Weights - how many x per week whole body?

Options
Hey guys,

I’m currently doing cardio & using dumbbells to work different muscle groups on different days, but wondering if I need to bump up the frequency of my strength training? For example, Monday I do biceps/triceps, Tues chest/back, Wed shoulders, Thurs legs. So each muscle group is only getting worked once a week. Would I be better off working the whole body 3x a week? I’m thinking what I’m doing now is not enough.

Thoughts?

Replies

• LockdownLoser23
    LockdownLoser23 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I'd personally give it a try. See how you cope - no perfect way, just the way that suits you. Same as some people are better in the morning and some the eve. Go for it and see if it feels good :)
  • Kel_20_20
    Kel_20_20 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'd personally give it a try. See how you cope - no perfect way, just the way that suits you. Same as some people are better in the morning and some the eve. Go for it and see if it feels good :)

Thanks! Guess I should have added that I have a lot I want to lose, so I know cardio is good to burn fat. But so is strength training lol. I feel so flabby, so that’s why I’m thinking I need more weights! Haha 😊
  • Kel_20_20
    Options

Also, I am so pooped by the time I get done with cardio, I don’t have energy to do weights. 😑
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I personally love 3x per week full body because I don't have a lot of time and I get really bored working upper body by itself. Plus I love to work lower body at least 3x per week. Some people prefer to focus on a few muscle groups at a time but work them twice a week (upper/lower splits etc). Try it out and see if it suits you. I would just recommend you follow a program for best results.
  • Kel_20_20
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I personally love 3x per week full body because I don't have a lot of time and I get really bored working upper body by itself. Plus I love to work lower body at least 3x per week. Some people prefer to focus on a few muscle groups at a time but work them twice a week (upper/lower splits etc). Try it out and see if it suits you. I would just recommend you follow a program for best results.

Thank you! I would love to work my lower body 3x per week because it is my problem area. My lower half doesn’t match the rest of my body...and my legs are so weak! 👍🏼
  • dsc84
    dsc84 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I personally prefer whole body to isolation. I just feel like I get a better workout, and for me it reduces soreness, and results in me not being as willing to skip a day on occasion.

It's up to you and how your body reacts. If Isolation isn't doing it for you give whole body a try. I would suggest compound lifts (Squats, Deadlifts, etc.) that require multiple muscle groups to work at the same time, with a few isolation moves (Curls, skull crushers, etc.) to round out the workout.

I feel like when I do full body I do better in general, but it is just a matter of what works/gives you the best results. :smile:
  • unforgettable2010
    unforgettable2010 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Kel_20_20 wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I’m currently doing cardio & using dumbbells to work different muscle groups on different days, but wondering if I need to bump up the frequency of my strength training? For example, Monday I do biceps/triceps, Tues chest/back, Wed shoulders, Thurs legs. So each muscle group is only getting worked once a week. Would I be better off working the whole body 3x a week? I’m thinking what I’m doing now is not enough.

Thoughts?

I think any change is good. I change my workouts every 12 weeks. The order, the exercises, etc.. Right now Im doing 5 days a week M-F. Sometimes a Sat for any extra needed work.
    M- Legs
    T- Chest
    W- Back
    Th- Shoulders
    F- Arms

After I hit 12 weeks I plan on switching things up and doing 2 Back days. 1 for vertical movements and 1 for horizontal movements.
    Ultimately the key is to keep the body guessing. You do a program long enough to achieve progression, but then you switch before the body can adapt. But that’s just my 2 cents. lol
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I use three exercises as daily maintenance. They are full body.

Pushups - with perfect form no chicken wings or sagging butts...
    Squats - different variation each day (sumo, Romanian, dumbbell Squat, Goblet and now Zercher)
    Stability ball pullovers

A couple sets of each takes no more than 15 min in the afternoon and 15 min in the evening.

Cardio and focus Muscle Group work alternate each other and are done in addition to the maintenance.
  • Kel_20_20
    Options
    dsc84 wrote: »
    I personally prefer whole body to isolation. I just feel like I get a better workout, and for me it reduces soreness, and results in me not being as willing to skip a day on occasion.

It's up to you and how your body reacts. If Isolation isn't doing it for you give whole body a try. I would suggest compound lifts (Squats, Deadlifts, etc.) that require multiple muscle groups to work at the same time, with a few isolation moves (Curls, skull crushers, etc.) to round out the workout.

I feel like when I do full body I do better in general, but it is just a matter of what works/gives you the best results. :smile:

Great advice, thank you! I’m doubting how hard I’m working my muscles because I don’t feel sore like I thought I would. Last week I used “booty bands” at the heaviest resistance & my legs were sore for a week...so maybe I need to lift heavier too. I like feeling sore - that’s how I know it worked 😂
  • Kel_20_20
    Options
    Kel_20_20 wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Thoughts?

I think any change is good. I change my workouts every 12 weeks. The order, the exercises, etc.. Right now Im doing 5 days a week M-F. Sometimes a Sat for any extra needed work.
    M- Legs
    T- Chest
    W- Back
    Th- Shoulders
    F- Arms

After I hit 12 weeks I plan on switching things up and doing 2 Back days. 1 for vertical movements and 1 for horizontal movements.
    Ultimately the key is to keep the body guessing. You do a program long enough to achieve progression, but then you switch before the body can adapt. But that’s just my 2 cents. lol

Yes, I agree...changing it up is always good! Thank you! 😊
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    its all according to sets and experience levels. If you are new, 8-12 sets per body part per week is a good start. From what I have read, it seems to be a sweet spot. Start with 3 rir and either add weights or reps. When you stop responding, either go to 2 rir or increase weights. Then 1 rir or add weights. Then deload and start building again. You may have to add more sets as you advance, but for a beginning lifter, I would think that would be enough. Auxiliary muscles can handle a little more load vs primary muscle groups. Devide reps between day and you have how many sets to do. JMHO
  • Maademperor
    Maademperor Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    in my experience the frequency and intensity of your weight training will scale pretty quickly with your progression. I used to do single muscle groups every day like that then I tried twice a day on the same muscle groups (high reps/low weight in the morning and then heavier weight in the evening), now I'm happy with twice a week each muscle group. I'd also say consider doing the cardio after your strength training too (unless you are ultimately trying to train to do marathons and stuff)...
  • Philippe74005327
    Philippe74005327 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Using kettlebells (12 & 16 Kg) routine 3-5 times a week at home - whole body cardio & strength all in one go. Routines inspired from YouTube videos etc.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I like 3x full body. It's a great way to make sure you are progressing. Right now, my program is more like this:
    M-full body
    T-glutes and abs
    W-upper
    Th-legs and abs
    F-arms and shoulders
    S-cardio
    So I feel sometimes something doesn't get enough work(like chest) and so I'll add in some pushups/chest press on my own. I miss my old full body routine, but I don't have access to the heavy weights.
  • Kel_20_20
    Options
    Thanks guys! 😊
  • Soon2BSuper
    Soon2BSuper Posts: 1,767 Member
    Options
    You've gotten lots of answers already and as you can see there is no right/wrong answer. Try some new things and see what works for you.

Strength Training will boost your metabolism in the long term more than cardio will so do your strength sets first and then do your cardio second.

Overall, "weight loss" is 90% Nutrition and Muscle Gain is 90% training. They're also generally opposite programs so you swap back and forth over time, changing your body gradually.

There's lots you can do with just body weight even that you can throw in as extra if you find you're not doing enough. I like the "40-30-20-10" Workout that takes 5 mins on days I'm pressed for time but want to do SOMETHING.

40 Squats
    30 Pushups
    20 Hanging Leg Raises
    10 Pullups.

You just worked your whole body! :)

Good luck!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    For where you're at in your journey, I suggest whole body 2-3x per week. I'd do light cardio on those days, like a walk, and maybe a little more cardio on the other days. I started strength training day 1 of 150 lb weight loss. I worked with a trainer twice a week for weights. It was very basic because I had zero ability when I started. We just gradually increased the weight and difficultly of the exercises over time.
    My cardio was mostly walking and some elliptical. When you get to goal, you'll be glad you did the strength training. I feel that the split programs with a different body part each day is best for people looking to do heavier lifting or have specific appearance goals.
  • RockingWithLJ
    RockingWithLJ Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I do all that you mentioned plus a day of full body. (So 5 days weights) and one day of just cardio