Do YOU personally eat back your workout calories?

Options
Just wondering if you personally eat back your workout calories?

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Yep... normally all of them! So far I have lost at the expected/projected weight.
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    I generally eat back half or so. For example, I had 375 calories of exercise during the day. Therefore, I ate about 150 calories above goal today.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Yes, of course.
  • helen_goldthorpe
    helen_goldthorpe Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Yes. My calories are accurately measured (with a power meter while I'm cycling) so there's no reason not to.

The slight caveat is that I'm still drifting my weight down to find a final goal weight, and at the moment my goal is set at maintenance but I still create a small deliberate deficit by not eating all my exercise calories back. That way of doing it just works better for me when I have some rest days with no exercise and some days where I ride for 5 hours and burn 2500 calories as it smooths my intake out a bit.

(Typically on the 2500 days I will still eat 1750-2000 of the exercise calories back, I need them for fuel!)
  • hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    Yes and no. If I'm hungrier the day I work out, I will eat them that day. More often though, I'll have a little bit more to eat that day, and spread the rest throughout the week, so I end up having a bigger deficit on days I work out and smaller deficit on days I don't.

Years ago, in my pre-MFP days, I used a different logging site and their system was designed so that it automatically split your workout calories throughout the week, so for a 700-calorie run you'd get 100 extra calories every day that week. I have conflicted feelings about that system, but at least it encouraged consistent everyday eating habits that didn't allow the "I have to run to earn this huge chocolate bar" thinking. A little bit of that system is clearly still hidden in the way I approach workout calories, and it works for me.
  • netitheyeti
    netitheyeti Posts: 539 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    I eat back about 3/4 of them, over time I've discovered mfp estimates are close to accurate for me (sedentary but work out 6 days a week), and if I don't I feel really sluggish and don't have my normal energy and strength when doing my workouts... + if I didn't eat at least some of it back I'd end up with a net of maybe 800-900kcal a day... keep in mind I'm short and normal weight, only trying to lose a few "vanity" pounds at this point, even a modest -0.5lb per week goal puts me at only around 1250kcal a day (net) to aim for
  • OceanicMelodies
    OceanicMelodies Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Nope, I don't eat them back because I like having a bigger deficit and usually the estimated calories you burn from exercise are incorrect so I don't want to take that risk.