Day three of keto

Options
13»

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Let me add some additional things i see where people often have issues. First, it generally isn't good to make a ton of sweeping changes when you first start. What i mean, is not only do you go from super high carb to ultra low carb. And then on top of that, people often aggressively cut calories. What i would recommend is set your calories at maintenance until you adapt to keto and then slowly drop calories. In my experience, the second time i tackled keto was more successful because I wasn't as aggressive. Next, focus a bit more on protein and fiber and less on consuming copious amounts of fat. Third, circling back a bit, make sure you are consuming adequate calories. I can't tell you how many keto threads i go into and find people (especially women) consuming 1000 calories. And last, consuming caffeine often helps with hunger.
  • mydogisthebestdogever
    mydogisthebestdogever Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh, please friend me. I just finished my 3rd day of Keto and I have the exact same problem. I'm starving! Before Keto, I was never hungry like this. I totally feel you on this and I'm so glad I'm not alone. Hopefully this hunger will subside!
  • willowtreejane1
    willowtreejane1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have started on Keto, for the second time, and I am starting to feel a lot better. I know it is not a diet, but a lifestyle, I just need a little help and encouragement from time to time.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    what does it is not a diet but a lifestyle mean??

Catchy phrase but does it really mean anything??
  • umayster
    umayster Posts: 651 Member
    Options

It means changing the food composition of your diet permanently. Not a short term diet, a permanent change. Unlike the yoyo dieting plans that fail the weight loser when they go back to their previous food habits, when you decrease the carbs you decrease hunger permanently. This makes it far easier to keep the weight steady over the long term and attain the weight in the short term.

If you haven't actually gone through the carb minimization lifestyle change, you might not comprehend the substantial loss of hunger and its positive effects on achievement of weight goals.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    umayster wrote: »

It means changing the food composition of your diet permanently. Not a short term diet, a permanent change. Unlike the yoyo dieting plans that fail the weight loser when they go back to their previous food habits, when you decrease the carbs you decrease hunger permanently. This makes it far easier to keep the weight steady over the long term and attain the weight in the short term.

If you haven't actually gone through the carb minimization lifestyle change, you might not comprehend the substantial loss of hunger and its positive effects on achievement of weight goals.

For some people, this is a true statement, but it is not a universal truth... and I speak as a practitioner of the keto/low-carb lifestyle (as well as a some-times full on carnivore). Fats and protein are good for me to decrease appetite, but for a lot of people, fats and protein just stoke their hunger. Many, many people find carbs are good for appetite suppression.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »

For some people, this is a true statement, but it is not a universal truth... and I speak as a practitioner of the keto/low-carb lifestyle (as well as a some-times full on carnivore). Fats and protein are good for me to decrease appetite, but for a lot of people, fats and protein just stoke their hunger. Many, many people find carbs are good for appetite suppression.

I am also a person who runs keto (CKD specifically) and I am satiated through the diet. But I personally have helped people get off keto because they gained 20 lbs in a few months. No one diet has universal effects.

Also, we can pedantically argue lifestyles vs diet but neither hold a increase adherence rate.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

So lifestyle change just means a long term diet change

Yes I've done one of them too - I just permanantly ate less calories and thus lost weight and kept it off.

Wasn't a yo yo plan and did not fail - weight has stayed off for over 6 years now.

You're right though - I haven't gone through the carb minimisation life style change - but since I have no problem controlling my hunger to my appropriate calorie level and since I like lots of carby foods , I have no intention of doing so.

If keto works well for you,that's great.
    It isn't a universal thing that suits everyone though.