Couch to 5k question

Options
Dailly13
Dailly13 Posts: 190 Member
Hi, am on week 4 four of Couch to 5k. Height 4ft.11.5. weight 103lbs. 1200 calories per day. (Generally stick to around that give or take) Question is should I be adding ct5k to excercise diary. I don't have a Fitbit so don't know what to add. Or should I just not count it.

Replies

• harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Yes. You should be eating back your exercise calories. You shouldn't be netting less than 1200 calories a day.
  • PlentyofProtein00
    PlentyofProtein00 Posts: 3,665 Member
    Options
    That depends how active you are all day long. A couple miles is only about 4,000 steps. They say you should get in at least 10 000 steps daily.
  • Hanibanani2020
    Hanibanani2020 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    That depends how active you are all day long. A couple miles is only about 4,000 steps. They say you should get in at least 10 000 steps daily.

There’s lots of debate about that now considering the intensity of the steps taken and fitness and ability level of different people

• ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Dailly13 wrote: »
    Hi, am on week 4 four of Couch to 5k. Height 4ft.11.5. weight 103lbs. 1200 calories per day. (Generally stick to around that give or take) Question is should I be adding ct5k to excercise diary. I don't have a Fitbit so don't know what to add. Or should I just not count it.

If you run with your phone on you, then just download one of the tracking apps (strava, endomondo, rwgps, mapmyrun,...) to tell you how many miles you've run..

(if walking is still a large portion of the distance, then can estimate somewhere in between for the calories burned)

running ~ Net calorie burn per mile = 0.63 x weight (pounds)
    walking ~ Net calorie burn per mile = 0.30 x weight (pounds)
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    at 1200 calories, regularly missing possibly a few hundred exercise calories will take a toll..so definitely eat them back.

(ETA: your running performance and energy elsewhere will start to suffer significantly if you under-eat by that much)
  • Dailly13
    Dailly13 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your replies, I will look into an app on my phone to help me track. I guess I just thought that the type of excercise I'm referring to just wasn't intense enough to add. Although in saying that, it does feel quite intense when I'm doing it. 🙂