Help

Options
I don't know what my macros should be?

I'm on the default setting
Carbs 50
Fats 30
Protein 20

And in a calorie deficit of 1380 as I'm 5ft and need to lose weight but I'm hungry with these macros

Replies

• KrissDotCom
    KrissDotCom Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Experiment, satiety is individual
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    This^^

Do you exercise? Are you eating back the calories burned?
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I do 45% carbs
    25% fat
    35% protein

I would increase your fiber intake if you aren’t feeling full and that should help.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,083 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    The MFP default macro percents are fine for most people.

I sometimes worry about protein being a little lower than optimal at the default percent for women eating quite low calories, as you are . . . but you're quite a petite height so it's not bad in your case. (I personally went with 0.6-0.8g minimum protein per pound of goal bodyweight, which is approximately equivalent to 0.8-1g per pound of lean body mass for most people.)

Please don't worry that you have to hit the macro goals exactly every single day - that's nearly impossible. A litttle over or under is fine, especially if things average out close to your goal over time.

Protein and fat are the essential macronutrients, and many people hit their fat goal without paying much attention to it. If you're persistently under by a noticeable bit on either of those most of the time, it's worth gradually working at improving that, by shifting amongst foods you enjoy to get closer, but it's not an urgent crisis. Undernutrition, unless a deficiency is already diagnosed, isn't an on-off switch. Gradual improvement over a couple/few weeks will be fine.

I'd also point out that macros are pretty irrelevant to weight loss, especially in the short run. Macros are about nutrition and health, also good things! But weight is all about calories. In the longer run, undernutrition can indirectly hinder weight loss: It can cause fatigue (so make a person move less or less energetically, and reduce calorie burn), or it can increase appetite/cravings (so make it hard to stick to a sensible calorie goal).

Best wishes!

ETA: Many people find that increasing protein, or sometimes fats, within calorie goal is a help to fullness. Another thing that some people find helps is more volume, such as larger amounts of low-calorie veggies (fiber is part of it, but sheer volume seems to matter for some people). Additionally, some people find that increasing the simple foods like meats, fish, veggies, fruits, grains, nuts, etc., and reducing more-processed food products, helps them feel fuller. Satiation seems to be pretty indidual, so experimenting with what you eat and when you eat it may be helpful. It's also pretty common to have a couple of weeks of adaptation when first starting, i.e., feeling a little more hungry for the first couple of weeks, then being OK after settling into it.
  • age_is_just_a_number
    age_is_just_a_number Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I’d increase protein and reduce carbs.
  • Hanibanani2020
    Hanibanani2020 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I find that at least 65% fat 20% protein and whatever is left for carbs fits me perfectly. Anything else I’m starving no natter what I eat. Hunger isn’t an emergency but I’d rather feel full.