Eliminating certain foods

2»

Replies

• ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    ritzvin wrote: »
    I definitely have some foods that need to be bought in single servings only and/or not brought home. I'll have an ice cream cone while out riding (but don't have any at home)(FYI- I have about 130 local-ish ice cream stands tagged in google maps for ease of this). The quick-riding/running fuel items (Mini Clif Bars and fruit snacks) and post-ride snacks (for myself and to share in the parking lot after the ride..most commonly salt & vinegar pork rinds) reside in the car (they would have to be taken down to it anyway if I kept most upstairs). Stuff I can't get in single servings, I'll sometimes buy for potlucks/post-ride/run-group snacks/dance event snack table. Some other stuff I only eat when at a pub with the group after the group run/ride.

Oh, yeah - that potluck/group one is a good one. (I forgot about it because it's been so long since pre-corona potlucks . . . . :neutral: ).

I've done that with salted macadamia nuts, or a fancied-up focaccia bread (with sun-dried tomatoes, feta, olive oil :yum: ) that a local artisan baker makes or some richer home-made foods that either don't freeze well or that I'd struggle to moderate (filo cheese pie with rosemary, for one, and there's this amazing fresh raspberry marzipan cake . . . !).

Must stop thinking about yummy homemade potluck-only foods. Must stop thinking about yummy homemade potluck-only foods. :grimace:

me too. One of mine when time allows was crackers topped with baked brie and raspberry preserves/jam. (also a large portion of the very evil must-have-immense-self-control-to-not-impulse-shop-all-the-tasty-gourmet-yet-monetarily-cheap-foodstuffs Aldi's store (coincidentally, where I buy the fore-mentioned brie and raspberry jam - my goto store for potluck purchases).
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,742 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I definitely have some foods that need to be bought in single servings only and/or not brought home. I'll have an ice cream cone while out riding (but don't have any at home)(FYI- I have about 130 local-ish ice cream stands tagged in google maps for ease of this). The quick-riding/running fuel items (Mini Clif Bars and fruit snacks) and post-ride snacks (for myself and to share in the parking lot after the ride..most commonly salt & vinegar pork rinds) reside in the car (they would have to be taken down to it anyway if I kept most upstairs). Stuff I can't get in single servings, I'll sometimes buy for potlucks/post-ride/run-group snacks/dance event snack table. Some other stuff I only eat when at a pub with the group after the group run/ride.

Oh, yeah - that potluck/group one is a good one. (I forgot about it because it's been so long since pre-corona potlucks . . . . :neutral: ).

I've done that with salted macadamia nuts, or a fancied-up focaccia bread (with sun-dried tomatoes, feta, olive oil :yum: ) that a local artisan baker makes or some richer home-made foods that either don't freeze well or that I'd struggle to moderate (filo cheese pie with rosemary, for one, and there's this amazing fresh raspberry marzipan cake . . . !).

Must stop thinking about yummy homemade potluck-only foods. Must stop thinking about yummy homemade potluck-only foods. :grimace:

me too. One of mine when time allows was crackers topped with baked brie and raspberry preserves/jam. (also a large portion of the very evil must-have-immense-self-control-to-not-impulse-shop-all-the-tasty-gourmet-yet-monetarily-cheap-foodstuffs Aldi's store (coincidentally, where I buy the fore-mentioned brie and raspberry jam - my goto store for potluck purchases).

Happily, brie is a food it turns out I *can* moderate, one delicious ounce per day, when I have it in the house. So luxurious! (Around 100 calories, 5g protein, 9g fat - and fat is the one I tend to be short on, if any. Yeah, it's sat fat. Lots of my other fat is MUFA/PUFA, so I'm not deeply worried.)

But I hear you. I'm making a mental note about that appetizer, since it sound pretty easy. So many potluck treats are soooo effort intensive (I guess I should appreciate the tiny calore burn from the prep? ;) ).
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    I think it might be worth asking yourself why the food not being in the house is a solution to the problem. What is to keep you from having a craving and then leaving the house to go buy the food? If the same craving must be satisfied if the food is in your home why is it optional to satisfy it if the food has to be procured?

How about this scenario... you have an intense craving and the food is in the house so you fix a plate. You take 3 bites and it is the best that you believe you have ever had. Suddenly there is someone at the door. It is someone very close to you in emotional distress. Do you tell this person to press pause on their emotional needs while you finish the plate of food?

The lie of cravings in the moment is that they must be satisfied. The reality is we know there are times that it is not possible and nothing bad happens. There are times we decide that because the food is not readily available that getting it is more trouble than it is worth. Why is that? Because the pleasure of food never lasts. The only way to get more is to take another bite and then experience the brief moment of pleasure before another bite is needed. No matter what you are eating it won't take long before the food is gone so even if you are craving a large pizza it will likely take more time to go get it than you will spend eating it. Food cravings can be easily overridden by the craving to stay home in your PJs after a long day.

The other lie of cravings is that it is the cravings that compels us. It is the habit of satisfying craving that is hard to shake. The easier it is to satisfy the more our auto-pilot wants to just do it. Breaking out of auto-pilot is unpleasant and it is compounded by denying the (brief) pleasure of food.

That is not to say that while you come to terms with awareness and practicing some CBT it may be best to keep the food only you eat and crave out of the house. It is ALWAYS a good idea to keep food you have an impulse to eat out of sight. You do not ever want to be advertising to yourself. Advertise a bowl of fruit not a bowl of candy.