Doing Everything Right (or so I think) But No Weight Loss?

Options
2»

Replies

• janetdebeer90
    janetdebeer90 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    If you look at the measuring guide below and go with the "point of minimal waist" for the waist measurement - 27 for you and 35 for hips, your ratio is 0.77 which is well below 0.85.

From your measurements, it appears to me that you have a lovely shape! (even thought you are frustrated by not having a flat stomach)

2.1.1 Placement of tape Waist circumference
    The WHO STEPwise Approach to Surveillance (STEPS) provides a simple standardized method for collecting, analysing and disseminating data in WHO Member countries. The WHO STEPS protocol for measuring waist circumference instructs that the measurement be made at the approximate midpoint between the lower margin of the last palpable rib and the top of the iliac crest (WHO, 2008b). The United States (US) National Institutes of Health (NIH) protocol provided in the NIH Practical guide to obesity (NHLBI Obesity Education Initiative, 2000) and the protocol used in the US National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES) III (Westat Inc, 1998) indicate that the waist circumference measurement should be made at the top of the iliac crest.
    The NIH also provided a protocol for the measurement of waist circumference for the Multi‐Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis (MESA) study. This protocol indicates that the waist measurement should be made at the level of the umbilicus or navel. However, published reports indicate that measurements of waist circumference made at the level of the umbilicus may underestimate the true waist circumference (Croft et al., 1995).
    Some studies have assessed the waist circumference at the point of the minimal waist (Ross et al., 2008).
    Hip circumference
    All of the protocols mentioned in Section 2.1.1 indicate that the hip circumference measurement should be taken around the widest portion of the buttocks.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,503 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    If you look at the measuring guide below and go with the "point of minimal waist" for the waist measurement - 27 for you and 35 for hips, your ratio is 0.77 which is well below 0.85.

From your measurements, it appears to me that you have a lovely shape! (even thought you are frustrated by not having a flat stomach)

2.1.1 Placement of tape Waist circumference
    The WHO STEPwise Approach to Surveillance (STEPS) provides a simple standardized method for collecting, analysing and disseminating data in WHO Member countries. The WHO STEPS protocol for measuring waist circumference instructs that the measurement be made at the approximate midpoint between the lower margin of the last palpable rib and the top of the iliac crest (WHO, 2008b). The United States (US) National Institutes of Health (NIH) protocol provided in the NIH Practical guide to obesity (NHLBI Obesity Education Initiative, 2000) and the protocol used in the US National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES) III (Westat Inc, 1998) indicate that the waist circumference measurement should be made at the top of the iliac crest.
    The NIH also provided a protocol for the measurement of waist circumference for the Multi‐Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis (MESA) study. This protocol indicates that the waist measurement should be made at the level of the umbilicus or navel. However, published reports indicate that measurements of waist circumference made at the level of the umbilicus may underestimate the true waist circumference (Croft et al., 1995).
    Some studies have assessed the waist circumference at the point of the minimal waist (Ross et al., 2008).
    Hip circumference
    All of the protocols mentioned in Section 2.1.1 indicate that the hip circumference measurement should be taken around the widest portion of the buttocks.

This is exactly what I was thinking. You (OP) appear to have calculated the ratio incorrectly. Also, I am a few inches shorter than you and have the exact same waist and hip measurements and I am definitely not overweight. Your perception of your body may be a bit skewed.
  • sugaraddict4321
    sugaraddict4321 Posts: 15,801 MFP Moderator
    Options
    @stargirlhorse please take on the advice you've been given. You can't spot reduce fat anyway. I know you think you'll have a totally flat tummy just by dropping a few pounds but it doesn't work that way. Many young women think like you though, so you're not alone. BTW your friends probably don't have totally flat stomachs, they have uteruses too. ;)

To help you reframe your thoughts, take a look at this thread, with some great eye-opening pics:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10689837/does-this-uterus-make-my-stomach-look-fat/p1

I never had a perfectly flat stomach, even when I was underweight. I actually wore a girdle when I was your age, thinking I had to have a flat stomach. Then I realized that the people who I want to be with don't judge me based on my stomach so I shouldn't judge myself based on my stomach either. :)