After back surgery

I am 36 and have had 2 back surgeries within a year and put on 25 lbs. I still find that I hurt in my lumbar in my L5 s1 area. Trying not to hurt myself more. Any suggestions? I have serious belly fat and cannot do crunches or heavy lifting.

Replies

• ABabilonia
    ABabilonia Posts: 622 Member
    Are you working with a physical therapist? FWIW you don't need to exercise to lose belly fat because you cannot spot reduce. You can essentially lose weight with calorie control. Since you still hurting even after your back surgery you may need a doctor's or a physical therapist's advise before doing any exercise.
  • Brandonswife19
    Brandonswife19 Posts: 10 Member
    I was released from Dr care. I walk 30 minutes a day at a brisk pace and watch my calorie intake. 5 years ago, MFP helped me to lose 35 lbs and I felt fantastic. Unfortunately, my body isn't what it used to be.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,550 Member
    I've had 4 back surgeries, last big one was two surgeries for a double inter body fusion. I do my PT exercises and added more stretching and strengthening ones from Yoga with Adrienne and Sidney Cummings. I only do half sit-ups and bird dog poses in my yoga routine as far as strength. I also lift weights and am currently doing seated cardio because of nerve damage in both sides from the waist down that's really flared up. Before the nerve pain got worse I was able to do various low impact cardio, I started walking in a pool then riding my recumbent bike which has great back support. If you want YouTube video recommendations send me a message, I have a bunch from the last few months.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    I also love Sydney Cummings. It might be a bit advanced for a beginner, so modify as needed. Jenny Ford has some really good beginner step routines, marching, and some full body workouts on her channel.
    (All on YouTube)
  • mullanphylane
    mullanphylane Posts: 172 Member
    Maybe consider yoga and/or tai chi, or even pilates. If you're capable of those HIT sessions, do them, too. Don't limit yourself to one type of exercise, though. Bottom line, it sounds as though you need to work on form and core more than anything else.

To lose fat one must eat fewer calories than they burn.
    EAT LESS
    EAT BETTER
    MOVE MORE
  • Grace_spaceship
    Grace_spaceship Posts: 80 Member
    I broke my spine in December 2018, luckily no surgery required but a long slow recovery. I gained about 20lbs. Finding a good physiotherapist is probably your best bet. Work on core strength! When I first got out of my brace I didn't have the strength to even stand upright for more than a couple minutes. If you haven't got sufficient core strength simple things like standing and walking will put pressure on your lower spine. One of my favourite core exercises is dead bugs. Also if you can bird dogs, and planks are core excercises you can do that bellies don't really get in the way of too much. Remember good form and slow controlled movements are important. As the core gets stronger you should be able to do different types of excercise.
  • kelseylamson
    kelseylamson Posts: 3 Member
    As an adult who can't run because of knee issues I lost 20lbs in 2.5 months with CICO and my kickscooter (kickbikes are even better). I love taking mine out on paved trails and typically ride anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours. Kickbiking is a super low impact exercise that burn the amount of calories somewhere between biking and running. Make sure to alternate kicking legs every 4-8 kicks for an even workout and to kick with propper form to spare the tendons in your ankles (heel-toe works best for me).
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Have you had any physical therapy? Keeping your core strengthened and legs stretched may help. There are back friendly core exercises out there. I had back pain for four years and eventually had surgery.
  • RockingWithLJ
    RockingWithLJ Posts: 243 Member
    edited July 2020
    Swimming.. And control your diet. 80% of weight loss is what you put into your body
  • age_is_just_a_number
    age_is_just_a_number Posts: 630 Member
    I had back surgery many many years ago. Also L5 S1. I continue to protect my lower back by:
    - keeping weight down ( totally agree, weight loss is mostly related to what you eat )
    - Daily walk
    - Core strengthening exercises such as plank
    - Avoid straining my lower back by stopping an exercise or activity if it feels uncomfortable. Such as leg raises — I only drop halfway and Keep my low back pressed down. If my low back starts to arch, I raise my legs back up

Keep well
  • kristingjertsen
    kristingjertsen Posts: 239 Member
    I have had two spine surgeries, both multi-level (cervical C3 to C7) and a 6 level thoracic fusion. I also have lumbar issues (not bad enough for surgery but painful). Definitely connect with a physical therapist and possibly a massage therapist as well (best pain relief I have found is via massage therapy). I have had to change up the way I exercise. Walking is painful to this day, so I limit my walking time for exercise. The best cardiovascular exercise I have found is lap swimming ( pain free so I am able to swim up to an hour a day. If you add flippers and an exercise board, you can really work your core muscles, build strength in your abdominal and back muscles, strengthen and tone your leg, arms, and shoulders, increase your range of motion, and gain flexibility. I do most of my stretching in the pool because it is pain free and safe. You can connect with a PT who knows water therapy or look online for good exercises. My second favorite exercise is riding my bicycle for 40 to 60 minutes per day. Another great cardiovascular exercise which builds core strength and balance and strengthens legs, glutes, and body. Be aware of what feels good for you and what causes discomfort and pain. It took me a while to realize that not every PT is skilled enough to adapt their standard exercise plan for a client who is no longer average. I still do PT exercises, but break down the program so that I am only doing one or two per day instead of all 10.
  • kristingjertsen
    kristingjertsen Posts: 239 Member
    One final note. I lost the 20 pounds I gained after surgery by swimming every morning and biking every evening. If you find a way to move that works for you and eat well, the surgery weight will gradually come off. It took me almost a year to find my groove.
  • Brandonswife19
    Brandonswife19 Posts: 10 Member
    I'm so sore. I hurt. I've been walking, well speed walking 30 minutes a day. I'm so exhausted. Today is my rest day.