It’s not just about calories

Options
12346»

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    shaumom wrote: »
    The concept that for all people, with all conditions, CICO is the end-all, be-all of how the human body loses and gains weight seems to fly in the face of one important fact: the human body is not that simplistic.

The fact that someone gets a results others don't expect does not warrant an automatic 'you must be doing it wrong.' If they forgot certain procedures that impact the outcome, sure, but this is just a case study, not a full blown study, and seems fairly well done for what it is. And the results are not actually THAT uncommon. And they don't even fly in the face of what is known about the human body.

As an example, one reason that people can't lose weight even when their calories are within the right target range, until they ALSO stop eating as much 'junk food,' might be if they have insulin resistance. And this condition seems to be VERY common. 1 in 3 people in the USA are assumed to have this: https://www.endocrineweb.com/conditions/type-2-diabetes/insulin-resistance-causes-symptoms#:~:text=One%20in%20three%20Americans%E2%80%94including,attacks%2C%20strokes2%20and%20cancer. )

Because if you have excess insulin levels (which happens with insulin resistance), from what I understand, this actually increases how much fat your body stores from what you eat. There is debate on the topic of what STARTS insulin resistance (whether gaining weight starts it, or it starts weight gain), but once insulin resistance HAS started, a person's body will have fat storage that is impacted by blood sugar levels AS WELL AS calories consumed.

And again: 1 in 3 people in the USA have this (higher than some countries, I'm sure).

Which may be why there are a LOT of people who try to lose weight with CICO and can't seem to do it until they change the food choices they make, as well.

This is a nice summary of 4 different bits of research into the origins and function of insulin resistance, for those interested.
    https://www.secondnature.io/guides/diabetes/insulin-resistance-weight-gain

It's not that CICO (the calorie balance equation - which is just basic physics) doesn't work. I agree that such people may struggle with calorie counting as a weight loss method, and find it ineffective.

Part of the problem is that many people don't understand that the calorie goal is an estimate, and can be very wrong, if they're not statistically typical. Someone with a problem like IR may well either absorb calories differently (unusual effective CI), realize different energy levels from calories (unusual CO), or have unusual water weight fluctuations (masking what is happening, if the scale is their guide).

That IR has unusual effects for body weight is not "CICO doesn't work", strictly speaking.

I absolutely agree that IR presents serious practical problems, for calorie counting. Depending on the individual, calorie counting may still work (with a different base calorie goal, and IR-aware eating strategies) or it may not. The choice of a method - whether it will work as a practical matter for a particular individual - is very individual, and varies with both physical and psychological factors.

To say that X method doesn't work, as a practical matter, for an individual, is not necessarily a statement about the method. For example, the Weight Watchers sub-options with the most "free foods" would not work well for me, as a vegetarian who eats ridiculous numbers of calories of things that would be "free foods". That's not an indictment of the method, which can work great for others.
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,710 Member
    Options
    Carbohydrate- 4 calories/ gram,
    Protein- 4 calories / gram
    Alcohol- 7 calories /gram
    Fat- 9 calories a gram