Need Help

Options
mrho1130
mrho1130 Posts: 11 Member
Ok so should I put my activity level as not very active and when i do excercise to track it and input it into myfitnesspal?

Replies

• Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    In theory yes, IF your daily activity level excluding exercise really is not very active. Any idea how many steps you get? What does an average day entail for work/household things?

You should then also eat back at least some of the extra calories you are given for the exercise.
  • mrho1130
    Options
    In theory yes, IF your daily activity level excluding exercise really is not very active. Any idea how many steps you get? What does an average day entail for work/household things?

You should then also eat back at least some of the extra calories you are given for the exercise.

Ahh ok so the activity level is pretty much just describing how active you are during work?
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    mrho1130 wrote: »

Ahh ok so the activity level is pretty much just describing how active you are during work?

During work, household chores, taking care of children/pets, gardening... Anything that isn't intentional exercise :smile:
  • mrho1130
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »
    mrho1130 wrote: »

During work, household chores, taking care of children/pets, gardening... Anything that isn't intentional exercise :smile:

Ok so I'm pretty sedentary. I'm a male, 6'1 195lbs, 23 years old. It says I need to eat 1860 calories to be in a deficit to lose weight. Do you agree?
  • Lietchi
    edited June 2020
    Options
    I believe in following the calorie goal MFP gives you, at least for the first 4 weeks until you have enough data to see if you are losing at the expected rate.

But I would like to add that MFP doesn't tell you 'you need to eat this amount of calories to lose weight'. MFP tells you the amount of calories to eat to lose weight at the rate you selected.

So your calorie goal can be a good or bad idea depending on the weight loss rate you selected and how much weight you have to lose. The less weight you have to lose, the slower the weight loss rate you should select.
    Without knowing your goal weight and selected weight loss rate, it's hard to say if your calorie goal is appropriate.
  • mrho1130
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »
    I believe in following the calorie goal MFP gives you, at least for the first 4 weeks until you have enough data to see if you are losing at the expected rate.

But I would like to add that MFP doesn't tell you 'you need to eat this amount of calories to lose weight'. MFP tells you the amount of calories to eat to lose weight at the rate you selected.

So your calorie goal can be a good or bad idea depending on the weight loss rate you selected and how much weight you have to lose. The less weight you have to lose, the slower the weight loss rate you should select.
    Without knowing your goal weight and selected weight loss rate, it's hard to say if your calorie goal is appropriate.

My goal weight is 170 and hope to lose about 1lb a week.
  • Lietchi
    Options
    Then it seems fine to me. Just try your calorie goal (plus a sensible estimation of your exercise calories) for a month and see if you lose weight at the expected rate.

As you get closer to your goal, I would suggest switching to 0.5lbs a week. This is a general guideline:

733hlslwf6la.jpg

This is a good collection of useful info for people getting started:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300331/most-helpful-posts-getting-started-must-reads#latest