How to let go of size

Options
During the Quarantine I didn’t have access to weights so I started running little by little I noticed the size of my arms and back was decreasing. I had no choice I got hooked on running and now I’m running 3-5 miles a day. But now the gyms are open and I began lifting again the problem however is that I’ve always had a gut and for the first time In 10 years I noticed a big difference I’m afraid the key for me is to keep running but the feeling of disappointment when I look at my arms is a bit hard to deal with

Replies

• jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    You could have still done pushups and pullups... great exercises that together hit almost everything upper body. Although I doubt you would have gained any real size with bodyweight in such a short time, it sure could have stopped or slowed any atrophy in the interim. Also, as was alluded to previously... how much of your arm size is actual muscle and how much was from excess fat? Fatceps aren't really something to lament losing, imo.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Why can’t you run and weight train?

Someone disagreed with this question - wow!

d5nh0qk9n38e.jpg

Better stop running mate or your muscles will drop off.......
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Why can’t you run and weight train?

Someone disagreed with this question - wow!

d5nh0qk9n38e.jpg

Better stop running mate or your muscles will drop off.......

I’d imagine the dislike is due to the rules
    Of specificity maybe?

Obviously you can run and lift weights
    But there will always be a trade off

mkesjbkp19sb.png

There a big difference between the explosive speed,power required for rugby and endurance training. Also not getting into the ped usage in professional sports, especially rugby which is rife even at amateur level.

• sijomial
    Options
    <snip>
    There a big difference between the explosive speed,power required for rugby and endurance training. Also not getting into the ped usage in professional sports, especially rugby which is rife even at amateur level.

There's always a trade off - agreed.
    But OP isn't doing endurance training.

Really not seeing why the OP seems to equate running with being lean or strength training with being fat. All combinations are possible (think I've done them all.....)
    Combining fairly short distance running with weight training really doesn't seem like a big issue to me unless someone is aiming at remarkably high levels in either discipline.
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    Personally I think up to 35 miles a week
    Of running Would have a impact on recovery aspect of weight training and hypertrophy

Personally I spent most of my military career
    Attempting to gain/maintain muscle mass while performing cardio

• sijomial
    Options
    watts6151 wrote: »
    Personally I think up to 35 miles a week
    Of running Would have a impact on recovery aspect of weight training and hypertrophy

Personally I spent most of my military career
    Attempting to gain/maintain muscle mass while performing cardio

Agree some impact and OP could no doubt schedule things better than running every day (if that's what he's actually doing).
    I do endurance cycling (multi hour rides, high monthly volume) and it definitely impacts my strength training and recovery

Unless he comes back to clarify I'm afraid my guess is that there's more likely a belief in a common myth about cardio burning muscle whereas it's more likely the absense of strength training was the real problem.

At least he lost his gut through and muscle should return quickly if he trains appropriately.
  • RudyNate
    RudyNate Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Don't understand why you can't run and lift. Also, I found the level of conditioning I was able to maintain with bands, light dumbbells and bodyweight exercises was surprising. When I sent checkin photos to my coach, he was very pleased. Since lockdown started, I gained 2.5 lbs. And my goal is gradual weight gain, so it all worked out.