Intermittent fasting and low carb

Options
hey all!!
So I have been off of working out for a while due to a wound that just won't heal! It's odd because I have no reason why it shouldn't be
It could just be a sign that I need to take it slow.

So I started intermittent fasting and low carb with one day of cheat dinner or snack.
So far I have lost 22 pounds!!!!
Cannot believe it. It has been 2 months
Hoping to continue to get to my first goal of 41 pounds.

My goal altogether to loose is 80 pounds
I know this will take time but so far I have had diligence , determination, accountability, portion control and self restriction!
This is longest I have gone and hopefully I will continue.

Fitness pal definitely helps keep me on track and I log everything!! Also my cheat because even when I cheat I try to stay within my calorie goals!!

Hope everyone is staying safe and thanks for reading.. !

Replies

• Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,589 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Sorry about your wound ... I can relate ... I just got back into working out after fracturing my foot twice and having a screw put in my foot in March of this year..... Congrats on losing 22 lbs..... I am Keto .....There is a low carb group you should join if you want

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum
  • Dancer0515
    Dancer0515 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Dancer0515 please see your doctor. There are many reasons unrelated to diet that could explain an inability to heal. I'm no doctor so I won't list what they might be, but its worth your looking into.

Hello!! I am a nurse just finished my nurse practitioner
    I have an appointment tomorrow!! Thank you for your concern
    It has definitely been way too long. My work and career advancement is suffering but so is overall mental health. I normally swim as an exercise but cannot do it due to this. FRUSTRATION!!
    Thanks again!!
    Dee
  • Dancer0515
    Options
    Sorry about your wound ... I can relate ... I just got back into working out after fracturing my foot twice and having a screw put in my foot in March of this year..... Congrats on losing 22 lbs..... I am Keto .....There is a low carb group you should join if you want

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum

thank you so much!! I will check it out!!
  • darksunapril
    darksunapril Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    @Dancer0515 fantastic weight loss over such a short period of time. I have been intermittently fasting, not that strict, and lost 52lb in total. Sticking to it more over last couple of weeks with a plan to continue for life. Got another 40lb to lose to reach a healthy BMI. How long are your fasting windows? My aim is 18 hours of only water, but sometimes manage 19.

Cheat meal for me tomorrow but as myfitnesspal puts my allowed calories at 1200 I can never stick below this.
  • Dancer0515
    Options
    @Dancer0515 fantastic weight loss over such a short period of time. I have been intermittently fasting, not that strict, and lost 52lb in total. Sticking to it more over last couple of weeks with a plan to continue for life. Got another 40lb to lose to reach a healthy BMI. How long are your fasting windows? My aim is 18 hours of only water, but sometimes manage 19.
    Cheat meal for me tomorrow but as myfitnesspal puts my allowed calories at 1200 I can never stick below this.

Awww!! @darksunapril Awesome job!! Super proud of your weight loss!!!
    I stick to 16.. try to do 18, 4x per week to trick mg body. Sometimes I fast longer just because of work and not getting a break. I'm a nurse so it definitely can be so busy I never get to eat until like 3 or 4!!. I never stick below my cheat meal calories because during the week im usually below my calories. So if i go over 100 to 200 then its ok.
    My calorie goal is 1604 currently. Im slowly decreasing since I cannot work out yet so im trying to Macro count. I log everything which keep me accountable

I have 60 pounds to go until im at my healthier BMI. I was always a higher BMI but I also worked out a ton. I went from a size 4 to a size 18.. bahhhh!! Of course this is over 4 years but still.. way too much. I think thats what happens with stress of school, getting married and just working too much!! So now because ot current health situation I have definitely learned to go slower.. focus on myself.. and make sure I heal. Not working so much and definitely not ceash dieting. Keeping it flexible.. so when I reach my goal its maintainable!! Have a great day!!
  • darksunapril
    Options

You're not supposed to stick 'below' it. You're supposed to eat 1200 cals a day. Those 1200 already have a deficit built in based on the goal that you set. Under-eating, over a period of time, will lead to serious health problems that you really don't want.

I meant around it 🙄 ... a cheat meal for me is usually a pizza so ends up being about 2000+ which I could never gain back by over a weekly average. Oh well. Feast, fast, repeat seems to be working and hopefully can keep going for life
  • darksunapril
    Options
    @Dancer0515 definitely focus on yourself, sounds like you do so much for your patients. You've got this!! I wish you luck, slow and steady will get you there.
    Taken me over a year to get where I am, and I know I've got a way to go but feeling hopeful that the graph will keep on the downward trend
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    You may find it helpful to look at the Weekly View page on the app once in a while.

My intake was also 'around' my goal (it sets off alarm bells when people say they're trying to eat under the number of calories MFP gives them, as so many think that's what they should do). I don't eat the same thing every day nor do the same amount of exercise every day, so of course my cals are going to vary. However, I check that my weekly Net Average cals over the 7 day period are pretty much where they should be. Plenty of people eat a little bit under for several days then have more of a splurge at the weekend or for a special occasion. The problem is those who are just under-eating in general.
  • stace41
    stace41 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss! I am at my heaviest right now and need to lose at least 60 lbs. I've done Keto in the past, but I want something that isn't quite as restrictive and more realistic for my life. I do plan on doing a low carb plan with moderate to high fat. Can you please tell me what your daily percentage for carbs, fats, and protein are as well as daily calorie intake. I'm having a hard time finding a good formula to figure this info out.
  • Dancer0515
    Options
    stace41 wrote: »
    Congrats on your weight loss! I am at my heaviest right now and need to lose at least 60 lbs. I've done Keto in the past, but I want something that isn't quite as restrictive and more realistic for my life. I do plan on doing a low carb plan with moderate to high fat. Can you please tell me what your daily percentage for carbs, fats, and protein are as well as daily calorie intake. I'm having a hard time finding a good formula to figure this info out.

I would go to a macro calculator. Its based on height weight.. and your goal. Then you choose high protien.. low carb or whatever one you want and click on loose weight it will give you your percentages and calories!! Its what I usually use.