How many calories in this bag of rice?

Options
I'm trying to figure out the nutritional value of VeeTee Fragrant Thai Jasmine 1kg:

477699011_0_640x640.jpg?identifier=49ef3af76c16cf4b3f3898f62a01a872

It's a 1kg bag of jasmine rice, but the nutritional information is either "(as consumed) per 100g" or "per 120g serving (cooked as per instructions".

The instructions just refer to a large pan of boiling water:

"Hob - From Ambient. Allow 60g portion per person. Add the rice to a large pan of boiling water. Stir once, cover and simmer for 12 minutes. Drain well, separate the grains with a fork and serve."

I just want to know how many calories are in the dry bag of 1kg and I'm scratching my head. I want to make jook, so it's obviously going to have more water than normal, and I could eat a whole pot of jook, so I need to understand the nutritional information so I can plan around it.

Help?

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    Probably around 360 calories for 100 grams.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    harper16 wrote: »
    Weigh out 100g of dry rice and that's one serving.

100g, weighed dry, is a lot of rice for one person! OP says that bag states 60g per serving.

In general, 100g (weighed dry) will have 360 calories, slight variations for rice type (long grain, short grain, basmati, brown etc) but 360 is a good mid-point.

Therefore your entire 1kg bag has 3,600 calories.

A 60g portion (again, weighed dry) will contain 216 calories.

Standard rice portions, according to the packet nutritional panels tend to range anywhere from 56g all the way up to 75g per person. Personally, I find 50g to be plenty, if it’s being eaten as part of a finished meal.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,410 Member
    Options
    My personal amount of rice is about 70-80 grams, 60 if I really used too many other cooking ingredients. Thus the size of my serving of rice depends on the rest of the meal.
  • thelastnightingale
    thelastnightingale Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your input - I don't know why they make the nutritional information so hard to work out! I'll go with 360 calories per 100g and take it from there. :) I like to know the values for my ingredients before I start constructing a recipe/deciding on a portion size.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,971 Member
    Options
    It says 60g uncooked is a serving. I would always use the uncooked weight.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I would just use one of the generic entries for dry jasmine rice that agrees with a bunch of others. (I doubt you'll find much variation between different brands).