ever make a disaster?

Options
abbychelle07
abbychelle07 Posts: 656 Member
Okay, so I really wanted to try a new healthy recipe. Picked an oatmeal/porridge recipe that sits in the slow-cooker all night. Oats, other grains, cinnamon, raisins, etc. I was so excited.

This morning, the whole house smelled like cinnamon. Yummm... Except, the smell was a little weird.

The whole inch around the outside was BURNT completely black! Apparently my slow cooker is too hot even on "low". And the inside tasted a little burnt plus you could really tell it didn't have sugar in it. Sigh. It was so gross, it was actually funny!

Am I the only one this happens to all the time? :tongue:

Replies

• abbychelle07
    Options
    Okay, so I really wanted to try a new healthy recipe. Picked an oatmeal/porridge recipe that sits in the slow-cooker all night. Oats, other grains, cinnamon, raisins, etc. I was so excited.

This morning, the whole house smelled like cinnamon. Yummm... Except, the smell was a little weird.

The whole inch around the outside was BURNT completely black! Apparently my slow cooker is too hot even on "low". And the inside tasted a little burnt plus you could really tell it didn't have sugar in it. Sigh. It was so gross, it was actually funny!

Am I the only one this happens to all the time? :tongue:
  • icupfunny2000
    icupfunny2000 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    yes your the only one :laugh: just kidding
    j~
  • abbychelle07
    Options
    My husband was skeptical of the whole thing. I guess I proved him right!
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    LOL, nope you aren't alone, when they tell you "DO NOT USE A BUNT CAKE PAN" when you're making angel food cake, they MEAN it! hehe.
  • elliott062907
    elliott062907 Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    oh yes, when they say use heavy cream and not milk, listen!!!!!
  • debuckl
    debuckl Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Please don't ever mistake Baking Soda for Baking Powder! Not only does it taste awful, but everything comes out a funky green color! LOL!
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    LOL, nope you aren't alone, when they tell you "DO NOT USE A BUNT CAKE PAN" when you're making angel food cake, they MEAN it! hehe.

Don't cook dinner when you are the chat. Burnt it big time
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options

Not you too! Oh God, addiction is terrible!
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I found that out for myself when I made angel food cake too Bankable....:grumble:

~Joanna:flowerforyou:
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Please don't ever mistake Baking Soda for Baking Powder! Not only does it taste awful, but everything comes out a funky green color! LOL!
    ooohhh.... that's why my chocolate chip pound cake was green!!!:grumble:

~Joanna:flowerforyou:
  • BlazinEmerald
    Options
    lol Just about every time I step into the kitchen .... ok so Im not that bad, but to my family's horror I do alot of " wonder what this tastes like together" meals
  • cinandchris
    cinandchris Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    You are certainly not alone. I have a new disaster at least once a week :sad:
  • abbychelle07
    Options
    I get some recipes from cookbooks, and after I make it I think, "Someone actually made this, ate it, and then thought it belonged in a book for OTHER people to make? Yuck!" :laugh:
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    lmbo omg I added two tbsp of cinnamon to oatmeal cookies once....they were ah spiced out!

I normally put in 1 tsp....I think I was in la la land or on the phone....note to self, must pay attention in the kitchen! lol
    Hugs!
  • chriss1tt
    chriss1tt Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    my poor family has no idea what un-burnt food tastes like:ohwell:
  • chriss1tt
    chriss1tt Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    never thought of it this way. i'm burning my calories for the day cookin??????:noway:
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options

Not you too! Oh God, addiction is terrible!

Yes it is. But, it is a great addiction:laugh:
  • hmmmm
    hmmmm Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Yeah I am a good one for cooking either bad tasting or awful looking food. Sometimes the bad tasting food looks wonderful and sometimes the awful looking food tastes great. This morning I made spaghetti squash frittata?? oh it looked awful but tasted great. Good thing fiance wasn't here b/c he never would have touched it. -Heather
  • 5KNohno
    5KNohno Posts: 503
    Options
    Never, I repeat, NEVER mix cherry jello and vanilla pudding mixes then add the milk and water. Got it from a low carb site, and made it for our Sunday family get-together because a bunch of us were dieting. It was disgusting. My sisters still tease me about this one. :sick:
  • GravyGurl
    GravyGurl Posts: 1,070
    Options
    Never put bacon in the broiler and then forget about it ... what can I say... I was a new bride and no one taught me to cook :laugh: