WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2020

Options

Replies

• Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    LisaInAR wrote: »
    Rebecca - I would definitely back Karen's statement on you being a force of nature. Apparently I also tend to come off as rather... intense, shall we say. I've just got one son-in-law, but the boy drives and repairs tanks in the Army, and is still scared of me. I think it's good for him. Not sure he's scared of anything else. :wink:

Scared of little ol' you?😁. I suppose I would rather have in law kids scared of me, than completely disrespectful, I suppose👍. Not that I am implying yours are disrespectful now!
    Cheers to intensity!💖
    💖Rebecca
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Rebecca ~ Your broth always looks good.

Katla ~ So glad you have a workable plan to get your test done. All the Cov 19 tests are free here.

Son and family visited today and we got huge hugs all around. So happy!

Question: Are any of you still wiping down your groceries before you put them away. We have been but it is getting tiresome.

Carol in GA

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Peachy: It is hard to imagine that the covid tests are not readily available. The test I will be taking has no charge that I know of. It is part of doctor's orders & I think health insurance will cover it. I can't blame the surgeon's office for being very careful. A patient catching a contagious disease while in the doctor's care would not be something they want to risk. I'm happy they're being cautious.

Katla
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    Rori This may be a ridiculous stupid impractical thing to say, but I wonder wonder wonder if there is a way you could hire someone who is untrained and train them yourself or pay for them to be trained. If money is available, it seems that a more malleable soul might be the way to go, custom-trained specificially for your husband. Just the way you want it done. Perhaps someone young and eager to succeed, maybe even a live-in if you have the room. DAWN training is available, I believe, by video - I think an entire course is a couple of hundred dollars, and the videos can be rewatched numerous times, perhaps at least once with you to discuss how they apply to your husband. Do you have a church or NAMI group or other resource where you could put out feelers? I feel kind of stupid even suggesting this because I have a feeling you have exhausted every resource already, so forgive me if it's not helpful. I love you. I want to come help.

Karen in Virginia

Karen:
    Thank you for the great suggestion and concern. I'm open to paying someone to be trained in DAWN method, but will still need to hire the individual from an agency that has a contract with the VA. Their generous subsidy is what makes consistent daily home care affordable for us. I have had assessment done for medicaid, and our assets are still too high to qualify for that benefit, so while I spend down, the VA is our best option.

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Rebecca An observation and maybe some insight into your daughter-in-law's reserved behavior. You know you have very close relationships with the men in your life, and you are definitely a Force of Nature. I can't help but think that your daughter-in-law might feel a little bit in awe of you. She might feel reticent and vulnerable simply because…well, because you are so amazing and she inherited large shoes to fill in the relationship with your son. It occurred to me during the discussion of how we tend to underestimate ourselves, that you might not realize that you are "larger than life". You are, you know. <3

Karen in Virginia

Well that is the sweetest thing ever to say.💖. I know when sons, the Chief, and I are all together deep ( and loud) conversation ensues! I try to put myself in her shoes, engage with her, and say things that spar a conversation along. I suppose my overbearingness comes from my Norwegian roots! Also during Gossett clan get togethers, you talk loud (and fast), to get your opinions in!
    Awe of me? Well girl that's just crazy talk!💖
    ((((hugs))))))
    💖Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Washington

>>>
    LisaInAR wrote: »
    Rebecca - I would definitely back Karen's statement on you being a force of nature. Apparently I also tend to come off as rather... intense, shall we say. I've just got one son-in-law, but the boy drives and repairs tanks in the Army, and is still scared of me. I think it's good for him. Not sure he's scared of anything else. :wink:

>>>

Rebecca I'm Norwegian too! and a bit of Swedish, too, as my great-grandfather apparently (sheepishly) admitted to a suitor of one of his daughters.

Lisa I hope he's scared enough not to plop any snakes in your lap.

>>>

Katla I know you and your husband will figure out how to best meet both of your needs. So far it has been chaotic and stressful for you, but it sounds as if you are getting things nailed down now. I had my last colonoscopy at a colon & rectal surgeon's office rather than in a hospital because I still had commercial insurance, and so had that option. They required my spouse to stay in the waiting room during the procedure. Everything has changed now with the pandemic.
  • KetoneKaren
    Options
    Rori Of course!…I did know that you were relying on the VA benefits while you spent down but I forgot for a minute. <3
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Karen,
    this procedure will be in the doctor’s suite that is within the hospital complex. DH had this done a few years ago in this complex. I won’t be surprised if it is in the same area. Stress is worse now because of the covid 19 pandemic.

Katla
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    1948Peachy wrote: »
    Rebecca ~ Your broth always looks good.

Katla ~ So glad you have a workable plan to get your test done. All the Cov 19 tests are free here.

Son and family visited today and we got huge hugs all around. So happy!

Question: Are any of you still wiping down your groceries before you put them away. We have been but it is getting tiresome.

Carol in GA

Thanks Carol, when it cools it has a layer of fat on top, floating! Do I skin that off, heck no!💖
    💖Rebecca
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 3,026 Member
    Options
    dlfk202000 regarding different eating styles, I am of the opinion that you can't change their eating habits, but you can do you.💖 I mean if your spouse is supportive great, but if he is still bringing home the no no foods, that's pretty much his answer right there. So what do you do? Well for me, I made an area separate from the pantry area for my go to foods. In there I have spices I use, (so when I am playing "chef" for husband I don't have to paw thru spices I won't use to get to the ones I do use!), Healthy pastas, white tuna, ramen, cans of things I like, and my snacks. I don't have to look thru their goods to fix my lunches. Most of my meals come from the fridge anyways, and I have my area in that too. It just makes life easier for me. My husband eats more processed foods, less veggies, but less fat. He snacks between every meal and hey that's ok. It works for him, but that's like opening the flood gates for me! The Navy ruined his taste buds, I tell him! There is a middle ground, and you guys will find yours.👍
    💖Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Washington

Thank you for your response!! I like the idea of having my own space. I did have a small area for my stuff but not super organized and over the months, other stuff got put with mine. I had my basket of 100cal. snacks(portion control is a major thing for me. It is actually fun to see exactly how much of a snack is 100 calories- then decide is it worth it. If it is just so so tasting, not going to waste my calories on it. If it is amazing, I will eat it slowly and enjoy every bite of it- always tracking all of it. I stay at 1000 cal a day, even though it says my goal is 1200 because that is my buffer incase I am not calculating exactly right. I have found some really tasty snacks in the toddler aisle- also now eating a lot more nori- salty snack that is 20 cal a pack of 10 sheets of the nori- I get all the different flavors. I eat healthy but just too much of the healthy stuff along with the not so healthy snacks). I need to also do better with meal prep. Like your husband , mine loves to snack all the time and then when I have a healthy dinner ready he isn't hungry(but then I see him grabbing the unhealthy snack later because then he is hungry ;) I cook healthy most of the time and add the extras he wants- he would be thrilled with rice every meal(half Japanese) but as a diabetic, he really shouldn't have it every night and not the serving size he has. He has found though that it is stress more than food that spikes his sugar. It will spike higher after just a few hours with his mom than it does if he eats half a pizza.
  • dlfk202000
    Options
    Frittata was great. I think the secret was the artichokes and the tarragon. I buy the artichokes from a small shop round the corner, but they have been closed throughout the pandemic. There are two elderly parents. I hope they open again because they stock loads of things I can't get elsewhere.
    They are Coptic Christians from South Sudan. I can't imagine what they have been through.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

I just bought a tarragon plant today to add to my herb garden. I have heard of it but never tried/smelled it. Had mask on today so still didn't smell it- It was needing a home- was on the markdown rack so had to bring it home. It will get planted tonight. I will need to look up some recipes.
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    Lisa I hope he's scared enough not to plop any snakes in your lap.

I wondered if anyone would remember that - and yep, on our short visit to meet Levi, my son-in-law showed me the snake from five feet away. :smiley: Which is how I know he's scared of me - otherwise it would have been in my lap, and then EVERYthing would have hit the fan. :wink:

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    Options
    :) I got up early to walk the dogs early and it started raining before I was really ready to come home but neither Sasha nor I was dressed for rain. I did find time for some housework. Now I'm listening in on a Zoom meeting that doesn't require me to say anything. I have my video off so no one knows what I'm doing while I listen. I even walked the dogs with my phone in my pocket while listening to the meeting.

:) Now the sun is shining but it's too warm to work in the yard so I'll postpone yard work til tomorrow.

:) Jake loves his NInja Foodie. So far he has made hard boiled eggs, pork chops, and french fries. He has a lot more ideas. Today he decided that he didn't like the shelf I'd cleared for its storage so he proposed another kitchen rearrangement. Now I'll have to learn where everything is .

:) I am such an introvert that it doesn't bother me that most days the only person I talk to is Jake. Sometimes I exchange a few words with another dog walker but since no one is allowed to pet our dogs and I'm not petting anyone else's dogs, I don't linger long to talk to anyone.

:)Katla, I thought at some point you said that your husband wouldn't be allowed to wait in the hospital but would have to wait in the car. That's why having a hotel room for all day seemed like a good idea.

<3 Barbie from NW WA
  • KetoneKaren
    Options
    Barbie I had never heard of a Ninja Foodi but now I've taken a look and I was wondering which one Jake chose. It looks as if there might be 3 different sizes of the pressure cooker Ninja Foodi - 5 qt, 6.5 qt, and 8 qt. The 8 qt one looks ginormous. :)
  • ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Good evening all:

253 posts later and I am caught up. You all have much more interesting lives than I do! Have been busy this week with work. Getting final move plans for staff mapped out. Trying to juggle between what each group wants vs. needs vs. them driving the maintenance staff over the edge. I will be telling them when what is moved. Don't know if I mentioned that while we are out of building I am consolidating staff locations by divisions in a way that makes more sense than the rather sprawled out approach that had evolved over time.

Made it to gym twice this past week. It's nice because when I go in the afternoon no one else is there. I keep mask on for everything except treadmill.

Worked on getting stuff from work into a more organized fashion--had stacks in three different areas. Now it is all in one room, I can reclaim the other space. It is nice being able to sit in living room and not having work computer to the left of me in dining area. Easier to separate from work with a separate room I have to walk into. Here's the basic set up (some one asked me about it a couple of hundred posts ago!)
    3uy72q8f9jm7.jpg

Office not fancy, and the two monitors take up tons of space. But will be very usable if I ever move the stuff back to work.

Just discovered during last apple upgrade photos have switched to a heic extension for photos on phone and doesn't come through quite right in my MAC album I go to to upload photos. Will no doubt spend rest of night trying to figure that out.

Ohio Covid Update
    My part of Ohio is now a hot spot. A local business has massive outbreak. They tested just over 800 employees and over 230 are positive. Most of them displayed very mild symptoms at time of testing. Noticed at store today that many more people suddenly wearing masks. Also just found out one staff member is showing symptoms. He visited mother over the weekend, came to work Monday, found out they were sending his mother for testing late Monday. He stayed home next three days, Thursday had symptoms and got tested. Just found out his mom is positive. Still waiting his test results. His wife also works with us Luckily she is primarily working from home. He was around two other staff Monday and worked out with one of them Monday or Tuesday evening. If he is positive, luckily very few staff will be infected from this. I guess he has very bad flu like symptoms. My whole purpose of keeping everyone working from home that we can is so I don't get whole groups wiped out. Being a public service agency, many people need our assistance and you can't just call a temp agency and get replacements.So yeah, I think I keep people working from home for as long as this problem is around (or at least decides to leave our area for awhile. My community is not good at social distancing or masking, but perhaps now that numbers are increasing dramatically there will be improvement. There are three zip codes in our county that the governor is urging everyone who lives in them to get tested (yes, I live in one of them). The thing with this staff member just shows me how easy it can be it to spread.

Just had to get that rant out--no political talk with it--just my current situation!

For the record--Zombu has not brought home any more presents this week, and I am not offended!

You all now have me curious about instapots. I got one for stepson and his wife and they love it (with three kids and them both working I guess it is very handy). Not sure how much I would use it but have also been looking at air fryers-those are intriguing to me. Bought step son and his wife a roomba and they seem to like it. I'm surprised one of the twins hasn't tried to ride it. Don't think I would mess with one for myself.

Well, going to go research this image deal and try to figure out why it and my mac don't seem to like each other. I have reset phone to use jpg but I just have to figure this out. Perhaps it is MFP that doesn't recognize it to insert.

Take care all and stay safe,

Ginny in Ohio

• TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,368 Member
    Options
    Carol in GA: I will continue to wipe down food. It is not as tiresome as having COVID would be.

So many people are getting complacent! This is not a drill!!! This is the real deal!! Look at what is happening in Wutan. And other places that relax safety measures.
  • dlfk202000
    Options
    ginnytez wrote: »
    Good evening all:

253 posts later and I am caught up. You all have much more interesting lives than I do! Have been busy this week with work. Getting final move plans for staff mapped out. Trying to juggle between what each group wants vs. needs vs. them driving the maintenance staff over the edge. I will be telling them when what is moved. Don't know if I mentioned that while we are out of building I am consolidating staff locations by divisions in a way that makes more sense than the rather sprawled out approach that had evolved over time.

Made it to gym twice this past week. It's nice because when I go in the afternoon no one else is there. I keep mask on for everything except treadmill.

Worked on getting stuff from work into a more organized fashion--had stacks in three different areas. Now it is all in one room, I can reclaim the other space. It is nice being able to sit in living room and not having work computer to the left of me in dining area. Easier to separate from work with a separate room I have to walk into. Here's the basic set up (some one asked me about it a couple of hundred posts ago!)
    3uy72q8f9jm7.jpg

Office not fancy, and the two monitors take up tons of space. But will be very usable if I ever move the stuff back to work.

Just discovered during last apple upgrade photos have switched to a heic extension for photos on phone and doesn't come through quite right in my MAC album I go to to upload photos. Will no doubt spend rest of night trying to figure that out.

Ohio Covid Update
    My part of Ohio is now a hot spot. A local business has massive outbreak. They tested just over 800 employees and over 230 are positive. Most of them displayed very mild symptoms at time of testing. Noticed at store today that many more people suddenly wearing masks. Also just found out one staff member is showing symptoms. He visited mother over the weekend, came to work Monday, found out they were sending his mother for testing late Monday. He stayed home next three days, Thursday had symptoms and got tested. Just found out his mom is positive. Still waiting his test results. His wife also works with us Luckily she is primarily working from home. He was around two other staff Monday and worked out with one of them Monday or Tuesday evening. If he is positive, luckily very few staff will be infected from this. I guess he has very bad flu like symptoms. My whole purpose of keeping everyone working from home that we can is so I don't get whole groups wiped out. Being a public service agency, many people need our assistance and you can't just call a temp agency and get replacements.So yeah, I think I keep people working from home for as long as this problem is around (or at least decides to leave our area for awhile. My community is not good at social distancing or masking, but perhaps now that numbers are increasing dramatically there will be improvement. There are three zip codes in our county that the governor is urging everyone who lives in them to get tested (yes, I live in one of them). The thing with this staff member just shows me how easy it can be it to spread.

Just had to get that rant out--no political talk with it--just my current situation!

For the record--Zombu has not brought home any more presents this week, and I am not offended!

You all now have me curious about instapots. I got one for stepson and his wife and they love it (with three kids and them both working I guess it is very handy). Not sure how much I would use it but have also been looking at air fryers-those are intriguing to me. Bought step son and his wife a roomba and they seem to like it. I'm surprised one of the twins hasn't tried to ride it. Don't think I would mess with one for myself.

Well, going to go research this image deal and try to figure out why it and my mac don't seem to like each other. I have reset phone to use jpg but I just have to figure this out. Perhaps it is MFP that doesn't recognize it to insert.

Take care all and stay safe,

Ginny in Ohio

Ginny, I have both an air fryer and a pressure cooker(not a name brand Instapot but does the same thing). I use both all the time now. It did take me over a year to even take the pressure cooker out of the box in the garage and bring it in to the kitchen but once I started using it, use it all the time. The air fryer was a gift from husband(as was the pressure cooker-both for Christmas one year). We all used that air fryer so much that we wore it out. He does not cook at all, barely will warm up left overs and only if I am not around to do it. We use the air fryer at least once a day. He likes things like fries and corn dogs and egg rolls. I like to reheat Church's fried chicken- renders out the extra fat between the skin and meat and makes it even crunchier than fresh made. I make fried okra using okra from the garden- only oil is just a little spritz on the bread crumbs/panko and that is it. Son uses it to reheat pizza(browns/crisps up the crust perfectly)
    Neither appliance is a expensive name brand one. I tell people to get one of the cheaper ones that has the features you want. If you really love it, then think about upgrading. My husband likes it so much that the year after we started using ours, everyone got them for Christmas- we even sent one to my former husband and his new wife. Everyone loves them.
    If you have any questions about either, just ask.
    Favorite thing for me to cook in the pressure cooker is ribs or corned beef. I HATE tough meat- I can make very tender meat in this. Beef ribs, pork ribs, baby back- all come out super tender.
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Watching tv with hubby. Daughter texting every few hours so I don’t worry that she’s dying in me. She’s watching for signs nothing yet but her crew has 1 hospitalized the first to show signs next should be his room mates all 3 also Daughter crew members. We’re watching y waiting.

Amber Tx

Nerves we ordered pizza 🍕 but I had 1 slice rest is JRs. Cinnamon buns had my helping.

Rest with be my chicken broth stock in soup to stuffing as my meat source.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    Options
    :)Karen Jake's Ninja Foodie is 6.5 quart with the air fryer top. He wants to make some recipes in large enough quantities to be able to freeze some for the future. He is still reading recipes
    <3 Barbie
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    Ginny ... what county/part of Ohio are you in? My parents live in Independence.

Rori ... thinking about you ... caregiving is not easy.

Dlfk ... I have been living an intermittent fasting lifestyle now for about 20 months. I fast 19 hours and only eat in 5 consecutive hours. My husband didn't even notice for the first 6 months and I refused to tell him as I was certain he would poo-poo the whole thing. When he finally did notice, I had lost about 15 pounds and had seen my doctor who was thrilled with my progress. Took the wind out of his sails. I cook for my husband, and through the past 3 months I was cooking for my two adult sons who moved home. It wasn't that hard. I have decided that this is about me and my choices. What they want to eat are their choices. For me, the food choices are always easier than exercising. I am at heart a slug.

Terri ... after 3 months of no driving, I was surprised to find myself a little shaky the first couple of times out on the road. Now that I'm driving to work each day (even thought it's just a couple of miles), everything is right again.

SuziQ ... sorry to hear what's happening in different parts of the country.

Amber ... I'm praying your daughter will remain well and if she does become ill that it's a mild case ...

Carol ... I am still wiping down food. I started shopping again a couple of weeks ago (instead of delivery), but I'm pulling back from being in the stores. Only one store during off hours. I'm going back to curbside or delivery for everything else. Except for clothing returns ... this week I have to make returns from online shopping ... got to get them off my credit cards.

So the younger son has returned to his apartment in Nashville! Long drive ... about 11 hours for him. Takes my husband and I closer to 13, but we make a lot more stops. He said the apartment did not smell when he opened the door, he had left the AC on so there was no mold from heat/humidity (he couldn't remember when asked), and the trash enclosed under the sink ... while it smelled awful when he opened the door under the sink, evidently did not have chicken in it. No bugs. The trash has since been removed from the apartment. All is well and really ... I need to remember that worrying is a waste of time ... Can't tell you how much energy I spent worrying about all of that. I was teary when he left this morning ... got over that by cleaning the bathroom he used while home...

Beth near Buffalo