How do you celebrate your birthday whilst dieting?

Options

Replies

• Voodoochile65
    Voodoochile65 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Today is my birthday and the cake is sitting on the counter...its not that hard I don't have a sweet tooth...A pizza, cheeseburger or some nachos would be hard for me!!
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    I dont because i don't diet.
  • VixB1842
    VixB1842 Posts: 36
    Options
    Agreed with eat all the food haha! I'm going to be 25 in a couple of weeks. My boyfriend is taking me for a weekend away to the Lake District on a hiking/spa break. I'll be showing off my new fitness seeing pretty mountains and treating myself with massages and spa type things rather than food. That being said when we get back we are going out for a birthday meal with my parents and rest assured I will be eating whatever I want and most importantly drinking all the drink :D Its about a long term change, not just one day.
    I am lucky that I have found a new love in hiking so am really really excited about being treated to it...but I'm still looking forward to all the food afterwards :D
    You can't ruin a lifestyle with 24 hours worth of actions.
  • nino07110922
    nino07110922 Posts: 2,149
    Options
    One day won't kill your efforts, just like one great day won't make you an instant success. You don't want to be so rigid that you'll start to resent your change in eating. Instead of saying "no" to everything, exercise moderation: Two small bites of cake, one spoon of ice cream, maybe a deviled egg or two... and plenty, plenty of water. Keep moving about socializing, which will help you burn the cals. Oh... btw, hope you have a wonderful birthday!
  • drefaw
    drefaw Posts: 739
    Options
    I celebrate with a rack of BBQ baby back ribs, baked beans, cake and ice cream .........
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone tomorrow is my 28th birthday and usually my birthday revolves around food and drink, breakfast in bed, family lunch,dinner with friends and a night drinking at a bar or at karaoke!! Oh and of course the cake several servings naturally and then leftover cake for breakfast the next day when i have a hangover,not forgetting the 10 boxes of chocolate you received because everyone thinks buying a fat girl chocolate is the perfect gift !!
    This year i don't want that,its not the person i want to be anymore ...everyday your either making a positive step towards your goal or your moving further away from it.
    Im changing my lifestyle and i think my birthday is a positive way to start. Can anyone give me any ideas how to spend my birthday in a healthy way? Thanks
    happy birthday!

if you WANT the cake and the booze - then do it. one day won't make or break you.

but if you don't, then just don't. figure out what you want to do that doesn't revolve around booze and junk - maybe go someplace fun? maybe go to a day spa? museum? vintage store? whatever you would like to do - you can do it.

On my birthday a few months ago, i was going to buy two personal cakes (one portion each) - one for me and one for my son. like everyone is saying - it's one day, i't's your birthday blah blah. i stood in front of the fridge and in the end i walked away. did i really want that cake? no. did i need it ? no. and now, two months later do i care that i didn't have it? no. but i know that had i bought the cake, i would regret it. so figure out what you want and go for it.
  • Event_Horizon975
    Event_Horizon975 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone tomorrow is my 28th birthday and usually my birthday revolves around food and drink, breakfast in bed, family lunch,dinner with friends and a night drinking at a bar or at karaoke!! Oh and of course the cake several servings naturally and then leftover cake for breakfast the next day when i have a hangover,not forgetting the 10 boxes of chocolate you received because everyone thinks buying a fat girl chocolate is the perfect gift !!
    This year i don't want that,its not the person i want to be anymore ...everyday your either making a positive step towards your goal or your moving further away from it.
    Im changing my lifestyle and i think my birthday is a positive way to start. Can anyone give me any ideas how to spend my birthday in a healthy way? Thanks

Ask for a cauliflower cake instead of the usual
    ***gag***
  • shelbelw
    shelbelw Posts: 48 Member
    Options

Since you say you don't want to do that any more, I suggest you start this birthday by teaching your friends and family that you are changing. It's okay to eat everything, but your post indicates that "everything" is quite a lot of cake, chocolate, and alcohol. Enjoy your birthday by "tasting" everything. Have a piece of cake, but don't eat it all. Let someone buy you a drink, but don't finish it. Have a chocolate from the box, then give the box away (take it to work or something).

My diet has been crap for the last 15 years, and I'm slowly changing that. One of the ways I'm doing it is to have a bite of something I want, then going back to my healthier foods. You may find (as I have) that simply having a taste of anything you want fulfills your psychological need without your ending up bingeing on everything in sight and being sorry later.

Good luck, and even if you DO eat everything in sight, it's still just one day. :)
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    tumblr_lzn7rtarBz1qbpph6o1_400_zps507d5ff9.jpg

download_zps07307ed7.jpg
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I do whatever I like because it's my birthday. I didn't get fat from one birthday.
  • Michelle_dirtracer
    Options
    On my birthday I ate a slice of cake, 2 alcohol beverages and somewhat of a fattening dinner. I gained 3 lbs. Be careful. 1 day ruined me! I stuck to my calories several days before and after yet that one day did me in....
  • determinedbutlazy
    Options
    I celebrate with a rack of BBQ baby back ribs, baked beans, cake and ice cream .........

Heh heh heh "rack".
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I personally wouldn't worry too much since it is only one day, but since you say you don't want the usual, perhaps you could go hiking or something with your family during the day so that you can still have a great dinner and a few drinks without feeling guilty.
  • determinedbutlazy
    Options
    On my birthday I ate a slice of cake, 2 alcohol beverages and somewhat of a fattening dinner. I gained 3 lbs. Be careful. 1 day ruined me! I stuck to my calories several days before and after yet that one day did me in....

You did not gain 3lbs in fat, you retained some water due to sodium. You would have to eat 10,500 calories over your total energy allowance for the day in order to gain 3lbs of fat.
  • helenrosemay
    helenrosemay Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    The first week of my diet was my Birthday and of course we went out for a meal. I started off with healthy choices, chicken & veg, a couple of white wines, but then got home drunk more wine and had a takeaway. Looking back it didn't matter that one day of indulgence as I still lost weight and have continued to do so.
    I say just enjoy it. It's one day out of a year.
  • Event_Horizon975
    Event_Horizon975 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Huh!?!?!
    If you truly gained 3lbs of fat (not water weight/retention) then you had to have consumed 12,000 calories in that single day. This is also assuming you never left bed and remained completely inactive as to not burn anything beyond the 1500 your body burns just to function. :noway: This is a tall order.
  • atb0821
    atb0821 Posts: 458 Member
    Options

You did not gain 3lbs in fat, you retained some water due to sodium. You would have to eat 10,500 calories over your total energy allowance for the day in order to gain 3lbs of fat.

Yep. Sodium will make you think you've gained, but you'll lose it quick once you flush it out.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Put the chocolate in the freezer and eat it a piece or two at a time, making it fit your goals. Have only one piece of cake and enjoy it. Give the rest (or most of it) away. Or simply make/buy a smaller cake so there are less leftovers. Eat and drink to enjoyment but not excess, realizing that this is a special occasion and it's okay to splurge occasionally.

Get back on track the next day.
  • mom2sons02
    mom2sons02 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other posters, eat out, enjoy your birthday. Something you could do to keep those gift boxes of chocolate away, ask that they donate any money they would spend on your birthday gift to your favorite charity. I am considering "charity water" for my next birthday.
    The more water I drink daily, the more I realize how important it is. And I don't have to walk 12 miles every day to get my supply. Anyway, enough preaching-Happy Birthday!!
  • Michelle_dirtracer
    Options

Yep. Sodium will make you think you've gained, but you'll lose it quick once you flush it out.

It was still very depressing to see the scale change and it took over a week to go down.