Apple Cider Vinegar 🍎 ?????

Options

Replies

• Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    I'm glad we cleared that up! Until next time, that is...
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Harvard:
    https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/apple-cider-vinegar-diet-does-it-really-work-2018042513703
    After three months, those who consumed vinegar had modest weight loss (2 to 4 pounds) and lower triglyceride levels than those who drank no vinegar.

And the last paragraph of the paper, after finding that the studies that showed losses were small and needed more study, said,

"If you are trying to lose weight, adding apple cider vinegar to your diet probably won’t do the trick. Of course, you’d never suspect that was the case by the way it’s been trending on Google health searches. But the popularity of diets frequently has little to do with actual evidence. If you read about a new diet (or other remedy) that sounds too good to be true, a healthy dose of skepticism is usually in order."

• SallyLuvsFitness
    SallyLuvsFitness Posts: 13,724 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    I think I have come down to the fact ACV COMPARED TO CRAPPY - NON NUTRITIONAL FOODS 🍩🍕🍦 🍨🍮🍩🍟 🥐🧁🍕🍬🍩🍪 will work for me even if the research doesn’t completely 100% back it up. I like the taste of ACV in my tea and its a super healthy tea, so I am going to stick with it! :smiley:

I will watch my pearly whites! 🦷 🦷
    A good piece of advice after researching from dentists!!
    - Don’t immediately brush your teeth right after drinking ACV. WAIT A HALF HOUR! Gargle water. 💦

https://surfcityfamilydentist.com/apple-cider-vinegar-tooth-decay/

Have an awesome Saturday!! Terrific hearing everyone’s point of view!
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    NO, ACV HAS NO MAGICAL PROPERTIES. However, it's just a food like anything else and no one said it was crappy--or did I miss something?
  • SallyLuvsFitness
    Options
    NO, ACV HAS NO MAGICAL PROPERTIES. However, it's just a food like anything else and no one said it was crappy--or did I miss something?

No, you didn’t miss anything. :smiley: I was just commenting there are a lot worse things to put in your body than ACV. Have a great Saturday! 💃
  • SallyLuvsFitness
    Options

No, you didn’t miss anything. :smiley: I was just commenting there are a lot worse things to put in your body than ACV. Have a great Saturday! 💃

Oh, I don't know. I'm having a cappucino and gelato later. I prefer it to ACV any day, but that's just crazy ol' me in Italy. Have a great Saturday yourself!!

I LOVE ITALY! :smiley: Thanks same to you! :smiley:
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit is how weight is lost.
    What helps you achieve a calorie deficit, is what works for each of us. More power to you.
    Personally, I’d rather follow the @snowflake954 method. Vinegar makes me gag, but I love it on fish and chips and raspberry vinegar on my salad.
  • missysippy930
    Options
    What is the difference between eating vinegar, like in a salad dressing, to drinking it?

The overwhelming taste? For me anyway. I can’t stomach the taste in my water. Like the tangy taste on foods though. Maybe weird, but that’s the way it is for me.
  • missysippy930
    Options
    Even if there were incontrovertibly evidence proving that it aids weight loss, (which there isn’t), I still wouldn’t drink it. I don’t eat, or drink anything I don’t like.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

No one said it was bad to consume ACV, just that it doesn't independently cause weight loss. Just like a doughnut doesn't independently cause weight gain, unless it puts you over your calories.

If focusing on dividing all the foods into good weight loss foods and bad weight loss foods works for you to keep you in a calorie deficit, great. It worked for me in the short term, but over time caused me to have an incredibly unhealthy relationship with food. Looking at my calories, my activity level, and the overall balance of my diet (rather than trying to have a perfectly virtuous diet) was for me the single most important factor for me having a healthy body and mind for the long term.
  • SallyLuvsFitness
    edited June 2020
    Options

Well, yes there certainly are - lots of poisonous products out there that would be much worse to put in your body.

But nobody was saying ACV was harmful, were they?

So, seems rather moot point.

No, sorry. :smile: Let me rephrase I was speaking on my own behalf and I wasn’t trying to bring up an issue. I wanted to start this thread to gather others thoughts. Not go back and forth. 👍 I should have said, and only speaking regarding myself, not others. I am not looking for a get quick fast thing to lose weight. I have lost 20 pounds by eating right and working out 🏋️‍♀️. I feel great! All I was referencing is the fact that I could potentially eat things that are not aligned with my current goals like eating a donut 🍩, which would have wasted calories in my plan. The fact that ACV may not help to lose weight it has no calories thus consuming will not impact my diet goals. I do enjoy 😉 having ACV in my tea and its awesome to make in vinaigrette’s. Some people do not enjoy the taste and I don’t blame you at all for not using it - I wouldn’t want to either. :smiley:

My main goal is creating and living a healthy lifestyle and not running to fad diets. :smiley:

The thread started off as I was concerned about my tooth enamel and the impact of ACV. I am thankful I received answers to that question.

I hope that is all cleared up! :wink:

Here is our health and wellness! Wishing all a wonderful Saturday! :smiley:

m4y44kcxtwak.jpeg
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,022 Member
    Options
    No, sorry. :smile: Let me rephrase I was speaking on my own behalf and I wasn’t trying to bring up an issue. I wanted to start this thread to gather others thoughts. Not go back and forth. 👍 I should have said, and only speaking regarding myself, not others. I am not looking for a get quick fast thing to lose weight. I have lost 20 pounds by eating right and working out 🏋️‍♀️. I feel great! All I was referencing is the fact that I could potentially eat things that are not aligned with my current goals like eating a donut 🍩, which would have wasted calories in my plan. The fact that ACV may not help to lose weight it has no calories thus consuming will not impact my diet goals. I do enjoy 😉 having ACV in my tea and its awesome to make in vinaigrette’s. Some people do not enjoy the taste and I don’t blame you at all for not using it - I wouldn’t want to either. :smiley:

My main goal is creating and living a healthy lifestyle and not running to fad diets. :smiley:

The thread started off as I was concerned about my tooth enamel and the impact of ACV. I am thankful I received answers to that question.

yes you have lost 20lb by eating in a calorie deficit - and stayed healthy by eating nutritiously and working out. great!
    If your personal goals dont include donuts - great for you! (I'm glad its not me, I like donuts)

and true - consuming ACV will not impact your calorie allowance since it has no calories (or next to none, it must have a few)
    I personally do not use ACV at all - in drinks or salads or anything - but nothing wrong with it if you do.

I guess people who use ACV and know it has no physical weight loss properties but drink it because they like it or it has a pychological benifit for them, should word their posts clearly to show that - otherwise it sends thread in wrong direction.

anyway glad your question is answered - onward and upward we go! :)