Weights - how many x per week whole body?

Options
2»

Replies

• LockdownLoser23
    LockdownLoser23 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Kel_20_20 wrote: »
    I'd personally give it a try. See how you cope - no perfect way, just the way that suits you. Same as some people are better in the morning and some the eve. Go for it and see if it feels good :)

Also, I am so pooped by the time I get done with cardio, I don’t have energy to do weights. 😑

Switch it round. I do a warm up like rowing or skipping and then go to the weights and then cardio till I'm screwed. Someone will probably say that is wrong, but works for me :p
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Hey guys,

I’m currently doing cardio & using dumbbells to work different muscle groups on different days, but wondering if I need to bump up the frequency of my strength training? For example, Monday I do biceps/triceps, Tues chest/back, Wed shoulders, Thurs legs. So each muscle group is only getting worked once a week. Would I be better off working the whole body 3x a week? I’m thinking what I’m doing now is not enough. Thoughts?
    It will depend on the load in your program. Generally speaking if you are progressing on once a week, there is nothing wrong with that frequency.

That being said there is nothing wrong with three exposures as long as progress is made and recovery isn't a issue.

There is no set frequency everybody must do. It is highly individualized. If progress is stalled, increasing frequency and/or other variables might help. Bumping up frequency in this cases is reasonable depending on load.

Thanks! Guess I should have added that I have a lot I want to lose, so I know cardio is good to burn fat. But so is strength training lol. I feel so flabby, so that’s why I’m thinking I need more weights! Haha 😊
    Not to dismiss anyone performing cardio as useful but cardio doesn't burn fat, it burns calories. A calorie deficit burns fat.

• Justin_7272
    Justin_7272 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Hey guys,

I’m currently doing cardio & using dumbbells to work different muscle groups on different days, but wondering if I need to bump up the frequency of my strength training? For example, Monday I do biceps/triceps, Tues chest/back, Wed shoulders, Thurs legs. So each muscle group is only getting worked once a week. Would I be better off working the whole body 3x a week? I’m thinking what I’m doing now is not enough.

Thoughts?

I think any change is good. I change my workouts every 12 weeks. The order, the exercises, etc.. Right now Im doing 5 days a week M-F. Sometimes a Sat for any extra needed work.
    M- Legs
    T- Chest
    W- Back
    Th- Shoulders
    F- Arms

After I hit 12 weeks I plan on switching things up and doing 2 Back days. 1 for vertical movements and 1 for horizontal movements.
    Ultimately the key is to keep the body guessing. You do a program long enough to achieve progression, but then you switch before the body can adapt. But that’s just my 2 cents. lol

Yes, I agree...changing it up is always good! Thank you! 😊

To play devil's advocate, if you are in a good program you shouldn't change until you've exhausted the program (which can take quite a while). Squirreling around because you feel like mixing it up might make you feel better mentally (and that's totally understandable), but most would advise to find a program that works for you and stick to it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Hey guys,

I’m currently doing cardio & using dumbbells to work different muscle groups on different days, but wondering if I need to bump up the frequency of my strength training? For example, Monday I do biceps/triceps, Tues chest/back, Wed shoulders, Thurs legs. So each muscle group is only getting worked once a week. Would I be better off working the whole body 3x a week? I’m thinking what I’m doing now is not enough.

Thoughts?

Your results would be better doing a full body 3x per week because you're hitting everything 3x per week...if you're doing body part splits, you'd want to increase the number of days you are lifting. People who do body part splits typically lift 5-6 days per week.

For most people, outside of those with more advanced lifting goals such as body building or power lifting, etc, a full body program 2-3x per week is optimal in regards to efficiency as well as results provided the programming is good...just doing your own thing will likely result in more spinning of the wheels vs following a well structured program.