Note to self... (and a public service announcement)

2»

Replies

• psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    When frying chicken, do not confuse powdered sugar for flour.

Hmmm... candied chicken... actually sounds good to me....
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Amazon third party liquid sucralose comes in the same type of clear squeeze bottle I use for mixing down 99.99% electronics cleaner into ~70% hand sanitizer. And both are clear liquids...

Welcome back @PAV8888 .... the "legend" has returned 🤟
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
    Baking powder vs baking soda - as a kid I don't know how many recipes I screwed up.
  • quiksylver296
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    When you wake up in the morning and go to brush your teeth half asleep, make sure that tube of toothpaste, is in fact toothpaste. That did not feel good, not at all.

Now you gotta tell us what it was? It was Preparation H, wasn't it?!? :laugh:
  • quiksylver296
    Shake your almond milk BEFORE taking the cap off.

Or make sure your shaker bottle cap is closed tight...
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,329 Member
    Baking powder vs baking soda - as a kid I don't know how many recipes I screwed up.

What is the difference? I only know baking powder but saw soda in the uk
  • quiksylver296
    yirara wrote: »

I’m not even sure, but mixing them up in a recipe is disastrous. Blech!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member

Baking soda is Sodium Bicarbonate (alkaline/base) - it needs an acid in order for it to make the bubbles that lighten up quick breads or whatever. Acid can be buttermilk, yogurt, citrus juice, vinegar . . . .

Baking powder is a mixture of a weak acid and something alkaline/base (usually a carbonate or bicarbonate), plus usually something to stabilize it, maybe cornstarch, so it doesn't bubble prematurely. Just adding a liquid will make it create the bubbles that are necessary for lightening up baked goods.

I'm not sure what disaster happens when you use baking powder instead of soda (seems like that might work, except that you might get some weird flat taste from the excess bicarbonate? If you use baking soda when you need baking powder, i.e., in a recipe without sufficent acid to cause the bubble-creating chemical reaction, the baked good product won't rise or have the right texture.
  • realnurse26
    realnurse26 Posts: 560 Member
    Another note to self (and these have all been great, by the way) that doesn’t necessarily have anything to do with a cooking mistake but is still very important to remember... do NOT use your cheat meal on a half order of nachos bell grande from Taco Bell. I have felt sick as a dog since yesterday. Dear God, what was I thinking??
  • quiksylver296
    How about a gym note to self?!?

Don't load a 25 plate on one side of the bar, and a 35 plate on the other side. That's a surprise when you go to bench press it! :laugh:

Trust me its much worse when you squat lol

You think I haven't done that, too?!? :p
  • MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 975 Member
    Another contact lens tip...mess with your contacts before brushing your teeth. Can anyone say, ‘minty fresh eyeballs’?
  • quiksylver296
    If you’re going to turn on a stove burner and walk away for a bit, make sure you’ve turned on the correct burner—the one with the pot of water, not the one with the empty pan.

I've done that! :|
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    When you wake up in the morning and go to brush your teeth half asleep, make sure that tube of toothpaste, is in fact toothpaste. That did not feel good, not at all.

Making the same mistake I discovered that the active ingredient in my wife's Heel Balm was very obviously urea.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    edited July 2020
    ladyreva78 wrote: »
    Cinnamon sugar chicken anyone?

B'stilla or Pastilla or any of several other spellings is a sweet and savory Morrocan or North African meat or seafood pie, frequently made (in the US, anyway) with chicken, cinnamon and sugar. It's totally yummy!!

• HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Never trust a whole spaghetti squash in the microwave, no matter how many holes you pierce it with. If it explodes and blows the door of the microwave open, it will do what a spaghetti squash does all over the room. Just the voice of experience speaking.
  • Mariposachris
    Mariposachris Posts: 2 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Baking soda is Sodium Bicarbonate (alkaline/base) - it needs an acid in order for it to make the bubbles that lighten up quick breads or whatever. Acid can be buttermilk, yogurt, citrus juice, vinegar . . . .

Baking powder is a mixture of a weak acid and something alkaline/base (usually a carbonate or bicarbonate), plus usually something to stabilize it, maybe cornstarch, so it doesn't bubble prematurely. Just adding a liquid will make it create the bubbles that are necessary for lightening up baked goods.

I'm not sure what disaster happens when you use baking powder instead of soda (seems like that might work, except that you might get some weird flat taste from the excess bicarbonate? If you use baking soda when you need baking powder, i.e., in a recipe without sufficent acid to cause the bubble-creating chemical reaction, the baked good product won't rise or have the right texture.

• Mariposachris
    Mariposachris Posts: 2 Member
    I work at a historic site where our volunteers cook on a wood stove. One new person used baking soda instead of baking powder in a biscuit recipe. They looked beautiful, but didn't taste very good to me. Hoping for the best, and not wanting to hurt her feelings, I let them sit out for sampling by visitors until I saw a woman retching into the garbage can after biting into one!