PCOS Ladies... Help 💔

AshleyBK0620
AshleyBK0620 Posts: 14 Member
Hey. I have tried several different diets and I just need some help and direction. Any PCOS ladies out there who can help me and point me in the right direction? I don’t know what else to try to help me lose the weight.
#pcos #sendhelp #obesemess #whattodo #unhappy 💔💔💔

Replies

• harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    I have PCOS and I don't follow any named diet. I just try and becareful with my calories, and the weight is coming off slowly and steadily.

Have you used a food scale and tracked your calories?
  • AshleyBK0620
    AshleyBK0620 Posts: 14 Member
    I have tried a calorie counting diet, I have tried keto, Atkins, docs drops calorie deficiency diet, done a food diary, almost everything. Girl I don't know what to try next. I feel hopeless.
  • hipoudah
    hipoudah Posts: 1 Member
    Hello,
    I think the best thing is to try doing some workout; I have PCOS, I'm doing a 500 calories deficit and an alternated 30minutes cardio workout; I'm able to lose weight gradually(1kg per week which is optimal).
    I think the diet alone won't be as efficient because we tend to have a slow metabolism.
    Good luck ^^.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,329 Member
    Calorie counting is not a diet. It's just knowing how many calories you consume. How long did you do it, and did you use a foodscale for everything you ate? How much did you lose?
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Hey. I have tried several different diets and I just need some help and direction. Any PCOS ladies out there who can help me and point me in the right direction? I don’t know what else to try to help me lose the weight.
    #pcos #sendhelp #obesemess #whattodo #unhappy 💔💔💔

eat less, move more, count calories
    you need nothing more, I was first diagnosed with pcos almost 30 years ago, it works
  • risingmoonstexas
    risingmoonstexas Posts: 16 Member
    I would discuss it with your doctor. I definitely get what you are going through. I canceled my gym membership and did 9Rounds before I had a car accident and that really helped me. The entire group is on a timer, so it isn't like you are holding someone up. Then you switch stations.

Other than that, I finally had to opt for surgery.

Maybe get a trainer?
  • MessyBunBoyMom
    MessyBunBoyMom Posts: 4 Member
    I have PCOS and while I have always struggled with weight and had my fair share of different "diets" really it always comes down to calories in vs calories out, moving more, and being patient and not expecting fast results.
  • Lildarlinz
    Lildarlinz Posts: 276 Member
    edited July 2020
    I have been told I have the onset of PCOS.I have ivf back in 2012 then when we went back for a second round about 2015 the consultant to me I had the onset of it.
    I’ve used my fitness pal for ages.In the last 3-4 weeks I have lost weight by tracking and weighing all my foods (nearly 1/2 a stone) and I actually feel better in myself too!
    This week has been really hard as it’s my “lady week” and I haven’t had as much chocolate as I usually do before running up to it and I’ve felt a bit groggy! But I feel better knowing now the amount of junk I ate before I’ve changed it for something better and healthier :)
    And they do say you can reverse the affects of PCOS with diet, I’m not sure if that’s true just something I read
    Also with PCOS your at more risk of diabetes :(
    I’ve noticed that I used to eat unhealthy
    Like for instance I’d have a ham sandwich for breakfast, a big packet of crisps and a chocolate bar (not good)
    2 eggs on 2 slices of danish bread (you can buy from Aldi 51 calories) 230 calories
    Where with the ham sandwich,chocolate and crisps of a morning would work out to be about 800 calories
    You just got to take time to read labels on foods and make a diary of what your going to have for that day and scan everything
    But it doesn’t happen quickly, it takes time.
    And that’s where people give up because they don’t see the weight falling fast
    It’s too me 3/4 weeks to lose the half of a stone but it’s because I’ve been consistent with it :)
    Good luck with your weight loss journey xx :) always here if you want to chat or add me as a friend :) xx
  • kbonn1077
    kbonn1077 Posts: 3 Member
    I also have PCOS and I really struggle to lose weight. Thanks to everyone who shared their journeys— the thing I’ve heard most is to stay consistent, and I certainly need that reminder! Recently my lifestyle has gone from mostly active to mostly sedentary and that’s made weight losss much more difficult, even as I’ve been eating healthy. I’m trying to commit to hitting 7,000 steps everyday on my phone counter. Pacing around my living room, going for a walk, whatever I need to do. Even if I don’t do an intense workout, I’ve done something!
  • Kerry_R
    Kerry_R Posts: 25 Member
    I have PCOS and endometriosis. I have successfully lost over 2 stone (28lbs) and kept it off (with some fluctuations after holidays, Christmas, etc.). It has certainly not been a quick journey, nor has it been linear. I count my calories (I've never gone below 1500 a day), I move my body and I stay patient. If you want fast results, you can't guarantee it will stay off. It needs to be a lifestyle change, not a lifestyle fad.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,297 Member
    As I look through this thread I 've noticed not one of you ladies have mentioned the possibility of medication. My understanding which is only as an interested person. PCOS can be related to insulin resistance leading to diabetes in some. Dietary changes may help but are not necessarily the total answer for everyone. PCOS can also be related to low progesterone levels, progesterone is supposed to rise after ovulation to bring on a period. Not shedding the uterine lining efficiently/regularly will lead to endometriosis, ultimately, in some to endometrial cancer if its not taken seriously.

I fear too many of you are being told the only answer is to loose weight and all your issues will miraculously go away if you do. Then there are other endocrine interactions which impact on women's health. Too often the male form is taken as the blue print for human life. Women's bodies are more complicated because of their, want it or not, or not just yet, reproductive role, there is a vast scientific difference between one's body regularly preparing to produce a child and simply making sperm. Women's bodies are way more complicated with more stages at which we can develop issues. There is no one size fits all in this problem.

I know its difficult finding a good doctor to change to no matter where you are, knowing if that person is open to the concept of "women's health issues". It was my experience that all to often, women's health issues are dismissed as, your fault, you are doing something wrong usually eating too much and not moving enough!!! Even the pain, clots and all, its how periods are!!!! A younger friend of mind developed cell changes, she was put on a progesterone iud and within weeks her abnormal cells were gone. For others there could be progesterone pills though others would do better with their endocrine issues properly addressed which is difficult as a woman. Too often issues are thought to be all "in your head".

Please do your own research. Read Medical Papers, some are open access. Research symptoms, look to Doctors input, understand their qualification, take an interest in your general health, take control.

Yes, I'm jaundiced that little has changed in the last 50 years in the treatment of women and women's health issues. I want no one to go through the health problems I have because they were not able to find things out. The internet opens so many options for us. Ver best wishes to everyone.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,982 Member
    harper16 wrote: »
    I have PCOS and I don't follow any named diet. I just try and becareful with my calories, and the weight is coming off slowly and steadily.

Have you used a food scale and tracked your calories?

I second this^^ The food scale is a huge factor in success or not; just counting the calories based on general estimates is not going to work - eyeballing and measuring cups and spoons or just going by the package is notoriously off.

By budgeting my calories and managing a deficit, I have succeeding in losing nearly 140 lbs without any special diet while having PCOS- I eat what I want, though I do try to get in a decent amount of protein. And I did it without needing to drop below 1400 calories a day by managing a reasonable loss rate. PCOS doesn't break your metabolism or somehow make your metabolism be way off from the norm; it has its affects yes, but the down-regulation isn't enough to stop you from losing weight; you find a starting deficit, eat to that deficit, and then after about 4 to 6 weeks, adjust your deficit as needed to get to the loss rate you want.

PCOS does mess with your hormones and that can make the fight with mental hunger and fatigue the largest battle front in the war, and that's the part where I struggle; one way to help with this is to find a style of eating that leaves you satisfied and keep the loss rate reasonable - slow and steady will get you results just as well as fast, with the difference being that losing it slow and steady is more likely to be sustainable and thus lead to long term results; 1 lb/wk is perfectly reasonable for a loss rate or even 0.5 lb/wk.