I'm big....35 stone (490 pounds)

Options
Hello....only me

Standing 6ft 2in (187cm) and 35 stone (490 pounds). You can imagine my body, but anyway. I'm working not bed or housebound. I do get out of breathe, which is understandable. What sort of exercise would you recommended. I do walk but need to do more of it, I know. Just some helpful advice would be great.

Thanks
Wayne

Replies

• whitevanman5
    whitevanman5 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Here are my first and second year weight loss anniversary threads. They may contain some helpful information for you.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10731694/after-a-year-over-150lbs-lost-learned-a-few-things/p1

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10791606/2-years-over-200-pounds-lost-lessons-learned-and-life-changed

I would recommend exercise that is very low impact. Walking might be fine as long as you stay off hills and stairs or wear knee support.

I would concentrate more on increasing your daily movement. A good idea might be to get a fitness tracker and then just try to add more steps. Look at starting to restructure your life in a less efficient manner. One of my favorite easy to do things was to get a smaller cup for coffee or liquid. This simple act forced me to get up a little more often but the moment I started thinking this way and embracing it, it started a chain of new thoughts and ideas.

It should not be long for you to lose your first 50 pounds but even the first 25 will start to make things easier. Don't jump too far ahead of where you need to be with the exercise. If you elect to do a punishing amount now it will potentially hurt you more than it helps you. Remember to eat for weight loss and exercise for fitness. When I was full weight and due to the weird way my fat accumulated on my body I was nearly disabled. I lost my first 80 pounds with no formal exercise. With so much weight gone now I am up at 4:30am everyday and I put in about 2 hours of exercise. If I had tried that too early I would have probably already needed knee replacements.

WoW....First of all well done on your weight loss journey....brilliant...
    And thank you for the advice and input, I will be looking at your threads to get some helpful tips.....The way you are talking you know were I'm coming from. Being at large man, you can easy damage your body and joints doing high impact exercise...Thanks many many thanks ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Here are my first and second year weight loss anniversary threads. They may contain some helpful information for you.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10731694/after-a-year-over-150lbs-lost-learned-a-few-things/p1

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10791606/2-years-over-200-pounds-lost-lessons-learned-and-life-changed

I would recommend exercise that is very low impact. Walking might be fine as long as you stay off hills and stairs or wear knee support.

I would concentrate more on increasing your daily movement. A good idea might be to get a fitness tracker and then just try to add more steps. Look at starting to restructure your life in a less efficient manner. One of my favorite easy to do things was to get a smaller cup for coffee or liquid. This simple act forced me to get up a little more often but the moment I started thinking this way and embracing it, it started a chain of new thoughts and ideas.

It should not be long for you to lose your first 50 pounds but even the first 25 will start to make things easier. Don't jump too far ahead of where you need to be with the exercise. If you elect to do a punishing amount now it will potentially hurt you more than it helps you. Remember to eat for weight loss and exercise for fitness. When I was full weight and due to the weird way my fat accumulated on my body I was nearly disabled. I lost my first 80 pounds with no formal exercise. With so much weight gone now I am up at 4:30am everyday and I put in about 2 hours of exercise. If I had tried that too early I would have probably already needed knee replacements.

WoW....First of all well done on your weight loss journey....brilliant...
    And thank you for the advice and input, I will be looking at your threads to get some helpful tips.....The way you are talking you know were I'm coming from. Being at large man, you can easy damage your body and joints doing high impact exercise...Thanks many many thanks ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

A lot of my posts are concentrated in the MFP Larger Losers group. It is for people who are starting or originally started with 75 or more pounds to lose. It is also very specifically for people who wish to lose their weight in a sensible and sustainable fashion. Here is the link if you want to join:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/133315-larger-losers

LL is not about methodology because you can lose weight with anything that creates a deficit. It is really more about changing how we mentally approach weight loss. Weight loss is needful but so is losing the habits and mindset of the person who gained it. If you don't then you may only be taking a vacation from your weight instead of losing it and keeping it off for forever.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,660 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Protect joints right now.

Join LL

Lose sensibly and with a view of setting up the future; with a sense of wonderment and exploration, not hate, distaste, and self punishment!