Logging fruit and veg

Options
katherineleggett
katherineleggett Posts: 129 Member
edited June 2020 in Food and Nutrition
Should you add your fruit and veg to your app?

Not including potato and banana

Replies

• katherineleggett
    Options
    Including things like cucumber and salad leaves? I always feel daft logging them and feel bad if I bulk up my meals with them and end up going over my allowance
    earlnabby wrote: »

Not including potato and banana

Yes. Both have calories (in the case of fruit can have a LOT of calories) so should always be weighed and logged.

• Steffy92115
    Steffy92115 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I’m sure we should, but I don’t. If I did, I’d never eat them.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Including things like cucumber and salad leaves? I always feel daft logging them and feel bad if I bulk up my meals with them and end up going over my allowance
    earlnabby wrote: »

If logging them puts you over your goal, doesn't this basically answer your question? That they do have calories and should be logged...
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    Most days I have a massive salad for lunch. Using the logic to not waste my time entering teensy items, I wouldn’t bother to enter the greens, the carrots, the radishes, or cherry tomatoes.

They generally tally up to about 125-145 calories, before I start adding meat, nuts, balsamic, halloumi, tofu, etc.

That’s a lotta calories to put on the back burner.

Same if I put 3 grams of honey crystals (15cal) or 5 grams of Grape Nuts (15 cal) on my snack or dessert.

I count it all. Otherwise it turns into a Katamari Damacy cluster and threatens to take over the diary.

-Flashbacks to Sumo stage-

But agreed, it can really add up, especially if you’re really bulking up on veggies. I’ve had about 100 calories in vegetables today and that’s been in wraps. With salads, it would be even more. I’m pretty relaxed about accuracy, and I mainly weigh to ensure I’m not shortchanging myself on good foods for adding bulk.

• VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    Log everything with calories. Veggies have calories. Often a lot of calories. Same with fruit.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Yes, I like seeing the nutrients. Also, if you eat a good amount the cals add up (and if you don't you would be better off having a record so you see you should eat more).

I don't consider potatoes a veg, but a starch.
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,710 Member
    Options
    Yes, Log everything. I log my Omega supplements, leqfy greens and celery. It adda up quick.

I did an "experiment" for severl days (I call it expirament but now its habit) I kept track of EVERYTHING- including the one single grape at the store to see ripeness, a sinle cashew, A bite of celery, etc. At the end it was anywhere from 50 to 200 extra calories.

If you do the most accurate logging you will understand what your body needs more accurately
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I don't really understand the thought process behind deciding not to log entire groups of foods. Regardless of what you decide to do, your body will recognize and process the calories in fruits and vegetables.

I don't get this either. Yes, some things like leafy greens have few calories so taking a shortcut and eyeballing 2 cups instead of weighing whatever that 2 cups weighs is not going to throw off the entire day but not acknowledging calories that you eat has a habit of backfiring.
  • katherineleggett
    Options
    It’s mainly from seeing other types of diets where veg and fruits is ‘free’ and you can eat as much of it as you like
    I don't really understand the thought process behind deciding not to log entire groups of foods. Regardless of what you decide to do, your body will recognize and process the calories in fruits and vegetables.

• placeboBL
    placeboBL Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I count them, but don’t measure or weigh them. I’ll log “apple” or “cabbage” based on estimates. But I will weigh peanut butter to the gram (and most things). I’m not ignoring the calories they contain, but I’m much more relaxed about produce.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,986 Member
    Options
    Worth noting that it isn't a polarised choice between a) not logging fruit and veg at all and b) logging every gram of lettuce.

I ,and I think many others, do log a banana, and other fruits and veg in at least approximate manner eg 1 medium banana, 1/2 cup carrot sticks ( many people go further and weigh each time) but don't bother about one lettuce leaf or slice of tomato in a sandwich

• Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Agreeing with @placeboBL and @paperpudding. I loosely log fruits and vegetables. If I have a salad I'll make a SWAG at it. I'll likely not log some of the low calorie veggies, but maybe log more of some of the others to compensate. For example, I wouldn't log the onions but might log a whole tomato instead.