Veggies and fruits

Options
Do you weigh all veggies and fruits?? I know with some like potatoes and some fruits it may be necessary but some veggies and fruits have so little calories. Just curious what everyone does.

Replies

• HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh everything after an initial check to make sure I'm close enough. For example, I know most of the bananas I get are a little heavy for medium but too small for large. A lot of times, though, I cut off the parts that have been bruised so I figure over the long run medium banana is the right database choice for me. I always weigh nuts, however, because I'll eat a whole can if unrestrained by the scale. I'm still losing weight so my present method is working for me. When it stops working, I'll tighten up on measuring.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,969 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Fruits and vegetables. Sometimes I'll eyeball a carrot stick or a celery stick or a bowl of plain lettuce if it's just a snack.

I do have vetted entries for using them in other ways. For instance, when I make salads I'll use whatever is in the drawer. I'll weigh the finished salad vegetables (before the dressing, croutons, cheese, meats, avocado or seeds) and then I have a "Meal" I've created that is, "Salad, veg only" and I enter the weight. Then the high calorie stuff I add to it that I mentioned above, I'll weigh each as it goes on.

With cooked vegetables I do weigh them, because I have mixtures I like and some are lots higher calories than others. They are all easy to find in my Recents list, so it's easy enough to do. Since I eat so many vegetables and fruits, I really have to keep track of them.
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    If its inconvenient to weigh everything: I'll estimate on low cal items like spinach/lettuce/cucumbers/etc.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    Options
    Yup, everything. For me, it's just easier to weigh it all, on autopilot, not try to be all think-y about what to weigh and what not. I know myself; if I'm inconsistent, I'll miss things I should've weighed/logged. YMMV.

It's easy if you get in a routine, for example, for salad: Plate on scale, zero. Add heap'o'greens, note grams, zero. Add tomatoes, note, zero. Add cheese, note, zero. . . . etc., all the way through to add dressing, note, done. Easy.

Others need not do likewise, but this works for me.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    I weigh it all, I’m a long term vegetarian, so many of my meals are predominantly vegetables and/or salad vegetables so if I didn’t weigh I’d really have no accurate idea of where I was calorie wise.

As a very short older woman my deficit is small and even small inaccuracies can make an impact on what needs to be very tight logging behaviour.

Also, it lets me look back and make a fair assessment of whether I’m getting adequate portions of the many and varied produce that helps me stay healthy.
  • Courtscan2
    Courtscan2 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Yes to things like bananas, carrots, potatoes - anything that can add up rapidly. No to things like salad leaves, where the difference between 1 cup or 2 is approximately 10 calories.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,998 Member
    Options
    I dont weigh many fruit now.

I do log them but every banana I eat is about the same size so they all just get logged as one small banana - or if it is a bigger one, 1.5 of small banana

Veg I estimate or if I am home I weigh things like roast potatoes.

as with all these threads - there is no one right answer - weigh every leaf of lettuce and cherry tomato you want, estimate and do law of averages if you want, skip things like a few carrot sticks if you want.

As long as whatever you are doing results in the weight loss/maintenance/gain pace you are aiming for.

If it doesn't, you may need to change something.

but If it aint broke dont fix it
  • Hanibanani2020
    Hanibanani2020 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I only weigh higher calorie fruit and veg but stuff like spinach, lettuce, berries, papaya etc..nah
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    I weigh most everything but I often log a static amount. I weigh more to make sure I am in range of that amount.

Example is onions for my fritatta. I always log 180g. I may only use 160g or I might use 200g but I log 180 because experience has taught me that is the average and it is faster to log a previous amount. Since I am a high volume eater my logging can get quite lengthy so I appreciate the shortcut.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    100% I do. Some days I go through a lot of "low calorie" vegetables and fruits. They add up!
  • nikkigetsthinner
    nikkigetsthinner Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I weight it, sometimes not. Things like apples and oranges, I don't weigh them. I just log "one medium apple" or "one medium orange" like that. Certain things like corn or potatoes I usually weigh them.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    I weigh most everything but I often log a static amount. I weigh more to make sure I am in range of that amount.

Example is onions for my fritatta. I always log 180g. I may only use 160g or I might use 200g but I log 180 because experience has taught me that is the average and it is faster to log a previous amount. Since I am a high volume eater my logging can get quite lengthy so I appreciate the shortcut.

Yes. Law of averages sir.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Everything. It’s all being consumed by me, and adds up. I don’t see much point in accurately weighing what I consume if I’m going to estimate some things. My body counts everything.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,998 Member
    Options
    Well, the point for me is to make the process as easy and streamlined as possible, whilst still acheiving the goal I want - currently maintain my weight.

I'm quite happy estimating some things - the loose logging I do is enough to get the results I want.