It’s not just about calories

Replies

• pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    I do think there is some truth in this. Processed foods (broadly defined) have a negative metabolic, hormonal and inflammatory effect.

For those disagreeing — my question is: what part of this idea/concept are disagreeing with??
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member
    I continue to be shocked and surprised by the MFP community here that stubbornly defends eating whatever, whenever so long as you are caloric deficit for weight loss.

As though the number going down on a scale is the goal and holy grail.

I refuse to be intimidated by the disagree button.... Twinkie diet... As though that's good advice for someone wanting to have a healthy body. You want to be fit, you want to be healthy. You simply must fuel that goal. No one puts crap gas in a car to go racing. No one feeds fruit loops to a race horse. This concept of, it doesn't matter so long as it's within my calorie count is just an excuse for not making good choices.

People should make their own choices on what is fit and what fit isn't. If Fit to you means you need to be strict then great. If Fit to you means you can enjoy a cheeseburger and fries and milkshake, Great. Just stop telling people that the value of a calorie is equal. Value is the sum of what you're eating and nutritionally dense is not the same thing as a calorie.
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    mmapags wrote: »
    KHMcG wrote: »
    I continue to be shocked and surprised by the MFP community here that stubbornly defends eating whatever, whenever so long as you are caloric deficit for weight loss.

As though the number going down on a scale is the goal and holy grail.

I refuse to be intimidated by the disagree button.... Twinkie diet... As though that's good advice for someone wanting to have a healthy body. You want to be fit, you want to be healthy. You simply must fuel that goal. No one puts crap gas in a car to go racing. No one feeds fruit loops to a race horse. This concept of, it doesn't matter so long as it's within my calorie count is just an excuse for not making good choices.

People should make their own choices on what is fit and what fit isn't. If Fit to you means you need to be strict then great. If Fit to you means you can enjoy a cheeseburger and fries and milkshake, Great. Just stop telling people that the value of a calorie is equal. Value is the sum of what you're eating and nutritionally dense is not the same thing as a calorie.

This is where the context of an overall diet, over time comes into play. Nobody is recommending the twinkie diet. But, if you read about it, he also ate a few fruits and veggies and some protein. He lost weight but also, his blood markers improved. He made his point.

But I don't think that is really the point in this discussion. Literally no one advocates for a nutritionally void diet. And the value of a calorie is the same, no matter what the food is. The value of that food, nutritionally. can be vary wildly. So, to use your example above, the cheeseburger, fries and milkshake, what would be wrong with that in the context of an overall healthy nutrient dense diet, at the appropriate calorie level for that individual? It is a mistake to conflate calories with nutrition and the vast majority of people here know that.

And BTW, plug those items into the diary and see for your self. The macros for that meal aren't bad. Especially if there is some lettuce, tomato and maybe onion on the burger and the portion sizes are appropriate. While there may be some few people out there who might eat like that everyday, very few people do. It is really a strawman argument like most mono diet arguments are.

Had it last Friday. Had two burgers. Mmmm and ice cream!

I'm referring to those who troll these forums bashing people as they discover eating and food and calories and macros.
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    KHMcG wrote: »

This is a misrepresentation or misunderstanding of what is said.

Go back and read Ann's posts, please.

A healthy diet is a good thing, usually makes a calorie deficit easier, and is independently good for health (as is exercise, which most people who get scoldy about eating clean ignore, oddly).

But occasional treats or even an occasional (or daily) glass of whisky (or whiskey) don't preclude one from consuming a healthy diet. If you think eating a healthy diet is more defined by never eating a cookie or eating low carb (the OP seems to think the problem with alcohol is that it's carbs, which is truly bizarre), than what you in fact do eat (ideally sufficient protein, healthy fats (all fats aren't equal), and lots of veg and some fruit too, as well as sufficient fiber), then you don't get nutrition and shouldn't be lecturing others.

Here, people are focusing on weight loss, since the OP made the very bizarre claim that alcohol or treats preclude weight loss.

Not Ann. She's good.