Foam Roller?

Options
So I was at my local TJ Maxx looking for some new activewear and in that section they have a small display of fitness items like kettle bells, yoga mats, workout gloves and other such things. They had a small selection of foam rollers. I had come across them before when I was shopping for yoga accessories online but I didn't know what they were for. After some light research I think I may want to get one but I do not know which kind to get.

If you have one:
Do you like it?
Should I get one?
Does it live up to the hype?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• YoBecca
    YoBecca Posts: 167
    Options
    I have one. I use it a ton (nearly nightly) - but I have tight IT bands, as well as tight calves and glutes, and there's not really anything else that works to stretch them out. I never needed it until I started running distances and feeling the effects. I recommend them highly to anyone with tight or achy legs or hips - but if you don't have those issues, I wouldn't.

A few notes on them - you have to make sure you're using then right or it ends up doing more harm than good (I.e. just bruising the muscle), and they hurt like hell. So by the time you've done 20 reps (what my Phys Therapist has me do) you're dying to stop. That being said, my roller keeps me running and I love it.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I crushed a cheap one.
    used a pvc for a while
    finally got a rumble roller. It's the bomb.
  • freyaheart
    freyaheart Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I crushed a cheap one.
    used a pvc for a while

PVC? Like PVC pipe? By the way I love your avatar picture
  • LeviLeDoux
    LeviLeDoux Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I'm currently lusting after foam rollers. I need to just go get one.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I crushed a cheap one.
    used a pvc for a while

PVC? Like PVC pipe? By the way I love your avatar picture

Yep! 6" PVC pipe. It slips a lot.

And thank you! :) I drew it. I love Adventure time!
  • missheathier
    missheathier Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have a long medium density 66fit foam roller.

Brutal hard work, i do it after a training session so my limbs are warmer.

I also suffer iwth tight ITB's and weak glutes and rock solid calf muscle. The foam roller along with my stretching/pilates routine really does keep me moving!

Highly recommnded.
  • trainerbarb
    Options
    Can't do without my foam roller. I suffer from a righteous case of "runner's butt" (a.k.a. piriformis syndrome) and without rollering, just walking is hard.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I have a medium from trigger point, it' pretty high quality and not flattening at all like I would expect due to weight and use. I use it for a tight IT band, it's not comfortable, but it will do a lot of good work for you. You'll get used to the pain.
  • Krista916
    Krista916 Posts: 258
    Options

THIS! I keep saying I'm going to get one and jsut never do! This weekend! *wink wink*
  • A_Warrior_Princess
    A_Warrior_Princess Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I have one and my hubby and I both use it to roll out sore muscles. It does hurt like hell but it is worth the feeling the next day. Not nearly as sore.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I foam roll every day. Excellent way of working out knots.
    If you are a beginner, you should get a softer one.
    If you do it right, it is going to feel REAL uncomfortable while you are doing it... but well worth the results.
  • Alehmer
    Alehmer Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Rumble roller for the win!
    Coming off of ACL surgey I had 2 years of knee pain... gone within 2 days of rolling. Just make sure you are using it right.

Pro tip, if you aren't fighting tears, you either don't need it of (much more likely) you aren't using it right. Gotta find the most painful point in the whole range, relax completely, and just take the enormous pain for 30-60 seconds.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    If you have one:
    Do you like it?
    Yes

Should I get one?
    Yes

Does it live up to the hype?
    What hype? It's a way to perform myofascial release on yourself.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I never wanted one but it can't be your only exercise, for starters. It seems to me to be a good way to keep your hands busy if you're watching TV, instead of snacking.
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    My husband loves to use my rolling pin to roll out his muscles :laugh: I recently bought him a foam roller, and he was all gung ho about it until he crushed his man parts :noway: Back to the rolling pin, lol!!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I never wanted one but it can't be your only exercise, for starters. It seems to me to be a good way to keep your hands busy if you're watching TV, instead of snacking.

I'm not sure of how it could be an "exercise", you're on a roller working knots out of muscles.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    My husband loves to use my rolling pin to roll out his muscles :laugh: I recently bought him a foam roller, and he was all gung ho about it until he crushed his man parts :noway: Back to the rolling pin, lol!!

crushed his manparts? How the hell did he do that? lol
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitness Gear Firm Hollow Roller which works well but I also bought a Moji 360 handheld massager and that seems to work even better because I can pinpoint where I want the pressure
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options

I don't think a foam roller is what you think it is...

OP: I have a foam roller, and a rolling stick. I use both nearly daily. Foam roller is great for my tight IT bands and glutes. Stick works great on my super tight calves, hammies and quads. Highly recommend investing in this little bit of self-care. It makes a HUGE difference.