Microwave popcorn

Options
Anybody knows good popcorn? I am looking for something as close to orville smarp pop as possible avialable in UK. Thanks. zyyuxj5b0f0i.jpeg

Replies

• adusia992
    adusia992 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Yeah I want microwavable ones. Can’t find smart pop in UK at all. There are some on amazon but for £30! 😮 🙊
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    For microwave popcorn, I eat Newman's. But I prefer popcorn kernels popped on the stove in a pan with oil. For that, I don't notice much of a difference in Jolly Time vs Orville R kernels, except for price.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    In the U.K. the main brand you’ll find is Butterkist for microwaveable popcorn.

Comes in boxes with 3 sachets per box, comes in Salted, Sweet and Sweet’N’Salty. And apparently in Butter but I’ve never seen that one!

I have seen a couple of other brands - Eazypop and StopnPop I think, but Butterkist is far and away the most popular.
  • evilish
    evilish Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    When I was living in the UK, I would buy Propercorn Salted microwave popcorn at Tesco. I loved that stuff.
  • Jacq_qui
    Jacq_qui Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Absolutely wouldn't eat microwavable popcorn - the chemicals used in the bag are absolutely vile and will be banned in the next decade or so. (Because it takes that long to get all the evidence to force governments to act!)

We have a popcorn maker, it makes it fresh in a few minutes. Think I paid £15 for it! A bag of kernels is cheap and they seem to last forever :)
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    Microwave popcorn section of stores around me are pretty much empty lately. Popping kernels in an air popper works well.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,014 Member
    Options
    I like microwave popcorn, nice treat now and then.

Not in any way bothered about chemicals in the bag.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,576 Member
    Options
    Hot air popper. Just aim the chute into a large cooking pot, because otherwise it shoots out all over if you aim into a rounded bowl. (Years of experience with various models.)

No oil required and pops in a couple of minutes.
  • adusia992
    Options
    MeganD1704 wrote: »
    If you just buy plain old popcorn kernels you can microwave them :)
    I take two brown paper lunch bags, 1 inside the other, 1/2c of kernels. fold down the tops kind of in an accordion to prevent them spilling out everywhere. Place upright in microwave and pop for 4-5 mins dependent on your microwave (you can tell by what is/isnt popping.

Take out and place in a bowl and melt butter or add toppings as desired.

You can also buy an actual popper that works in the microwave like the above instead of the bags. They sell them on amazon :) I havent opted for it yet as I havent gone through enough brown bags, but next time I will. It works about to 15 cents a popped bag with the brown bag method.

Actually this is a great idea, but I might get the hot air popper. Thanks for the advise.
  • adusia992
    Options
    In the U.K. the main brand you’ll find is Butterkist for microwaveable popcorn.

Comes in boxes with 3 sachets per box, comes in Salted, Sweet and Sweet’N’Salty. And apparently in Butter but I’ve never seen that one!

I have seen a couple of other brands - Eazypop and StopnPop I think, but Butterkist is far and away the most popular.

Yeah this is what I have but it has a lot of fat per 100g. :s
  • tnh2o
    tnh2o Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I pop regular popcorn in the microwave using a pyrex bowl with a plate on top. I have to be careful because it gets really hot. Commercial microwave popcorn has a weird, chemical taste to me
  • LuckysGurl
    LuckysGurl Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm another one that goes the 'kernels in a brown paper lunch sack' route. Easy peasy and you have complete control over the ingredients and nutrition!
  • Geneveremfp
    Geneveremfp Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Hot air popper. Just aim the chute into a large cooking pot, because otherwise it shoots out all over if you aim into a rounded bowl. (Years of experience with various models.)

No oil required and pops in a couple of minutes.

We've got a duck shaped one and it's fab. You can use those 1cal spray oils (butter flavour is best) and some toppings too if you want to add to it