Getting Fit in the 30's

Replies

• aaputnam2
    aaputnam2 Posts: 2 Member
    Hey! My name is Aly - going to be 31 this fall. Two kids (7 and 9) - recently gained a few lbs after starting a new medication for my Crohn's disease and am trying to drop it back off. I've got cats too! (And two dogs, and a guinea pig, and four chickens haha) am a marine scientist (MS) mid phd and looking for others my age to connect with and stay motivated together! Would love to add any of you! :)
  • liliesonthepond
    liliesonthepond Posts: 25 Member
    aaputnam2 wrote: »
    Hey! My name is Aly - going to be 31 this fall. Two kids (7 and 9) - recently gained a few lbs after starting a new medication for my Crohn's disease and am trying to drop it back off. I've got cats too! (And two dogs, and a guinea pig, and four chickens haha) am a marine scientist (MS) mid phd and looking for others my age to connect with and stay motivated together! Would love to add any of you! :)

Welcome! Yes but are your cats jerks? 😜 Sounds like you have a lot going on in your life right now! It's awesome you're taking the time to care for yourself amongst all that!
  • LukesGreenMilk
    LukesGreenMilk Posts: 56 Member
    edited July 2020
    scollis11 wrote: »
    Love your meal prep choices! Lebanese foods are some of my favorite and remind me of home. We had a huge Lebanese heritage festival in my hometown each summer, and it was one of my favorite events!
    Thanks, I wish I had that festival! I'm Lebanese and we were supposed to meet for a big reunion in Myrtle Beach next week, 200 of us taking over a beachside hotel with dancing, partying, card games, waves. But it got canceled because of coronavirus. So I am making up for it by making as much Lebanese food as possible!

• scollis11
    scollis11 Posts: 21 Member
    Love your meal prep choices! Lebanese foods are some of my favorite and remind me of home. We had a huge Lebanese heritage festival in my hometown each summer, and it was one of my favorite events!
    Thanks, I wish I had that festival! I'm Lebanese and we were supposed to meet for a big reunion in Myrtle Beach next week, 200 of us taking over a beachside hotel with dancing, partying, card games, waves. But it got canceled because of coronavirus. So I am making up for it by making as much Lebanese food as possible!

I am so sorry it was canceled, I hope it can be rescheduled!
  • clairerice7888
    clairerice7888 Posts: 4 Member
    I'm 33 and also have a cat I ll join ! Xx
  • liliesonthepond
    I'm 33 and also have a cat I ll join ! Xx

Cat club
  • silverpl2525
    silverpl2525 Posts: 138 Member
    Tuesday: 181.1
  • motivatedsister
    motivatedsister Posts: 544 Member
    Do you have access to a small space to do some videos? My FAVORITE are fitnessblender on YouTube. They are mostly HIIT style workouts and it can all be done with minimal equipment and body weight. The best part is you can pick a video that is anywhere from 10 minutes up to an hour or so. Do what you can with the time you have!
    My parents have a Peloton and it is awesome. Are you going to do the monthly subscription? It is expensive, but my parents find it to be very much worth it.

Yep we have the monthly subscription. We already have access so I have done some of the Yoga workouts on there already. They have a strength section, so I need to check that out too! I hope I like the bike as much as your parents!

Since fitnessblender is on YouTube, I'm assuming those videos are free?
  • scollis11
    scollis11 Posts: 21 Member
    Do you have access to a small space to do some videos? My FAVORITE are fitnessblender on YouTube. They are mostly HIIT style workouts and it can all be done with minimal equipment and body weight. The best part is you can pick a video that is anywhere from 10 minutes up to an hour or so. Do what you can with the time you have!
    My parents have a Peloton and it is awesome. Are you going to do the monthly subscription? It is expensive, but my parents find it to be very much worth it.

Yep we have the monthly subscription. We already have access so I have done some of the Yoga workouts on there already. They have a strength section, so I need to check that out too! I hope I like the bike as much as your parents!

Since fitnessblender is on YouTube, I'm assuming those videos are free?

Yep! Fitnessblender is 100% free!
  • liliesonthepond
    Tuesday: 181.1

Nice!!
  • clairerice7888
    clairerice7888 Posts: 4 Member
    Anyone have a nutri bullet with any good smoothie ideas ? Just got one ! :smile: xx
  • liliesonthepond
    dgruden wrote: »
    Hello! I'm mid-30s, wife, mother of two, first grade teacher. About 4 years, I used this app. and my fitbit and lost nearly 55lbs in 5 months. I was able to keep the weight off for another 8 months. But Unfortunately, work stress and life happened and I didn't maintain taking care of my self. So I have gained all that weight+ back. Definitely looking for support and accountability. Right now I am trying to focus on nutrition and healthy eating (root of my problem!). After I get that more routine, then I want to start increasing my physical activity.

We are in the same boat! At least we know we've done it before so we can do it again!!
  • liliesonthepond
    How's everyone holding up??
  • silverpl2525
    silverpl2525 Posts: 138 Member
    Doing OK, successfully avoided some a "treat" food today and made toast instead. I'm finding that drinking lots of flavored water is helping me feel more full all the time. Not sure if I should be weighing myself everyday or once a week, due to daily fluctuations. Thoughts?
  • liliesonthepond
    Doing OK, successfully avoided some a "treat" food today and made toast instead. I'm finding that drinking lots of flavored water is helping me feel more full all the time. Not sure if I should be weighing myself everyday or once a week, due to daily fluctuations. Thoughts?

I guess it depends on what you want to do. I sometimes get bummed out when I see the same go up but at the same time I wanna know hahaha.
  • SuARogue
    SuARogue Posts: 17 Member
    Hey there! I'm in my 30s and have about 65lbs to drop. Feel free to add me! :)
  • Kita328
    Kita328 Posts: 370 Member
    I am 34 and have been hovering between my scary weight and an acceptable scary weight... I am looking to get fit and healthy even though I am in my 30's! In my late 20's I went through a breakup and focused on my fitness so hard that I was my lowest adult weight and it felt great... I'd like to get back to that.

I am looking for friends on MFP to help hold me accountable. I use a Garmin and I have a bad@$$ dog... Hope I can still fit in.
  • Kita328
    Kita328 Posts: 370 Member
    Had no snacks in the house so had some cereal instead at night last night. If it's not in the house, I'm not tempted to eat it!

That's a great start. It's so true that of it's on the house you're more apt to eat it. I don't want to get rid of sweets completely so I'm im trying to just keep little chocolate chips around. I also switched to fudgicles or those mini mini Ben and Jerry I've creams for a special treat so I don't overdo the sweets myself.

I agree! I cannot buy things and not eat them. I have worked hard at not putting them in my cart at the grocery store telling myself- I live walking distance to a convenience store, so if I have to leave my house and go there when I want a snack- the chances are I wont. Sometimes I do, but its super rare.
  • cvdub16
    cvdub16 Posts: 71 Member
    I am right there with you! I am 35. I actually lost weight during my last pregnancy and afterwards only had about 25lbs to go but since I was on a strict diet when I was pregnant (had gestational diabetes) I went a little crazy once I was in the clear and having 5 kids and working full time my available free time is limited. So I have gained almost all I lost during and after my pregnancy. I now have 50lbs to lose. I too need someone to help me get up and workout and get better at what I eat!