What have you done today to be nice to yourself?

Options
One of the most common themes I see on this forum is people putting on weight because they put themselves last. It's not that they want to overeat or eat 'bad' food, they just don't treat their health as a priority because they don't see themselves as a priority.

So, my question to you, is what have you done today to be nice to yourself? Something that doesn't involve food. I think it would be good to share ideas for how we can look after ourselves that don't involve food as a reward, and to remind ourselves to make time to be kind to ourselves. Because, you know what? We all deserve that.

I'll start.

Today, I scheduled a long lunch (I'm working from home) and took a bubblebath. Just because I could. :)

Replies

• AngelOfMusic1028
    AngelOfMusic1028 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I actually don't really know how to be kind to myself lol. The best thing I've done so far is noticed little changes in my body (not as much pain from my knee injury, pants starting to get looser, etc) but those little changes do make me very happy. Means that I'm headed in the right direction and as a perfectionist, makes me think that I can do this and get down to my weight goal no matter how long it takes.
  • thelastnightingale
    thelastnightingale Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    @NovusDies I love that way of thinking and trying to make life easier for Future You. :)

@AngelOfMusic1028 Now is as good a time to start being kind to yourself as any! The other day I caught my reflection in the mirror, paused, preened and thought to myself that I looked so much healthier than a few months ago. Complimenting yourself (even if it's just in your head) definitely counts. :)
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    I actually don't really know how to be kind to myself lol. The best thing I've done so far is noticed little changes in my body (not as much pain from my knee injury, pants starting to get looser, etc) but those little changes do make me very happy. Means that I'm headed in the right direction and as a perfectionist, makes me think that I can do this and get down to my weight goal no matter how long it takes.

You just have to get the ball rolling.

Find something that causes you grief and then tell yourself that part of your weight loss is resolving it or keeping it resolved.

Mine was my hair length. I hate it when my hair get too long. In the past I would routinely put off getting it cut for 3 or more additional weeks. It added to my misery.

I decided when I started losing weight that I would get it cut in set intervals to make sure it was never longer than I liked. I have not broken that promise to myself.

The happier we are the easier life in a calorie deficit is to navigate. The good things and bad things are both cumulative so we need to put as much in the good column as we can.
  • Crimson21
    Crimson21 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Went to the chiropractor for a much needed adjustment, layer out on the deck this morning before it got too hot (and before baby woke up), and later tonight I’m going out for supper with a friend (social distancing still in place).
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    Went for a morning ride on the bike - this is my 'me' time and helps get me prepared for the day.
  • ladyzherra
    ladyzherra Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love this thread!

So many posts feature members getting down on themselves or panicking because something is not perfect. Highlighting the good is so important, especially if it involves treating yourself right.

I am always doing things to make me feel good and to build a loving relationship with myself.
  • thelastnightingale
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    The happier we are the easier life in a calorie deficit is to navigate. The good things and bad things are both cumulative so we need to put as much in the good column as we can.

Exactly!
    Crimson21 wrote: »
    Went to the chiropractor for a much needed adjustment, layer out on the deck this morning before it got too hot (and before baby woke up), and later tonight I’m going out for supper with a friend (social distancing still in place).

Ooh, I'm jealous. My treat to myself used to be getting a massage regularly, but it's a bit far for me to travel at the moment and my back misses my massage therapist hugely! Hope you enjoy your time with your friend. :)
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    Went for a morning ride on the bike - this is my 'me' time and helps get me prepared for the day.

I think that's really inspirational you've turned exercise into something so positive.
    ladyzherra wrote: »
    I am always doing things to make me feel good and to build a loving relationship with myself.

Do share some examples if you can. I think we all need reminding sometimes of the little things we can do to make ourselves feel happier, and to value ourselves. Tomorrow I am going to have either a lie in or an afternoon nap. Luxury. :)
  • Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I put a nice new sample of day cream on my face. It’s expensive but feels and smells so good I may end up buying it. I did 50 minutes of yoga with Adriene, focused on the lower back. Now I’m laying back on my peanut massage ball and my back feels happy.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,584 Member
    Options
    Worked out, then went outside and spent time laying down on the lawn staring at the sky thinking. I was worn out from reading labels at the grocery store and was going to mope to bed when someone reminded me of taking an Epsom salt bath. I tried to relax but my cat kept splashing me in the face so it was funny more than anything, got my mind off not feeling good.
  • summeroflove99
    summeroflove99 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    I count learning to be nicer to myself as one of the most important differences in getting so much weight off.

It may not sound like it but I was nice to myself by getting 3 of my evening chores done early this morning. I find it to be an incredible difference in my day when I have less things "hanging over my head." When I am doing something like this I will say to myself "future me will appreciate this." and when I am future me I thank past me for getting it done. I know. It sounds a bit nuts but it is the same concept I use in my weight loss and fitness approach. I want to hand tomorrow me a body in slightly better shape than yesterday me gave me and let him take it from there.

I totally do this too in my life! It helps such a lot with motivation and getting stuff done in general when I otherwise can’t be arsed 😊
  • thelastnightingale
    Options
    I made time to listen to a friend today. We're all going through different stresses in 2020 - health, work, relationships - but they're all valid stresses, and the way we'll get through this is by leaning on each other. Making time to nurture my friendships is my something nice. I feel better for taking my turn to be the person listening, as opposed to the person being listened to. And hopefully my friend feels better too.

Not seeing people on a regular basis during the pandemic makes it difficult to remember to check in with everyone, but taking the time to support others and be supported in turn is so important.
  • unforgettable2010
    unforgettable2010 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I walked 5 miles. About to go to the gym. Its my happy place. lol
  • thelastnightingale
    Options
    Today I took a break and did some meditation. Meditation per se isn't clicking for me, but it forces me to take some quiet time without loads of people calling me at the same time, and that definitely is doing me some good.
  • Curvybaja55
    Curvybaja55 Posts: 114 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Today I did my early morning walk before it gets too hot, came home took a shower and relaxing listening to music.I have the house for myself husband and daughter both at work.😀😀. Was going to do laundry but husband can do that on his off day. Today no cleaning,cooking a relaxing day work tomorrow😂
  • RuthlessRoxy
    RuthlessRoxy Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I am going to make myself some hot tea tonight after work, curl up and watch a movie.
  • silverpl2525
    silverpl2525 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I video-chatted with two friends, to keep up the friendship despite living far from them. I always underestimate the power of a good social support network.