Recommend me an exercise routine?

My previous routine that I have been doing for the last 6 months has taken me further from my goal body than when I had started working out. My goal is to have a slim frame without much muscle. However, I have just gotten bigger after exercising which is really not motivating. I have also counted calories and been on a strict 20:4 eating window for the last 3 months.

Particularly, how should I work out to lose fat without gaining much muscle, especially in the leg area? Squats (bodyweight), lunges, leg raises and the like have really made me blow up more than shrink down.

Replies

• KrissFlavored
    KrissFlavored Posts: 327 Member
    edited May 2020
    What exactly have you been doing that you have gained that much muscle on your body? If you're in a deficit, while some muscle is possible, I cant imagine you bulking up. But I could be wrong..

• sashabee25
    sashabee25 Posts: 24 Member
    I have been doing a lot of squats, lunges, hiit, leg raises, and other similar moves. I had started out with little muscle, but had gained a little bit fat on my legs so i decided to incorporate those moves to hopefully get rid of the fat (which I now realize was the wrong approach). instead my legs just gained muscle and they are now bigger than when there was just the fat on my legs.
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    edited May 2020
    You controll your weight up or down with your calorie intake vs activity level - calories in / calories used. Lifting weights will determine the amount of muscle you have. If you are gaining weight , eat less. 6 months of body weight exercise for a female, you probably didn't actually gain much muscle. Eat slightly below your maintainance level and do full body exercise / weight training
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Have you been eating in a deficit and losing weight? It is quite difficult to build muscle in the legs during weight loss to the point where they would be become bigger. Typically when you do those exercises you would help retain the muscle to have a more firm, tight, shapely appearance in the legs. It could also be water retention causing them to look bigger.

If you want a more soft appearance in the legs and really don't want to retain or build muscle, I would eat in a deficit and either stop any exercises for the legs or do your exercises without progression. Keep in mind you might not be happy with the appearance of your legs when you get to goal, and by then it will be a lot harder to fix.

Maybe if you post a current photo of your legs and what your goal is?
  • Shortgirlrunning
    Shortgirlrunning Posts: 1,020 Member
    I really love the Beachbody programs. I lost 5.6 lbs and several inches the first time I did 21 Day Fix.

A mix of cardio and strength is my preference for workout programs. I run 3 days a week and strength train 3 days a week.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live.
    Mark Twain