Frozen fish weight

Options
allycs85
allycs85 Posts: 40 Member
Hi I'm new to this after coming over from ww! I want to have salmon for dinner I have some fillets in the freezer. The app doesn't seem to specify if the weight is frozen or cooked? What do you guys do? Thanks

Replies

• freda666
    freda666 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I use the figures on the packaging.
  • allycs85
    Options
    freda78 wrote: »
    I use the figures on the packaging.

I don't have the outer packaging as I was on ww so didn't need the info annoyingly. The issue of whether to weigh frozen or cooked will still be the same
  • MichelleMcKeeRN
    MichelleMcKeeRN Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I type in “raw salmon.”
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    Or for complete accuracy defrost it before weighing and use a raw salmon entry. I’d expect a slightly lower weight than weighing it still frozen.
  • allycs85
    Options
    I type in “raw salmon.”

Thankyou, I can find the salmon no probs just didn't know at which state to weigh. Obviously it's frozen weight will be a lot different to it's cooked weight
  • MichelleMcKeeRN
    MichelleMcKeeRN Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    First you want to make sure you have found a mfp entry that has a little green check mark. Second you want it to accurately represent what you are measuring.
    For example, if you find a raw salmon entry, make sure you are weighing the salmon raw (frozen is fine). If you are weighing grilled salmon (cooked weight) make sure you find a grilled salmon entry. A 6 ounce salmon fillet may weigh 5 ounces after it is cooked. The 6 ounces of raw salmon will have the same calories as the 5 ounces of grilled salmon. Weighing raw meat is more accurate.