Social Eater—saying "No"?

Options
Does anyone have any nicer ways to say "No" when relatives offer food? I constantly have to remind my family when I visit that I want to visit socially, but I don't need to eat the entire time 😭 It makes it difficult, and I feel like a bad guy even when I know I'm not and usually (save for some people—big family) everyone else is OK with it...

BUT 1) those who have "a servant's heart" can get their feelings hurt and 2) those who think I'm taking a jab at them for not restraining from eating frequently.

I want to know if you have crafted good ways/guidelines to decline food?

Replies

• eccentricplaza
    eccentricplaza Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    Do not use expressions like eating healthier because that is a form of judgment. Just about all food is healthy in the right context and dosage. You can eat anything and lose weight and you can eat anything to gain it.

Oh I don't say "I'm eating healthy" just that I don't need to eat. Everyone knows I still eat sweets and goodies, just in moderation.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    Do not use expressions like eating healthier because that is a form of judgment. Just about all food is healthy in the right context and dosage. You can eat anything and lose weight and you can eat anything to gain it.

Oh I don't say "I'm eating healthy" just that I don't need to eat. Everyone knows I still eat sweets and goodies, just in moderation.

I didn't mean to suggest you were. I have replied to many of these types of threads so I give the advice to cover the gaps others have had.
  • quemalosuerte
    quemalosuerte Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I’m from a place where the cultural norm seems to be “you haven’t really offered unless you have offered 3 times”. It can be extremely frustrating on the recieving end and a hard habit to break on the offering end. A normal offer might sound like:
    1: would you like some ____?
    2: Oh, no thanks,
    1: Are you sure? (Maybe with a description like, it is really good or with how hot/cold it is today, it really hits the spot)
    2: I’m sure. Thank you though.
    1: it really isn’t a problem.
    2: thank you, but really, I’m good.
    1: All right. Let me know if you change your mind.

It can be exhausting. Try to stay consistent. If you give in after the 2nd or 3rd offer, that teaches them to keep asking multiple times. I’ve found that short, polite statements help me out. “No thank you”, “I’m not hungry,” “not right now” (which can be tricky if they are they type to offer again in a few minutes). You could even try to change the subject to distract the offerer (“You have to try my lemon bars, they are to die for!” “Omg! Remember when cousin Sam brought lemon bars to the family Easter that time?” “Yeah! And then...”).
  • eccentricplaza
    Options
    If they just want to offer you something, they might be satisfied if you offered an easy substitution...
    "Oh, no thank you, I'm still full from lunch...but I'd love a cup of tea/glass of water/diet soda, etc."

I will have to try this, especially since my mom and grandmother have teapots and cute china sets. Put it to use, ya know?

I usually try to follow the appropriate form of "no" (based on the situation, "no thanks," "I'm good," etc.) with a compliment ("It smells amazing, though," "It looks delicious!" etc.)

I have had the compliment downplayed with "Then you should try it!" 😭

• eccentricplaza
    Options
    helaurin wrote: »
    I've been in your shoes. Hopefully they will gracefully accept whatever reason you give.
    Here's a list of options - moving generally from polite to forceful.

"Thanks, but I'm good right now, but I'd love a glass of ice water".
    "Perhaps later? I'm not nibbly/hungry just yet."
    "That's so sweet of you, but I'd rather just enjoy your company and talk"
    "Oh, I'd love to indulge, but my doctor says that I need to limit <whatever>"

If you actually do want a small amount, but not a huge portion....
    "May I serve myself, so I take just what I will eat right now? I don't want to take more than I can (or should) eat, and it looks too good for any to go to waste".

I have done the small amount thing, as for the rest of your story... wow! Well, my dad's side of the family is overweight or obese for the most part, and I've had them criticize me, but not to the point of locking me up!

• Hollis100
    Hollis100 Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    I don't live near relatives. However, I have to deal with food pushers at work.

"No thanks, I appreciate it, but I have health problems and don't eat ____"

"No thanks, I've already eaten."

"No thanks, I lost 34 pounds last year and don't want to gain it back. I'm a sugar fiend and can't stop once I start."
    (This one worked on the worse food pusher)

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,221 Member
    Options
    If they just want to offer you something, they might be satisfied if you offered an easy substitution...
    "Oh, no thank you, I'm still full from lunch...but I'd love a cup of tea/glass of water/diet soda, etc."

I will have to try this, especially since my mom and grandmother have teapots and cute china sets. Put it to use, ya know?

I usually try to follow the appropriate form of "no" (based on the situation, "no thanks," "I'm good," etc.) with a compliment ("It smells amazing, though," "It looks delicious!" etc.)

I have had the compliment downplayed with "Then you should try it!" 😭

"I couldn't possibly do it justice now, thanks."

Possibly followed by that "if you'd like to cut a piece for me to take home . . . ." kind of thing.
  • Neil7905
    Neil7905 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    🤣😂 I'd tell them I was an alcoholic! No need or room for food! Leaving Las Vegas 😂🤣🍻🥂
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    I am honest and say I wish I could eat like that but I cant, takes me too long to get the weight off. Or just simply no thanks. I dont have a hard time with this thank goodness. I know I am the one who has to wear the weight.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    No one has to live in our body.

Some will make up imaginary health conditions aka telling lies but that will always come back to bite you in the hindend. Look them directly in the eye or sit down with them face-to-face and tell them the truth. No long explanation needed. Empathy is always a good strategy.

I appreciate all of your hard work. We all know you are the best cook in the world. I always enjoy eating your food and I want to keep it that way.

I say, I'm learning how to moderate myself with food and portions. It takes focus and practice. Thanks for helping me. <3 The end.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Neil7905 wrote: »
    🤣😂 I'd tell them I was an alcoholic! No need or room for food! Leaving Las Vegas 😂🤣🍻🥂

:noway: