Getting Fit in the 30's

Options

Replies

• silverpl2525
    silverpl2525 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Hmmmmm I found a new snack food which theoretically might be better... Skinny Pop Rice Cakes (I like the brown sugar/cinnamon flavor). It's like cinnamon toast crunch, but not as tasty due to it being a rice cake. Fills me up and there aren't too many calories. If you can handle rice cakes, give them a try!
  • liliesonthepond
    liliesonthepond Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    That sounds good! I've tried the better popcorn one but wasn't a fan. Cinnamon toast crunch version sounds good!
  • motivatedsister
    motivatedsister Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Woke up this AM to walk before work. I live in a safe area, but it was still darker than what I was expecting. Lol I was never so happy for the sun to come out. I think I'll try to find some mace in a can to put on my key chain just to be safe. I'm hoping to keep this up until my Peloton bike arrives next month.

Hoping for a 2 lb loss this week!
  • Whey125
    Whey125 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I am actually in almost 40 club ...39 year old high stress job with PCOS. I have 10lbs to lose and the weight is hard to fall off but I am trying.

I really need to focus on eating habits and not being discouraged at the number on the scale.
  • missch1ck
    missch1ck Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Accountability needed here as well. I joined MFP several years ago, ~2012 I think. I don’t have much lbs to lose - my focus is toning and just overall healthy lifestyle. The thirties hit and your body starts to betray you; add pregnancies - FORGET about it!

I use Apple Watch, just got it a few months ago and it has been really helpful. Everyday I try to close my rings but now I am starting to develop more of a game plan: eat needed calories, needed macros, cardio, yoga and weight lifting, etc.

I think it might be helpful to list our goals, weekly or daily. Then have a check in day with how our week/ day went.
  • missch1ck
    missch1ck Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Whey125 wrote: »
    I am actually in almost 40 club ...39 year old high stress job with PCOS. I have 10lbs to lose and the weight is hard to fall off but I am trying.

I really need to focus on eating habits and not being discouraged at the number on the scale.

Exercising is hard, you have to be motivated but once get the gym or wherever it’sa done deal. Eating habits on the other hand, to me, is the hardest. I’ve been eating one way my whole life. Changing what, how much and when is difficult. @Whey125 maybe if you scale check less frequently it will less discouraging
  • daniel_mdsn28
    daniel_mdsn28 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I have a Fitbit as well use it all the time.
  • motivatedsister
    Options
    missch1ck wrote: »
    Exercising is hard, you have to be motivated but once get the gym or wherever it’sa done deal. Eating habits on the other hand, to me, is the hardest. I’ve been eating one way my whole life. Changing what, how much and when is difficult. @Whey125 maybe if you scale check less frequently it will less discouraging

I'm with you eating habits are the hardest for me! On top of having a kid last year, I started a new job that has later hours. By the time I pick up my son from daycare after work it's already close to 6pm. There's just not a lot of time to cook dinner when I get home before having to start his bedtime routine. Not having a plan makes it so much easier to just pick something up, and with time being short that results in looking for something quick which isn't always the healthiest. I'm trying to either prepare something the night before in the crockpot or have an idea for something I can cook easily.

Bottom line - I have to plan dinner! I'm better about breakfast and lunch, but overall I need to get better about meal prepping/planning. When I don't know what is on the menu for a meal....that's where I run into problems!

I don't have as much time as I used to to devote to working out, but I can manage an hour before work and taking walks with my son in the evenings (another week cementing this back into routine and I know I'll be consistent on that front). I know that's just icing on the cake, but I've gotta get the eating down if I'm gonna get that scale to budge!
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,217 Member
    Options
    31, have three cats and a 19 month-old son. Feel free to add me.

I didn't start lifting until 26 and wish I'd started much sooner. In those five years I've been able to successfully improve my body composition while getting significantly stronger. The best advice I've received on the platform is that to have the mindset that you need to manipulate your diet (noun, not verb) to manipulate your weight and pursue exercise for health, fitness, performance, and aesthetics goals. Creating this separation between exercise and weight loss was incredibly liberating and has improved my relationship with both food and exercise immensely by eliminating that transaction relationship between an exercise activity and calories. I no longer feel guilty for not doing exercise I don't like (looking at you cardio or circuit training) or fall into a treat/reward cycle. Sure, incentives do work for some people but I found myself not liking the dynamic after I more than one occasion opted to run the 3 miles to Chipotle to "earn" my guac and it felt like a slippery slope to truly disordered eating.
  • rcpm1014
    rcpm1014 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    In my 30s too and struggle with that motivation and accountability too! Looks like I’m not alone lol - anyone feel free to add me and we can help each other! :)
  • Masika13
    Masika13 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Im 36. I started my journey January 2019. In February 2020 i was down 99 pounds.
    Today im down 90. Ive been working out hardcore since November 2019. After the workouts i get extra hungry and snacky. I feel so lost. The weight gain is tight not flabby but my ideal weight is 40 pounds away. I cant seem to get out of the cycle.
  • motivatedsister
    Options
    Masika13 wrote: »
    Im 36. I started my journey January 2019. In February 2020 i was down 99 pounds.
    Today im down 90. Ive been working out hardcore since November 2019. After the workouts i get extra hungry and snacky. I feel so lost. The weight gain is tight not flabby but my ideal weight is 40 pounds away. I cant seem to get out of the cycle.

Wow, that's an awesome loss! You obviously know what you're doing. You've lost that much, I'm sure you'll be able to get it going again to reach your ideal weight. Are you snacking on crappy stuff?
  • Faenaria
    Faenaria Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Going to be 32 this weekend, single parent and cat-Mum.
    Working on portion control/kicking binge eating for now, restarting my journey for what feels like the zillionth time.
  • motivatedsister
    Options
    steveko89 wrote: »
    I see a number of posts mentioning needing motivation... screw motivation, it's a fleeting muse and unreliable. Consistency, habit, and structured discipline will outlast motivation. You don't need any "hacks", tips or tricks, you need an unsexy, ruthless execution of the basics, day-in and day-out.

Motivation can be the spark that gets you going - but I agree with you, if you don't develop consistency and discipline you will ultimately fail. If you don't make whatever it is personally for you a habit (i.e. tracking calories, exercise) in order to reach your goal(s), you will constantly always need "motivation" to make you want to continue. It makes it so easy to quit on the days where the motivation is lacking. But if you have consistency it'll push you through. You'll definitely need it on the days where you still don't see any visible changes in the mirror, or when the scale doesn't move, or when the weight isn't coming off at the speed that you want!
  • Generic_Excuse
    Generic_Excuse Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Same deal as most of y'all. Early 30's, 4 kids very close together, and alot of weight gain. Now I am on a mission to lose it and be a healthier, more active mom for them. Also I want to lose weight for the obvious comfort and self esteem aspects too I won't pretend they don't also play a factor. I have an amazing support system and I'd love to also be a source of support for anyone who needs it!! Add me! 😄
  • scollis11
    scollis11 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    31, have three cats and a 19 month-old son. Feel free to add me.

I didn't start lifting until 26 and wish I'd started much sooner. In those five years I've been able to successfully improve my body composition while getting significantly stronger. The best advice I've received on the platform is that to have the mindset that you need to manipulate your diet (noun, not verb) to manipulate your weight and pursue exercise for health, fitness, performance, and aesthetics goals. Creating this separation between exercise and weight loss was incredibly liberating and has improved my relationship with both food and exercise immensely by eliminating that transaction relationship between an exercise activity and calories. I no longer feel guilty for not doing exercise I don't like (looking at you cardio or circuit training) or fall into a treat/reward cycle. Sure, incentives do work for some people but I found myself not liking the dynamic after I more than one occasion opted to run the 3 miles to Chipotle to "earn" my guac and it felt like a slippery slope to truly disordered eating.

I see a number of posts mentioning needing motivation... screw motivation, it's a fleeting muse and unreliable. Consistency, habit, and structured discipline will outlast motivation. You don't need any "hacks", tips or tricks, you need an unsexy, ruthless execution of the basics, day-in and day-out.

- Be introspective about identifying your barriers and figure out how to remove or circumvent them. Make the preferred choice easy to make or at least inconvenient to avoid. These speed bumps and requisite solutions are going to look different for everyone; you have to find out what works best for you.
    - implement changes slowly and incrementally. Sustainability is king.
    - You're never going to be perfect so don't let one "bad" choice or meal having you falling off the proverbial wagon. Don't even bother with the wagon, there's no on/off plan, good/bad, behaving/misbehaving. Each positive choice and action contributes to your goal, keep accumulating those victories and do your best to minimize things that don't help you on your journey but don't allow yourself to linger on them when they happen. Over time if you have an 80% hit rate you'll see progress.

Steve, this post makes me want to sing and dance. I was 100% in the mindset that I needed motivation daily. Recently, I have just learned to put my head down and grind through it. There are for sure bumps in the road, but it is important to just move past and know they are not the things that define me. I recently started a victory journal. Each day I write down a success. Today it was looking amazing in a dress that I could not zip up 3 months ago. Last week it was a 2 lb loss. The scale is not our only victory and it is important to ride the high of every small victory!
  • Reader818
    Reader818 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi all!

I’m down .8 pounds this week! That’s .8 overall in...two months since I stopped breastfeeding. 😂 I keep losing and gaining the same damn pound, so this week my goal is to break that and just get below 165. I’m only 5’2” for reference.

I’ve been on one neighborhood walk this week. I hope to do 30 exercise mins on my Apple Watch for the next three days. (Apple Watch has a similar feature to active minutes on FitBit.)
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,217 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    scollis11 wrote: »
    The scale is not our only victory

I spent years being unhappy with my body despite being close to ideal weight and incorrectly assumed I just needed to keep losing weight. The lightbulb finally kicked on and I started following more traditional strength training in lieu of Beachbody "get-ripped-quick" programs and it was a game changer.

Left was 2014 at 166 lbs, running quite a bit and still feeling fat and doughy.
    Right was back in May at about 176 lbs, five years of lifting and consistently tracking what I eat to ensure I hit my protein, monitor calories, and keep my weight fairly consistent (moving average between 173-183 since 2017) *picture is during a successful 395lb deadlift attempt for an online lifting competition.

taja2obxntr5.jpeg

My body composition continues to improve too, going from ~18% down close to 12% currently.

ncc48y5yffps.png

It's not always sunshine & daisies, pretty or perfect, hell I had a day last week in which I ate 5 donuts, but I've found relative success trusting the process and understanding it's a lifelong marthon and not a sprint.

• Kita328
    Kita328 Posts: 370 Member
    Options

Motivation can be the spark that gets you going - but I agree with you, if you don't develop consistency and discipline you will ultimately fail. If you don't make whatever it is personally for you a habit (i.e. tracking calories, exercise) in order to reach your goal(s), you will constantly always need "motivation" to make you want to continue. It makes it so easy to quit on the days where the motivation is lacking. But if you have consistency it'll push you through. You'll definitely need it on the days where you still don't see any visible changes in the mirror, or when the scale doesn't move, or when the weight isn't coming off at the speed that you want!

Consistency IS KEY, but that is so hard. I know we aren't here for the easy road... so I get it. I do think hearing the word consistency makes me cringe. I suck at consistency with anything... the only thing I am consistent with is being inconsistent.