• BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Grilled on the BBQ....yum!
  • KimINfortheWin
    KimINfortheWin Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Roasted curried vegetables
    Chop eggplant, red bell pepper, onion, zucchini, broccoli, cauliflower, sweet potatoes/yam .. whatever veggies you like. drizzle with a little olive oil and rub curry paste all over the veggies. bake at 400 degrees until tender and carmalized. delish

also

Eggplant Gratin - serves 2

Good olive oil
    3/4 pound eggplant, unpeeled, sliced 1/2-inch thick
    1/4 cup ricotta cheese
    1 extra-large egg
    1/4 cup half-and-half
    1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan
    Kosher salt
    Freshly ground black pepper
    1/2 cup good bottled marinara sauce

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

Heat about 1/8-inch of olive oil in a very large frying pan over medium heat. When the oil is almost smoking, add several slices of eggplant and cook, turning once, until they are evenly browned on both sides and cooked through, about 5 minutes. Be careful, it splatters! Transfer the cooked eggplant slices to paper towels to drain. Add more oil, heat, and add more eggplant until all the slices are cooked.

Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix together the ricotta, egg, half-and-half, 1/4 cup of the Parmesan, 1/8 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper.

In each of 2 individual gratin dishes, place a layer of eggplant slices, then sprinkle with Parmesan, salt and pepper and spoon 1/2 of the marinara sauce. Next, add a second layer of eggplant, more salt and pepper, half the ricotta mixture, and finally 1 tablespoon of grated Parmesan on top.

Place the gratins on a baking sheet and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until the custard sets and the top is browned. Serve warm.

That sounds amazing!
  • KimINfortheWin
    KimINfortheWin Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Baked Eggplant Fries
    (cut in strips, toss with Olive Oil and salt, Bake/Broil)

I hadn't heard of that before. Another must try. Maybe I should grow more eggplant next year instead of less?? lol

Thanks!
  • babynew
    babynew Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Great Ideas .Baba Gannooj Is a favorite here !
    :flowerforyou:
  • CorrieJane
    CorrieJane Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    ugh so I meant to post this days ago but work has kept me out of my house till at least 11 every night, and its been crazy. Heres my promised ratatouille Recipe:
    1/2 cup olive oil
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 white or yellow onion sliced thin
    3 medium zucchini sliced
    **1 large can Italian Style Tomatoes** (I have often replaced the canned tomatoes with 6-8 fresh ones, diced up and then I add a bit of water for liquid)
    1 medium eggplant, diced
    1 green pepper, sliced
    1 teaspoon oregano or basil
    salt and pepper to taste

1) Saute garlic and onion in a large skillet with the olive oil until clear/soft, not brown
    2) Add zucchini and green pepper, cook for 10 minutes on medium heat
    30 Add remaining ingredients and cook covered for 30 minutes, then uncovered for another 30 minutes, medium heat

I usually double the recipe and freeze some. it freezes very well
  • tumbledownhouse
    tumbledownhouse Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    this is one of my absolute faves at the moment - hot and sour aubergine - but i cut it up a lot smaller than the picture so that it coooks down real mushy how i like it - also add a lot of water during the process to avoid drying up and the aubergine sooks it up like it would oil and it's yummy.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2234636/hot-and-sour-aubergine-with-sticky-rice

the recipe says with rice, dunno if that's your bag, but sure you could have a substitution/eat it on it's own. Bonus - this is really low cal I think for a dinner with a good amount of rice - would be super low cal without.
  • bellaamor30
    bellaamor30 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Bump I also have an eggplant issue, they are growing like crazy

There r some yummy recipes posted can't wait to try
  • sknapstein
    sknapstein Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    My favorite is Eggplant Roll-ups.
    makes 6-7 roll-ups.

Ingredients
    ¾ C 1% cottage cheese (or ricotta)
    1 med eggplant
    ½ C egg beaters (or 2 eggs)
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper
    All-purpose flour, for dredging
    1 packages (about 12 ounces per package) frozen spinach, thawed and strained
    1 garlic cloves, finely chopped
    1/3 cup grated Romano or Parmesan
    1 ¼ cups spaghetti sauce
    ½ cup part skim mozzarella, grated

Directions

Wash the eggplants and cut the tips off. Put the flat end down onto the cutting board. Slice the eggplants lengthwise into 1/4-inch thick slices, 7 slices. Salt, let sit for 30 mins to extract moisture.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Coat cookie sheet with cooking spray.

Add salt and pepper to season eggs. Pat eggplant with paper towels to remove moisture. Coat each eggplant slice with flour, then dip into the eggs, drain any excess egg mixture, and lay flat on baking sheet. Bake until golden brown, about 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool to room temperature. Note: You can make the eggplant ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator.

Combine spinach, cottage cheese, remaining egg, garlic, and 1/2 of the grated Romano or Parmesan in a bowl. Mix well. Add salt and pepper, to taste.

Spoon 1/2 cup of spaghetti sauce onto the bottom of a small baking dish. Spoon 1 to 2 tablespoons of filling onto the wide end of each piece of eggplant. Then, roll up each piece and place into the baking dish.

Top with remaining spaghetti sauce, shredded mozzarella, and remaining grated Parmesan. Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes, until the sauce is bubbling and the filling is hot. Let them rest for 15 minutes before serving.

Calories Carbs Fat Protein Chol Sodium
    **Per Serving: 116 12 4 10 10 283

**these are for ingredients not in parentheses