How many g of fat per day?

tequierosince06
tequierosince06 Posts: 101 Member
edited July 2020 in Health and Weight Loss
So I have googled this question but I would like to know whats a normal for you? What is your typical g of fat you consume, how many g of protein & Typical total calories.

Im trying to figure out how to set my macros and want to compare to others “normal”. I would like to see if my goal is too low (because Im eating over my goal) and if my fat g im consuming are too high.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    In the past thirty days, I've ranged everywhere from 14 to 101 grams of fat a day. My goal is to generally have it be about 20-25% of my calories (I net about 1,400 a day, but actually eat up to 3,000 depending on activity).

• nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    I'm a female, eating about 1400 cals per day approximately. I don't pay TOO much attention to macros. But I try to get at least 60-70g of protein. I don't try to cut out fat, but of course when trying to get a lot of food into a small budget - lower fat options tend to be target foods. I understand fat is needed though - so I try to not let fat go below 30-35g daily. Carbs fall where they fall. I don't try to cut back or increase them - they just kind of happen lol.
  • tequierosince06
    I'm a female, eating about 1400 cals per day approximately. I don't pay TOO much attention to macros. But I try to get at least 60-70g of protein. I don't try to cut out fat, but of course when trying to get a lot of food into a small budget - lower fat options tend to be target foods. I understand fat is needed though - so I try to not let fat go below 30-35g daily. Carbs fall where they fall. I don't try to cut back or increase them - they just kind of happen lol.

I dont always pay attention to macros either but I dont like it when MFP tells me I went over my goal when im at 50g fat. Im currently readjusting my calories but I aim for 100+ g protein. Im usually between 100-120g. My g fat is usually 50-75g
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 978 Member
    I'm maintaining on 1360 cals a day although my normal, daily brisk walk to collect the newspaper, gives me another 100 cals and longer walks (one evening a week plus weekends) obviously give me more.

My fat, in the last 90 days, has been between 41 and 121g a day. According to the Weekly View on the app, my average over the last several weeks has been in the 70g range. My Sat Fat (which is the one I actually display on my dashboard) has ranged from 7 to 61g a day, with the vast majority of days being mid-range. Other than to occasionally think 'ouch', I don't pay a huge amount of attention to it.

I've read multiple suggestions on here about how much protein you should have per day, although it differs for those who are weight lifting. The general consensus is to aim for 0.6-0.8g per pound of your target body weight. That's also considered to be the minimum you should eat, not the maximum. My last few weeks have averaged in the 80s/90s.

The main thing I track is carbs. I aim for low carb, following Diabetes UK's guideline of 'under 130g a day'. If my calories and carbs are OK, as long as my protein number is reasonable (above 70g), I'm happy.

The default macro setting in MFP is thought to be good enough for most people. I only adjusted mine to lower the carb number and get it so that the calculated figure for grams is as close to 130 as I can get when you can only set percentages in multiples of 5.

My macros are set to 30% carb, 45% fat and 25% protein.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,931 Member
    When I was in weight loss mode I was pretty happy at 40C 40F 20P
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    I like to get at least 0.4g per lb bodyweight so that's 50g or more. I feel best at 75-95g. Protein is 130-160g. Total calories 2300-3500cals depending on my goals.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    I aim for 80-110 g of protein a day (more if I am lifting, which I haven't been) and fat g usually are under 50. That's not by design - it's just my preferred food sources. The recommendations I have read suggest .3g/lb of body weight unless one is significantly overweight, at which point .3g/goal weight might make more sense. There's a minimum # needed to properly absorb nutrients, etc. and also a need to have a dietary source of essential (omega) fats.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Typically 50-60 grams of fat per day for me.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,935 Member

I dont always pay attention to macros either but I dont like it when MFP tells me I went over my goal when im at 50g fat. Im currently readjusting my calories but I aim for 100+ g protein. Im usually between 100-120g. My g fat is usually 50-75g

Unless you're an unusual size, that's probably fine.

I think a minimum of 0.6-08g of protein daily per pound of healthy goal weight is fine, while restricting calories, for most people. (It's approximately equivalent to 0.8-1g per pound of lean body mass for most people.) For me, at 5'5", I shoot for 100g protein minimum.

For fats, I think a minimum of 0.35-0.45g per pound of bodyweight daily is generally adequate. Personally, I aim for 50g minimum, at 5'5" and 130 pounds.

I don't personally like using percentages only, because it can distort needs if one's calorie goal is unusual for their size (ultra-low calorie diet, or high activity level, for example).

I look at fat and protein as minimums (they're essential nutrients, in the technical meaning of that term - body can't manufacture them itself out of other nutrients). Over those minimums is fine with me, within calories (carbs balance out the calories). A consequence of looking at it that way is that I routinely get a mix of red and green totals on MFP. Frankly, I just pretend that means it's Christmas. ;)
  • tequierosince06
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Unless you're an unusual size, that's probably fine.

I think a minimum of 0.6-08g of protein daily per pound of healthy goal weight is fine, while restricting calories, for most people. (It's approximately equivalent to 0.8-1g per pound of lean body mass for most people.) For me, at 5'5", I shoot for 100g protein minimum.

For fats, I think a minimum of 0.35-0.45g per pound of bodyweight daily is generally adequate. Personally, I aim for 50g minimum, at 5'5" and 130 pounds.

I don't personally like using percentages only, because it can distort needs if one's calorie goal is unusual for their size (ultra-low calorie diet, or high activity level, for example).

I look at fat and protein as minimums (they're essential nutrients, in the technical meaning of that term - body can't manufacture them itself out of other nutrients). Over those minimums is fine with me, within calories (carbs balance out the calories). A consequence of looking at it that way is that I routinely get a mix of red and green totals on MFP. Frankly, I just pretend that means it's Christmas. ;)

Thank you for this!! I really dont like the percentages either I also like to think of my goals in g instead. Minimum g for protein & not to go over certain g in fats & carbs. And thanks for clarifying that my fat intake is normal.