Carbs in green cabbage? Keto question

Options
Carb manager is saying 3 cups cabbage is 16 grams net carbs. If this is true then it took me.out of ketosis. I thought it was 2 grams.per cup so I am shocked and just hoping you'll tell me it's wrong lol.

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Carb manager is saying 3 cups cabbage is 16 grams net carbs. If this is true then it took me.out of ketosis. I thought it was 2 grams.per cup so I am shocked and just hoping you'll tell me it's wrong lol.

It depends on the cabbage. Napa cabbage has around 2-3g per cup. And red cabbage is about 4-5g net carb.

Either way, i wouldn't stress it, even if it took you out of ketosis. Its not like you won't go back in after a little time, especially if you are exercising. Whats more important is appetite and calorie control. If that is happening, don't stress the semantics of being in ketosis.
  • mydogisthebestdogever
    mydogisthebestdogever Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Thank you both for your answers. I logged it under cooked, green cabbage. I'm not sure if green cabbage could be called by a different name. Is that what Napa cabbage is? Anyways, new day, new knowledge:)
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Thank you both for your answers. I logged it under cooked, green cabbage. I'm not sure if green cabbage could be called by a different name. Is that what Napa cabbage is? Anyways, new day, new knowledge:)

Yea, green cabbage is napa cabbage. Also, i recommended using USDA entries for all fruits and vegetables. Just type "USDA Napa Cabbage". This will improve accuracy.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Napa cabbage and regular green cabbage are not the same thing. (They may have similar nutrient profiles, though it does look like the carbs vary slightly.)

Regular green cabbage is a round(-ish) head, with tightly wrapped leaves, though it grows with some looser possibly darker green outer leaves that may or may not be there when sold at retail.

Napa cabbage is an oblong head, leaves tighter at the base, a little looser and more curly/wrinkly at the tips, usually whiter at the base, light brighter green at the tips. In the US, napa is one of the ones sometimes called "Chinese cabbage".

If possible, weigh the cabbage raw if you care about strict precision in nutrient values. Cooking changes the water content, so changes the weight, but doesn't have dramatic effects on other nutrients. Some cooking methods add water (boiling, usually steaming) so reduce carbs per gram/cup. Others (roasting, grilling) tend to evaporate water, so increase carbs per gram/cup. (Weight is more accurate than volume, too )

Either way, a small over-goal amount of carbs won't affect fat loss rate, may or may not put you out of ketosis (situational), and isn't worth stressing over post-consumption. Can't un-eat it, and stress is bad for you too, right? ;)

I always thought they were the same thing. Good to know.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    Napa cabbage and regular green cabbage are not the same thing. (They may have similar nutrient profiles, though it does look like the carbs vary slightly.)

Regular green cabbage is a round(-ish) head, with tightly wrapped leaves, though it grows with some looser possibly darker green outer leaves that may or may not be there when sold at retail.

Napa cabbage is an oblong head, leaves tighter at the base, a little looser and more curly/wrinkly at the tips, usually whiter at the base, light brighter green at the tips. In the US, napa is one of the ones sometimes called "Chinese cabbage".

If possible, weigh the cabbage raw if you care about strict precision in nutrient values. Cooking changes the water content, so changes the weight, but doesn't have dramatic effects on other nutrients. Some cooking methods add water (boiling, usually steaming) so reduce carbs per gram/cup. Others (roasting, grilling) tend to evaporate water, so increase carbs per gram/cup. (Weight is more accurate than volume, too )

Either way, a small over-goal amount of carbs won't affect fat loss rate, may or may not put you out of ketosis (situational), and isn't worth stressing over post-consumption. Can't un-eat it, and stress is bad for you too, right? ;)

I find napa cabbage much nicer to use from a culinary point of view. A little more interesting flavor and texture and more digestible and can be eaten raw without gas from the indigestible saccarides and fiber. A great texture added to a salad.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,838 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »

I find napa cabbage much nicer to use from a culinary point of view. A little more interesting flavor and texture and more digestible and can be eaten raw without gas from the indigestible saccarides and fiber. A great texture added to a salad.

But it's looking like gut microbiome diversity benefits from the indigestible saccarides, and the host from the byproducts, so . . . moderation, I guess? Adaptation? ;)
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »

But it's looking like gut microbiome diversity benefits from the indigestible saccarides, and the host from the byproducts, so . . . moderation, I guess? Adaptation? ;)

Lol, you may be right. But try and sell that to my lovely bride who has to deal with the fallout of that in the middle of the night. :D