Has anyone here had or have the Corona Virus?

VegjoyP
VegjoyP Posts: 2,708 Member
I have several friends and a relative that have the Corona virus? A few in another state and 2 near me that I have not seen in months. So far all of them came out of it.

Replies

• dashagrr
    dashagrr Posts: 43 Member
    lgfrie wrote: »
    That is the big mystery question in my house. In late December I ended up in the ER with a fever of 103.8 and pulse of 135. Those numbers, though very high, do not begin to describe how sick I was. The ER doc said I had a mystery virus and had no idea what it was, but just to go home, take Tamiflu, and wait for it to pass, as there was nothing much they could do about a virus. So I went home. A week later I was fine. I never had anything like that before or since. It was all quite weird, and then the covid-19 news struck soon after. I live close to Dulles Airport in Virginia, where thousands of travelers from China and other points in Asia and Europe transit every day.

I had the same experience back in January. Fever was 103F when taken at an urgent care clinic. I don't think I ever had a fever that high. Negative flu test. I was told it's probably viral and prescribed both Tamiflu and antibiotics. Didn't take either and got better in a few days, although I coughed for a few weeks after that. Only cough and fever, nothing else. That was so weird and unusual for me.
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    dashagrr wrote: »
    lgfrie wrote: »
    That is the big mystery question in my house. In late December I ended up in the ER with a fever of 103.8 and pulse of 135. Those numbers, though very high, do not begin to describe how sick I was. The ER doc said I had a mystery virus and had no idea what it was, but just to go home, take Tamiflu, and wait for it to pass, as there was nothing much they could do about a virus. So I went home. A week later I was fine. I never had anything like that before or since. It was all quite weird, and then the covid-19 news struck soon after. I live close to Dulles Airport in Virginia, where thousands of travelers from China and other points in Asia and Europe transit every day.

I had the same experience back in January. Fever was 103F when taken at an urgent care clinic. I don't think I ever had a fever that high. Negative flu test. I was told it's probably viral and prescribed both Tamiflu and antibiotics. Didn't take either and got better in a few days, although I coughed for a few weeks after that. Only cough and fever, nothing else. That was so weird and unusual for me.

Very interesting. So our fever was about the same level. Now I remember I was, like you, given both Tamiflu and antibiotics. They ran two flu tests on me because that's what they thought it was; both were negative. I was 90 % better in 2-3 days, and completely over it in a week. I don't recall having a cough. I did have a racing pulse that got progressively worse in the 4-5 days before I finally went to the ER. Normally around 60-70, it was in the high 80's when I first noticed, went up about 10 BPM per day, and was in the 130's when I checked into the ER. Within days, it was like it all never happened. Weird. I rarely get colds and might've had the flu once twenty years ago - it was unusual, to say the least, to be sick like that. There's no convenient place to get a covid test but I'm thinking that's what it was. Doesn't matter much one way or the other to me; I'm doing my best to avoid covid and will continue to. They still don't know if getting it grants immunity, or for how long.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Back in January I had something, don’t know what. Had fever, felt like a weight on my chest kept me from deep breathing. Very tired. When I tried to do something, I would start coughing, have to stop and lie down so I could breathe. Never sick except when I would get so out of breath I got dizzy and a little nauseous, but it stopped immediately when I rested. I completely lost my appetite because I couldn’t smell or taste food. ???
  • Shortgirlrunning
    Shortgirlrunning Posts: 1,020 Member
    My husband and I both had something back in late January that closely matches the symptoms but no one was looking for it then. The urgent care doctors just gave me antibiotics (which I didn’t take because he didn’t check to see if I actually had a bacteria infection 🙄) and codine. It was awful but if it was coronavirus then definitely was a mild version of it compared to what others have had. My husband was in an NIH study for an antibody test but the earliest we would know those results is November.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,886 Member
    I believe there were additional people in https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10787509/coronavirus-prep/p1 who had cornonavirus-like symptoms before anyone was looking for it, plus a few who were officially diagnosed with it.
  • thelastnightingale
    thelastnightingale Posts: 725 Member
    edited July 2020
    I only know a few people who have had coronavirus. One is really struggling with his breathing after the fact, and getting quite depressed.

Most of the people I know who have died, have died because their (non-Covid related) treatment was disrupted by coronavirus. So it's been an indirect cause only.

I was quite ill in January with a really long recovery time, and I do wonder. A colleague brought down the whole office with a bug he picked up when coming back on an international flight. But as has been said, even if I had it then, an antibodies test might not show anything now. I'll never know...
  • Hanibanani2020
    Hanibanani2020 Posts: 523 Member
    My friend was a first responder and got it. He’s recovered now but is still very week so has been put on extended leave.
  • holly8312
    holly8312 Posts: 38 Member
    I know two people who had it. One recovered relatively quickly, in about 3 weeks, and the other had symptoms for several weeks and is still suffering from something that sounds like chronic fatigue syndrome, which her doctors think is an after-effect of the virus.
  • miriams76
    miriams76 Posts: 138 Member
    I had a virus that I contracted in India in late January. I was in bed for three days and then flew back to Australia whilst still sick but not feverish. A lot of the symptoms were similar - cough, dizzy, fever, weird rashes. The cough persisted for about a month!
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    First off the antibodies tests aren't reliable yet....I've a friend whose family is working on developing the tests

My mother in law has a friend who died from covid 19. We have a friend who was exposed and had evey symptom but wouldn't get himself a test...stupid. then again with this friend I'm not at all surprised he wouldn't.

I've had the test so I can see my mom. I'll have to have another next week. They're really not that bad
  • gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    One of my son’s soccer teammates looked like death warmed over the weekend before our state shut down. His parents said he had strep, but considering they were having their son play in a tournament while sick and his father is a pilot...I’m not sure about that. Three days later my friend’s son (aso on team, who was always on the field and bench w that kid) got sick w high fever and bad cough. Then she and her husband got it—shortness of breath, fever, fatigue, cough. There wasn’t testing available yet. Three days after tournament my son on the team had slight fever, headache, fatigue for a day or so, but nothing else. So maybe? Who knows. That son tested positive for flu A and B this winter, and we had another who had fever and fatigue but tested negative...again, who knows.

Husband has a partner who tested positive—10 days of high fever, fatigue, cough, nausea. He was probably exposed working in the hospital, despite wearing double mask, etc. One of his good friends’ college age daughter has it now, friend and wife awaiting test results, both have mild symptoms.
  • ChelzFit
    ChelzFit Posts: 292 Member
    My brother had it (works in a factory plant) and he had a fever for one day and that was it. He lives with my mom and dad so they stayed home for two weeks. My dad tested negative and they would not test my mom because she only had one symptom. My mom and dad are 68 so I was very worried for them, but it seemed to have been a very mild case for my brother. Besides high blood pressure they all have no underlying health conditions.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited July 2020
    I'm from Northern Ireland and I don't know of anyone who had it or who has died from it.
  • Clive_1963
    Clive_1963 Posts: 52 Member
    No idea, I have had cold symptoms but they went away and to be honest I do not worry about it. They have just started carrying out tests here now but again I have more chance of being killed in a RTA or by smoke related illness as all my colleagues smoke near me than covid. Worrying about something I have little control over is pointless. I try to avoid standing close to others but thats about it.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,094 Member
    When flouring a mold for a quiche, make sure you're using flour and not icing sugar (thank you BF, for the 'special' taste experience :tongue: )