Recipes for Folks Who Don't Like Vegetables But Need Them!

adreyer1932
adreyer1932 Posts: 11 Member
Does anyone have any recipes that they can share for those of us who never grew up to like veggies? I want to eat them but I have only found a hand full of ways that I enjoy them.

Replies

• swirlybee
    swirlybee Posts: 497 Member
    What are the ways you like them?

You can try roasting veggies. Coat the veg with a little bit of oil and then sprinkling them with bbq rub or whatever spice mix you like then roasting them in the oven or grill or air fryer.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,590 Member
    Not exactly diet friendly, but who could resist vegetable tempura?
    https://norecipes.com/kakiage-recipe/
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 978 Member
    Grate them and mix in to a bolognese or chilli or curry. You probably won't even realise they're there.
  • Tausi
    Tausi Posts: 35 Member
    Spicy curries! I don’t like cauliflower but in a hot coconut curry I can eat it.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    acpgee wrote: »
    Not exactly diet friendly, but who could resist vegetable tempura?
    https://norecipes.com/kakiage-recipe/

I know that was rhetorical but me! Batter, any sort of deep fried batter turns my stomach! 😂

But it’s actually a great idea, especially with a variety of dipping sauces.

Also, spiralised and used to boost pasta volume, cooked (roasted, sautéed or just steamed and blitzed into purées or sauce.

Some of it will depend if it’s flavour or texture that you find unpalatable, I guess.

Flavour - add herbs and/or spices to ‘mask’ and transform to a flavour profile you like.

Texture - as above, purées, sauces, soups even houmus.

As already mentioned, grated or very finely chopped and cooked into chilli, bolognese etc. Or mixed through rice with spices, if it’s chopped fine enough you may find that’s a good way to get in a variety of different veg and barely notice you’re eating it!
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    I second oven roasting. They become sweeter preparing this way. How about salads? Do you like any raw veggies?
  • emmies_123
    emmies_123 Posts: 513 Member
    I am not a natural veggie person either. I sneak them in via:

-Hide a serving in breakfast casserole, such as spinach. Yes you see it, but you don't taste it
    -snack on raw carrots on the drive home. My commute is an hour, and if it is all i have it is what I will eat
    -Roast in oven with some oil and whatever spices I feel like.
    -Started eating the corn/peas/carrots in stir fry when i have it, instead of picking out =P
    -Have veggie pasta, or lentil pasta. Can get a good chunk of fiber and protein this way!

Another thing I do is I eat the dinner veggies first, when I'm hungriest. That way i eat them faster and can move on to savor the more enjoyable part of the meal. Cheap trick? yes. Does it work for me? Yes

Personal favorite recipe: Parmesan Roasted Green Beans
    https://cleanfoodcrush.com/clean-eating-parmesan-roasted-green-beans/
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    You can also hide some veggies in things like meat loaf. They add lots of moisture to it. I particularly like doing a whole bunch of parsley and the egg for a meatloaf in the food processor. The resulting green slurry really disappears into it when its cooked and doesn't change the color as much as you expect. It also doesn't change the flavor much if at all.

Start eating a salad as a first course as you would at a restaurant. It both gets those veggies in you and helps make you not want to scarf so much food for supper. Remember that the number of calories is dressing is something you can count so don't worry about always eating light dressings. Just make sure you allow for the number of calories. It's okay to eat a couple hundred calories of Caesar dressing on 20 calories of romaine if you log it.

I tend to put either a tablespoon of good parmesan (parmigiano reggiano) and/or a tablespoon of jarred pesto on veggies. Both add a lot of flavor -- and, again, who cares if there are more calories in what you put on the veggies than the veggies themselves -- as long as you've counted them and are at a deficit, go for it.
  • deekneez
    deekneez Posts: 1 Member
    I used to HATE asparagus. But now it is my fave veggie! Snap off the ends and lay on baking tray. Sprinkle with olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and parmesan cheese. Bake for 10 to 15 min @ 400° . I like mine a little crispy so ill cook a little longer. Enjoy!