Another gain on the scales...

Options
I have been trying very hard over the last 6-8 weeks, going to the gym consistently twice to three times a week, eating completely different and cutting alcohol way back! And yet, I see another gain on the scales. I'm beaten down by that today. I was going to starve today and just not eat but I know that's no solution. Instead I've made a bowl of oats and water with protein powder mixed in. I'm honestly fighting the negativity today. The mental battle is harder than 50 push-ups! (Which I can't actually do yet haha)

Replies

• harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Can you please make your food diary public? Water weight might be masking your weight loss.

Can you share more about how much weight are you trying to lose, and how many calories a day are you eating?
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Also, depending on calorie intake and gym workout, maybe you are losing inches and gaining some muscle? What is your gym workout like?
  • Stephiecat016
    Stephiecat016 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    When I first started about 8 weeks ago I was 114.5kg, I logged a regular day that I was eating back then and it was in excess of 3000 calories, food and drink combined, which is huge. Since I started logging and changing my eating and drinking I generally have been hitting around 2000 calories, although the last 2 days have been a success with about 1400 to 1600. That's more where I would like to be. My workouts are a cardio circuit and strength class, doing body weight strength exercises and some weight exercises with dumbbells and kettle bells. Perhaps I have gained some muscle, I'm definitely not as wiped out after each class as I was when I started, but I was so excited to start seeing some loss and I did get 2.5kg off but the weigh in this morning reckons it's all straight back on there. I tried keto but it wasn't sustainable for me. My weight has been a battle all my life and the big challenge is my mentality, some days I talk myself out of going to the gym 50 times on the way there but still make it through the door. And that keeps me accountable with what I am eating cause I now know how much hard work it takes to burn those calories off. Today I was just disheartened to see 8 weeks of hard work amount to not many results. I've had my protein oats and feel full but not bloated which is good. I already have some homemade soup lined up for lunch. I booked in a beauty treatment this afternoon to try and lift my mood. Here's hoping if I have a good active weekend the results will show next week!!
  • Hanibanani2020
    Hanibanani2020 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    When I first started about 8 weeks ago I was 114.5kg, I logged a regular day that I was eating back then and it was in excess of 3000 calories, food and drink combined, which is huge. Since I started logging and changing my eating and drinking I generally have been hitting around 2000 calories, although the last 2 days have been a success with about 1400 to 1600. That's more where I would like to be. My workouts are a cardio circuit and strength class, doing body weight strength exercises and some weight exercises with dumbbells and kettle bells. Perhaps I have gained some muscle, I'm definitely not as wiped out after each class as I was when I started, but I was so excited to start seeing some loss and I did get 2.5kg off but the weigh in this morning reckons it's all straight back on there. I tried keto but it wasn't sustainable for me. My weight has been a battle all my life and the big challenge is my mentality, some days I talk myself out of going to the gym 50 times on the way there but still make it through the door. And that keeps me accountable with what I am eating cause I now know how much hard work it takes to burn those calories off. Today I was just disheartened to see 8 weeks of hard work amount to not many results. I've had my protein oats and feel full but not bloated which is good. I already have some homemade soup lined up for lunch. I booked in a beauty treatment this afternoon to try and lift my mood. Here's hoping if I have a good active weekend the results will show next week!!

What does mfp say your calories should be and what rate of loss did you put in? Height? So many variables as to why the scale isn’t moving.
  • harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options

It might be beneficial to make an appointment with your doctor. They can do a blood work up, and check things like your thyroid.
  • Stephiecat016
    Options
    I put in that I'd like to lose 0.5kg a week so eating about 1800 calories a day, I am 168cm tall so quite overweight for my height. I figured half a kilo a week would be sustainable. I've had my thyroid checked in the last 6 months and it's always either a bit up or down each time I go but never anything to medicate for. My family has a history of hashimotos so they monitor it every 6 months to make sure it's not done anything crazy.

• 1BlueAurora
    1BlueAurora Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Get out your tape measure and record your bust, waist and hip measurements now. Next month, do the same. You might start seeing changes in your body even when the scale isn't moving as quickly as you'd like.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    I’m actually just curious about where in the world you live that gyms have been open for the last 6-8 weeks!
  • Stephiecat016
    Options
    I live in Australia, our gyms closed for a few months earlier this year but many have opened up again in certain states with capacity restrictions and certain facilities like showers not yet available. The state I am in is very lucky, we have no active cases and our borders are shut so fingers crossed it stays away from us!
  • xxzenabxx
    xxzenabxx Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I put in that I'd like to lose 0.5kg a week so eating about 1800 calories a day, I am 168cm tall so quite overweight for my height. I figured half a kilo a week would be sustainable. I've had my thyroid checked in the last 6 months and it's always either a bit up or down each time I go but never anything to medicate for. My family has a history of hashimotos so they monitor it every 6 months to make sure it's not done anything crazy.

I think it’s your thyroid. There’s a woman on here with thyroid issues and she did a whole post about it and apparently the first 2-3 months you’re body will hold onto water weight and then suddenly it will whoosh. I wouldn’t focus on the scale right now then. So don’t worry, you are losing weight but it’s just not showing on the scale yet. I know how mentally damaging the scale can be so either ignore it or start using a weight trending app. Also have you lost any inches?
  • FrecklePatch
    FrecklePatch Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I gain every other day, it seems. Then I lose. Then back up. Then down more. It's the trend that matters. As long as I'm going down overall.