It’s not just about calories

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    sardelsa wrote: »
    psuLemon wrote: »
    There are several prominent coaches (Helms, Revelia, etc...) that talk about this when prepping people to get stage lean. And in their experiences, more whole foods and less ultra processed foods can lead to better results. Given the OP is likely the only one in this thread with a six pack, his needs are likely different than those who are not that lean.

IME, i could eat whatever to be average. To keep getting leaner, I have seen better results when i clean up my diet, even with the same calories.

Considering there are programs like UD2 and discussions i have listened to from people like Helms, Menno, etc..., i believe the conventional wisdom is fine for most people. I believe there are additional variables that can come into play for people trying to get pretty lean. It seems likely the OP is one of those people given his leanness as compared to most.

@psuLemon
    I don't know if anyone is arguing against more whole nutrient dense foods, less processed foods especially when it comes to fighting the hunger at ultra lean levels and body composition as well as maximizing workout performance. If you feel like crap due to your eating and you aren't getting proper nutrition, then your workouts are going to suffer. And yes that could indirectly lead to weight loss stalls due to less energy output and other possible issues. However, if you are able to fit those foods into your day, still eat relatively nutrient dense and find your workout performance actually benefits... then there is nothing wrong with that either. That has been my experience. OK I don't have a 6-pack (mainly due to my training/muscle development not leanness) and I am not a bodybuilder so I am able to be more flexible in my dieting but I do consider myself lean and have achieved lean levels of body composition (at least for my standards).

A few years ago I wanted to cut a little faster before a vacation, so for 2 weeks I cut out the alcohol, reduced the snacks significantly and upped the cardio a bit. What happened? I lost faster, my deficit increased due to cutting those things out because I was eating less. It wasn't because of the magical properties of those foods or processed foods in and of themselves causing weight stalls. The way the OP worded his post it sounded like that since he claimed to keep calories the same (including protein levels if I'm not mistaken). If he was talking about it working just for him (which it sounds like he has clarified), then that's a different story since I do a lot of things that work well for me without scientific backing or that can be controversial that I wouldn't preach to people since it could be a placebo effect or something else.

I do think OP should keep doing what he is doing if he feels like he is benefiting from it. And if someone reading this has issues with hunger or their progress and eats a lot of packaged, high salt, processed or restaurant food, might be a good idea to consider cutting down on those foods to see if that helps with hunger, adherence, workout performance, sleep, etc.

The discussions around minimally processed vs highly processed diets where based on quality, not so much the hunger aspect. I'll see if i can find the video to post here.

Its certainly possible that a poor diet in a very lean individual had a greater impact. There is current evidence showing vitamin deficiencies causing metabolic rate reductions. We know deficiencies can lead to mood changes and effect NEAT. So yes, while weight loss is driven by energy balance, there are things that impact weight loss through reductions in BMR, NEAT, TEF or TEA. I suspect this is what the OP experienced which effected his weight loss.

And hell, if we get into anecdotal evidence, I can you i have increased calories several times and saw increased fat loss. But lets not go down that rabbit hole because it blows peoples mind, even though there are tons of people seeing that with refeeding.

The overall problem I typically see on the forum, outside of the "personalities", is things are often oversimplified. Yes, energy balance matters, but getting people to the end goal, requires a different conversation.
  • activities1
    activities1 Posts: 3,475 Member
    How are you just giving that up so easily!!! The willpower is real!
  • psuLemon
    I don't think it's at all unusual that people who want to reach elite bf levels may have to adopt some techniques that aren't necessary for the average person who just wants to reach a healthy body weight (or even go beyond that into losing vanity pounds).

Outside of your very specific circumstance, do you agree that for someone who wants to reach a healthy body weight or even lose some vanity pounds, a calorie deficit is the most crucial factor?

Has that even been questioned at all in this thread? He even mentioned calories are key.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    edited June 2020
    Now this thread is getting interesting! Good points coming out. OP, if you'd come out with more information in the beginning, things might have gone differently. I also wonder if this thread had come out in the bodybuilding section or debate, it might have attracted more people that have knowledge on this question.
  • pandagalaxy
    pandagalaxy Posts: 19 Member
    I will agree with this 100% - calories are NOT the only factor.

I've lost weight before eating ANYTHING I wanted if it fit my calories ANYTIME...I got results but it was difficult in many ways, mostly mentally because I constantly would give in to cravings (which often would result in going over calories ever so slightly, or even if not going over I would still feel like I wanted more).

Now that I am doing this a different way...still counting calories, but making sure about 75% or more (weekly) of the food I eat is good for me (filling, meets macros, balanced ect) it is SO much easier. I'm not hungry all the time even though I am eating based on the same small amount. It is easier to eat less calories when they are balanced foods and not filled with sugar and garbage that makes your body want more because it hasn't gotten enough.

Yes, many people can lose with just CICO, but will it be easy or quick if you eat poorly? Probably not.
  • lukejoycePT
    lukejoycePT Posts: 182 Member
    I don't think it's at all unusual that people who want to reach elite bf levels may have to adopt some techniques that aren't necessary for the average person who just wants to reach a healthy body weight (or even go beyond that into losing vanity pounds).

Outside of your very specific circumstance, do you agree that for someone who wants to reach a healthy body weight or even lose some vanity pounds, a calorie deficit is the most crucial factor?

Has that even been questioned at all in this thread? He even mentioned calories are key.

I believe it was this statement in the OP he made:

"However, As soon as I cut out the junk and drink and ate at the same calories I started dropping again."

Then he went on to say it wasn't water retention and his activity was the same so it sounded as if it was just those foods that made a difference.

But then @lukejoycePT I am a bit confused since you do actually eat those foods regularly on the weekends just not on weekdays? And in your experiment you decided to add them to your weekly plan? It sounds to me that you were possibly eating less than you thought during the week (before the experiment) and since you changed your food intake (it could have been anything but it was treats in this case) it offset your deficit and you maintained. That's just my guess.

Sorry I should have been clearer. When I was having treats during the week i actually consumed a lot less of these foods and drink on the weekends. I was tracking on the weekends too actually, which I never do.
  • lukejoycePT
    lukejoycePT Posts: 182 Member

I 1000% agree with this. With my clients I would always start we reducing calories as little as possible. Pull them into a slight deficit as normally this will produce some decent results right off the bat. Then decrease calories depending on how they respond. Once a lower body fat is reached 12-16% I would then introduce a few extra tools to help kick the extra lbs such as keeping the “fun” foods to weekends and only drinking certain alcohol such as red wine and spirits
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    There are several prominent coaches (Helms, Revelia, etc...) that talk about this when prepping people to get stage lean. And in their experiences, more whole foods and less ultra processed foods can lead to better results. Given the OP is likely the only one in this thread with a six pack, his needs are likely different than those who are not that lean.

IME, i could eat whatever to be average. To keep getting leaner, I have seen better results when i clean up my diet, even with the same calories.

Considering there are programs like UD2 and discussions i have listened to from people like Helms, Menno, etc..., i believe the conventional wisdom is fine for most people. I believe there are additional variables that can come into play for people trying to get pretty lean. It seems likely the OP is one of those people given his leanness as compared to most.

@psuLemon
    I don't know if anyone is arguing against more whole nutrient dense foods, less processed foods especially when it comes to fighting the hunger at ultra lean levels and body composition as well as maximizing workout performance. If you feel like crap due to your eating and you aren't getting proper nutrition, then your workouts are going to suffer. And yes that could indirectly lead to weight loss stalls due to less energy output and other possible issues. However, if you are able to fit those foods into your day, still eat relatively nutrient dense and find your workout performance actually benefits... then there is nothing wrong with that either. That has been my experience. OK I don't have a 6-pack (mainly due to my training/muscle development not leanness) and I am not a bodybuilder so I am able to be more flexible in my dieting but I do consider myself lean and have achieved lean levels of body composition (at least for my standards).

A few years ago I wanted to cut a little faster before a vacation, so for 2 weeks I cut out the alcohol, reduced the snacks significantly and upped the cardio a bit. What happened? I lost faster, my deficit increased due to cutting those things out because I was eating less. It wasn't because of the magical properties of those foods or processed foods in and of themselves causing weight stalls. The way the OP worded his post it sounded like that since he claimed to keep calories the same (including protein levels if I'm not mistaken). If he was talking about it working just for him (which it sounds like he has clarified), then that's a different story since I do a lot of things that work well for me without scientific backing or that can be controversial that I wouldn't preach to people since it could be a placebo effect or something else.

I do think OP should keep doing what he is doing if he feels like he is benefiting from it. And if someone reading this has issues with hunger or their progress and eats a lot of packaged, high salt, processed or restaurant food, might be a good idea to consider cutting down on those foods to see if that helps with hunger, adherence, workout performance, sleep, etc.

The discussions around minimally processed vs highly processed diets where based on quality, not so much the hunger aspect. I'll see if i can find the video to post here.

Its certainly possible that a poor diet in a very lean individual had a greater impact. There is current evidence showing vitamin deficiencies causing metabolic rate reductions. We know deficiencies can lead to mood changes and effect NEAT. So yes, while weight loss is driven by energy balance, there are things that impact weight loss through reductions in BMR, NEAT, TEF or TEA. I suspect this is what the OP experienced which effected his weight loss.

And hell, if we get into anecdotal evidence, I can you i have increased calories several times and saw increased fat loss. But lets not go down that rabbit hole because it blows peoples mind, even though there are tons of people seeing that with refeeding.

The overall problem I typically see on the forum, outside of the "personalities", is things are often oversimplified. Yes, energy balance matters, but getting people to the end goal, requires a different conversation.

Could you please post this research for me please!?!?!?!?
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    edited June 2020
    I think it was me that called BS. Because I believe in science, not wives tales, anecdotes, superstition etc., I believe that CICO is the only factor for weight loss. Everything else is an excuse or a mistake. Adjustments to metabolism do occur . . . in minuscule amounts compared with the enormous calorie intake required to maintain an overweight body which are offset by the reduced energy consumed in locomotion and temperature maintenance.

Just log the calories better, and stop making excuses for not losing weight.
  • psuLemon
    psychod787 wrote: »

@psuLemon

Could you please post this research for me please!?!?!?!?

I seemingly can't find the reference podcast; i believe it was from Mike Matthews who is pretty good with referencing his data, so i will probably retract that statement until i can dig into research.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Google the twinkie diet (not that I would ever recommend just eating something as disgusting as twinkies).