Prof PT (not mine) said not to eat exercise cals back

Options
So I usually only eat a small percentage of exercise cals back if I workout as that works for me but I was told by a professional PT it’s best not to know how many calories I’m burning working out as it will stall my weightloss if I eat them back. I’m quite near target weight and my system is working for me but I’m wondering if that sounds right? What if you have a super heavy workout day and are genuinely hungry and need extra? I’m just wondering if this info is correct? I’m a bit confused. Thanks.

Replies

• Hanibanani2020
    Hanibanani2020 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    You let someone you employ give you lectures who also thinks you aren't adult enough to deserve straight forward answers to a simple question?

TDEE method - takes exercise into account.
    MyFitnessPal - takes exercise into account.
    All day trackers - takes exercise into account.

Your PT would seem to be the anomaly as well as having dreadful interpersonal skills.

Maybe ask him/her how you will be able to maintain at goal weight if you aren't in some way eating your exercise calories. (By luck perhaps?)

This isn’t my PT. Just one that was in the same place. I think they are PT for a lady in the group.
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options

TDEE method - takes exercise into account.
    MyFitnessPal - takes exercise into account.
    All day trackers - takes exercise into account.

Sorry just to clarify - @sijomial is right, I meant that you don’t eat extra calories after exercise if using the TDEE method as that’s factored in, whereas the MFP calculations assume you eat additional exercise cals. So I use TDEE and eat roughly the same cals every day regardless of whether I train or not, as it averages out over the week for me.
  • age_is_just_a_number
    age_is_just_a_number Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    - Track what you eat
    - Monitor your macros
    - Monitor your metrics (weight and measurements)
    - Then adjust as needed
    - As you lose weight, your body is going to change, not only in appearance, but also in how it reacts to different foods.

I turned off the adjust your intake calories for your burned calories and then I started losing. Reading the response above I understand why — it’s because MFP calorie intake calculator already includes your level of activity. Plus I don’t do really heavy workouts.

I’ve read other articles that indicate determining the number of calories burned is difficult and varies person to person.

If you’re hungry: first drink some water. Thirst is often mistaken for hunger. If you’re still hungry — eat and make a healthy choice that is going to satisfy that hunger.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Whether or not to eat back exercise calories "depends." Every number we are dealing with is an estimate. Our TDEE, exercise calories, food log calories all are estimates. If you walk a mile or two like me, you are only talking a couple hundred calories of exercise. To eat these back assumes I am "perfect" in my food logging and my numbers of calories expended are exactly right. So, I don't. I watch how I am losing. If I am fairly consistently losing a pound or so a week, I figure I'm "doing it right." If I don't, I consider lowering my daily calorie total. Unless and until my exercise is truly a major factor in terms of calories, I'm not going to worry about it.

On the other hand, if you are exercising hours a day and therefore burn many hundreds of calories in exercise, then you'd better adjust so you are eating enough to keep up your pace. If you find you are exhausted, something is wrong. Make sure you are getting enough nutrition and enough sleep.
  • Shortgirlrunning
    Shortgirlrunning Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    Do what works for you. I eat my cardio calories back but not my strength training calories. Cardio makes me extra hungry, strength training doesn’t.

My mom used to be a PT and she also was generally in the camp of don’t eat back your calories but I know that view didn’t come from any of her training it just came from her personal experience with weight loss and her personal philosophy of how it should be done. And I always thought her views were too narrow to be effectively helping all of her clients. So I wouldn’t say that just because this PT is a PT that his opinion on this comes from any place more valid than your own personal experience.
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    Exercise calories are a MFP thing. Many other programs work from TDEE which considers exercise already.
  • thelastnightingale
    thelastnightingale Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I think it's dangerous to say 'this workout burns off X calories' because everyone listening will burn off different amounts, and you don't want them taking an average as gospel.

Someone who is a size 6 is going to burn fewer calories than someone who is a size 16. It would be different if it was a one-to-one session.

Eating back your calories only works if you have a good idea of what that number is. If you estimate with a fitness tracker, that's obviously more accurate than if you google an average calorie burn for that exercise, without taking into account your height, weight and how much effort you put in.

Giving the benefit of the doubt, the PT's intended message may just have come out really badly?
  • gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Do what works for you. I eat my cardio calories back but not my strength training calories. Cardio makes me extra hungry, strength training doesn’t.

My mom used to be a PT and she also was generally in the camp of don’t eat back your calories but I know that view didn’t come from any of her training it just came from her personal experience with weight loss and her personal philosophy of how it should be done. And I always thought her views were too narrow to be effectively helping all of her clients. So I wouldn’t say that just because this PT is a PT that his opinion on this comes from any place more valid than your own personal experience.

Same, I eat cardio back but not strength training—so whatever extra bit I burned there but didn’t account for balances discrepancy in my cardio calorie count (in my mind, and apparently in reality, as scale tells me so. But then again I’m doing steady state cardio like walking or running, so perhaps that is easier to calculate than something like a HIIT workout or an aerobics class).

If I never ate any exercise calories back I would be eating waaay too little (I’m on 1350 to lose, usually burn 300-500 a day on intentional cardio, plus no counted strength training). That’s a recipe for badness.
  • threewins
    threewins Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    If you are exercising for weight loss, don't eat them back. If you are exercising because you enjoy exercising, don't eat them back.
  • thelastnightingale
    thelastnightingale Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    threewins wrote: »
    If you are exercising for weight loss, don't eat them back. If you are exercising because you enjoy exercising, don't eat them back.

It depends on how intensive a workout it is. If you're not usually active and have set your weight loss goals accordingly, you should eat some of those calories back as you'll be ravenous otherwise. I would never eat back 100% of the calories though, even if maintaining and not losing, mainly because you'll never know how accurate the burn is, so eating back a percentage like the OP is doing makes sense.

I find the problem with irregular exercise is my body gets spooked the next day and starts to demand more calories in the fear of being exercised again, so I have to choose my calories very carefully by eating foods which keep me fuller for longer. As with anything, if you make it regular, it becomes a habit, and your body adapts. It's the one-offs that cause a shock to the system!