Starting Again- Morbidly Obese Class 3

Options
So, I'm starting again on MFP and hopefully if I keep up with logging, etc, I will lose the weight! I've also loaded a bunch of workout apps on my phone ... tough finding the right ones and am trying my best at Keto. Today is my second day on keto and I find it a little hard. The thing I miss the most is my toast. I love toast with butter. So far, 2 days on my diet of just eating omelets in the mornings, keto dinners and low calorie jello snacks. I'm still over my carbs each day.

My first goal will be to get out of the 'morbidly obese class 3' category. I'm so fat that I have to work my way down to being just 'obese'. Reality sucks sometimes. I never realize how fat I am until I look at a photo. So, I'm starting to keep photos and loaded an app to store weekly photos side by side to help encourage me.

So, my first goal is to get out of the 'morbidly obese class 3' category!! My final goal is to get down to the 'healthy/normal' weight category which is 4 weight classes down!! I have my work cut out for me! So, my final goal is to be in the healthy weight category and I'm thinking of weighing 140lbs or being a size 8 (not sure).

Wish me luck and if anyone has any suggestions or groups they think will help please let me know.

I'm in Maryland.

5'7
SW 293
CW 268
GW 140

Replies

• harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    You don't have to do keto to lose weight. Weight loss is caused by being in a calorie deficit. Eat the foods that you like, but keeping them in line with your calorie deficit. I'm also 5'7 starting weight was 225 CW 207 GW 135-140. I don't follow any diets because it's not something I want to follow for life. I'm mindful of my calories. Weight loss is slow and steady.
  • MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    Hi! This is a thread of lovely and amazing women, who are very supportive of each other. They start a new thread (not a group) every month. Although I am only a bit from goal, I follow their thread because I find it very motivational. You may wish to check it out. I believe it is under the Motivation category. Good luck!
    Women 200lb+, Let's Be Mighty this May!!!
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    So, I'm starting again on MFP and hopefully if I keep up with logging, etc, I will lose the weight! I've also loaded a bunch of workout apps on my phone ... tough finding the right ones and am trying my best at Keto. Today is my second day on keto and I find it a little hard. The thing I miss the most is my toast. I love toast with butter. So far, 2 days on my diet of just eating omelets in the mornings, keto dinners and low calorie jello snacks. I'm still over my carbs each day.

My first goal will be to get out of the 'morbidly obese class 3' category. I'm so fat that I have to work my way down to being just 'obese'. Reality sucks sometimes. I never realize how fat I am until I look at a photo. So, I'm starting to keep photos and loaded an app to store weekly photos side by side to help encourage me.

So, my first goal is to get out of the 'morbidly obese class 3' category!! My final goal is to get down to the 'healthy/normal' weight category which is 4 weight classes down!! I have my work cut out for me! So, my final goal is to be in the healthy weight category and I'm thinking of weighing 140lbs or being a size 8 (not sure).

Wish me luck and if anyone has any suggestions or groups they think will help please let me know.

I'm in Maryland.

5'7
    SW 293
    CW 268
    GW 140

I would encourage you to change your primary goal from losing that first label to refining or even rethinking your weight loss process for maximum ease and simplicity.

I am not saying that you should ditch Keto. Keto is a worthwhile experiment and you will learn something from it if you treat it like an experiment not a "must do this" situation. Be careful and aware of the "keto flu" though. If you are prepared for it I would give it at least an entire week if not two.

I believe the right mindset is not to have a single plan in front of you but to have at least 2 choices. It encourages you to see these types of diets as options not as requirements. There are probably thousands of weight loss plans that create a calorie deficit. Each of them have some success stories and all of them have an even larger number of less-than-success stories. Keto is not an exception. It enhances sustainability for some people. It diminishes sustainability for others. Most people who are on keto will fail for one reason or another and that is not entirely the fault of keto or any plan. People fail for reasons unrelated to the plan they choose.

Keto may be your best choice going forward. I don't know. You won't know right now. Don't judge it by what happens on the scale though. Judge it by how easy it is to lose the weight. I lost some weight on many diets. I failed to get it done because none of them were right for me or I made them harder than they needed to be. Changing my approach has led to over 200 pounds of lost weight and I have significantly improved my life.

I have an MFP group for Larger Losers. It is for people who initially started with 75 or more pounds to lose who wish to lose their weight in a sensible and sustainable fashion. While our goal is to provide support and understanding for each other, ultimately the goal is for you to become your own weight management coach. Here is the link if you are interested:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/133315-larger-losers
  • ChrissyChickie
    ChrissyChickie Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    harper16 wrote: »
    You don't have to do keto to lose weight. Weight loss is caused by being in a calorie deficit. Eat the foods that you like, but keeping them in line with your calorie deficit. I'm also 5'7 starting weight was 225 CW 207 GW 135-140. I don't follow any diets because it's not something I want to follow for life. I'm mindful of my calories. Weight loss is slow and steady.

How many calories are you hoping to lose per week?
  • cgcdavis7
    cgcdavis7 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I'm also fighting my way down from morbidly obese. My SW was 295 which is the heaviest I've ever been but I've finally gotten control of my depression and habits. I'm now at 274. I love counting calories and being able to eat what I want if it fits in my calorie budget for the day! I couldn't do Keto but I have heard about amazing results from it. If it works for you, that's the only thing that matters.

Looking for friends and to be one!
  • 64peppergirl
    64peppergirl Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I think Keto is the perfect choice for starting a weight loss program. It eliminates cravings thus making good food choices much easier. Once you are on track and feel confident then add items that are not necessarily on Keto but may be appropriate for you. I know that "long term" Keto is not entirely the healthiest way to go, after much research, although I use it as a basis to plan by.
  • Bubblevixen
    Bubblevixen Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Im also working my way down from morbidly obese and trying to get to a healthy weight. I started at 271lbs last October and currently down to 250lbs. I have a couple of health conditions (that also come with prescription only meds) that make losing weight a little trickier, but its not impossible. I figured I needed to change my thought processes after countless failed "Diet" attempts.

I find it much easier to focus my mindset on being healthy and working to increase my fitness and physical health with a realistic approach to eating. Im at the beginning of resistance and strength training so havent lost any weight over the past 2 weeks, but I HAVE lost inches doing something that I enjoy and that I can fit in at home after the youngest has gone to bed.

I love food, but often forget to eat all day and wind up eating something really late at night before heading to bed. I had a bit of time away from MFP and slipped back into those old habits, and decided to start logging food again because the exhaustion was real. I use the "Skinnytaste" website for recipes, because I havent found one recipe that didnt taste like the full fat version of things she makes. It really is incredible. She also has keto friendly recipes on there as well if you fancy a change of food :D

Also looking for new friends on here and to provide support when needed :D
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,509 Member
    Options
    I am also morbidly obese started at 269 ...sitting at 248 right now .... I am also keto (diary is open) ... I have recipes for keto bread that you make yourself if you are interested..Feel free to add me .....wishing you the very best :)
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    I started several years ago at 283. Dropped into the 260s but headed back to the 270s and stayed there. I'm now back to MFP and have lost 22 pounds in the last 6-ish weeks to 246. I can now say I have about 100 pounds to lose instead of 150! I'm here for the long haul because my blood sugar finally went out of control and need to get everything to normal. I'm "pushing 70" and have a hubby who had a stroke so I really need to get my act together so I am healthy!

Diary is open. Note, many things listed are "best guess" because we live in a community where supper is delivered so I don't know what they are doing in the kitchen except that they aim toward low sodium and low fat. I often swap out their sides for my own veg so tonight instead of ratatouille (I'm allergic to tomatoes) and rice pilaf, I'm having corn and cabbage with pesto and parm.
  • Lynatea
    Lynatea Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I was also class 3 when I started and am now class 1. Down from 235 to 197 in Onderland today, since January. Seeing the graphs fall below each Obese class is extra motivation for me, and awesome NSV`s. Welcome back. You got this!
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    I think Keto is the perfect choice for starting a weight loss program. It eliminates cravings thus making good food choices much easier. Once you are on track and feel confident then add items that are not necessarily on Keto but may be appropriate for you. I know that "long term" Keto is not entirely the healthiest way to go, after much research, although I use it as a basis to plan by.

I'd have to say I disagree. Keto might be a good choice for a variety of people but not for everyone. It is not guaranteed to eliminate cravings. For some people yes, it helps in that area and can be a good choice for them, but others it will just make them miserable and enhance those cravings.

I'm not saying that no one should give Keto a try; I am saying, however, there is no magic to it nor is it always beginner friendly; I personally prefer that if I'm going to count something, I'm just going to count calories and allow myself the maximum variety of foods that I can. I also am one that is satiated by carbs; high fats do not do anything to curb my appetite unless I consume them in large quantities, which would then push me out of a calorie deficit.

@ChrissyChickie : I'm with NovusDies - it doesn't hurt to try Keto, but don't force yourself to stick to it if it makes you miserable. You need to be in this for the long term, and the only way to keep going is to find a method that is healthy, sustainable, and as easy as possible for you.

I started in obesity class 3 myself and am down to the low end of class 2 almost into class 1. And there are plenty of others here with success stories, so you aren't alone and you can do this!