on my 3rd donut. Heading to an italian restaurant at lunch for stuffed shells and fried calamari. Then some cake and ice cream later.

Bottom line: it's just one day. You may feel bloated after but you can flush all that out with good water intake and get right back on track. We should have something special to look forward to on our birthdays :smile:
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Birthday food has no calories.
  • Event_Horizon975
    Event_Horizon975 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    My take on it is -- This is not a diet. This is a life-long change. Celebrations are going to happen and when they do, I live it up. Then I get right back on track. Maybe look at it like this: Does ONE whole day of healthy eating while the rest are poor give you any real progress? Of course not. The same can be said of ONE day or night out of celebrating with food/drink. It won't derail your goals just so long as you immediately get back on program.

Good luck & HAPPY BIRTHDAY! :drinker:
  • Event_Horizon975
    Event_Horizon975 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Today is my birthday and I'm on my 3rd donut. Heading to an italian restaurant at lunch for stuffed shells and fried calamari. Then some cake and ice cream later.

Bottom line: it's just one day. You may feel bloated after but you can flush all that out with good water intake and get right back on track. We should have something special to look forward to on our birthdays :smile:
    ^^ Yep! If I don't break loose once in a while, I lose it completely! HAPPY BIRTHDAY GIRL!
  • roobe18
    roobe18 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Make healthy choices much of the day. Have a few "birthday treats" like an indulgent lunch with whatever you want and birthday cake after dinner. It's a special occasion. Have a great time and relax. Don't feel guilty. Refuse boxes of chocolate. Or throw them away. Or pass them out to friends. Eat a few, but don't go nutjob. Thin, healthy people eat birthday cake. Just don't use it as an excuse to binge or stop your general direction. The next day, log onto MFP and move forward from there.

Happy Birthday! :flowerforyou:

THIS!

In the past, for me, when I "fall of the wagon" I use it as an excuse to just keep eating. The "oh well, I've screwed up, what's the point" mentality. You just need to get it in your head that this is ONE day. You won't gain all your weight back from one day of overeating, and if you make it part of your diet plan, you'll do better. Tell yourself it's okay to stray on this one day, and then you won't feel guilty about it later. Then, the day after birthday, go right back to eating the way you know you should.
  • Doone33
    Doone33 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    well I like to make my favorite foods, sushi or Mexican, then have some dessert, preferably just Ice cream.. I don't really like cake! Then maybe some wine with my husband.... Often he takes me out for wine and Sushi for my Birthday!

But if your asking should you skip because your dieting... my answer is no way!
  • patfriendly
    patfriendly Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Do something adventurous and exciting. Celebration doesn't have to involve food.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    No food + My calorie goal in bourbon and beer