Help me with DOMS muscle soreness!!

_liaa
_liaa Posts: 20 Member
I need help. It’s as if I’ve never trained in my life before!!

Okay I’ve been training for years, I haven’t changed many workouts drastically besides upping weights or duration, although when I do decide to up the kilos or intensity I SUFFER 2-3 DAYS AFTER to the point I can’t walk or move. In the past I have experienced delayed soreness (usually whilst on cle n) but have been training clean for ages now.

Advice please, what am I doing wrong? And also let me know that I’m not alone in this excruciating pain.

Replies

• MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member
    Could be recovery is missing the nutrients needed. Potassium Magnesium or even insufficient protein.

I eat ginger root daily to help with muscle soreness, inflammation and speed up recovery.

Or... are you pushing too hard?

Honestly you have not provided sufficient info in your OP. I am just guessing and sharing my experience.
  • _liaa
    Hmm...

Edit: I’ve been making a conscious effort to stay hydrated and maintaining a diet of antioxidant rich foods, this is mainly my diet anyways - (might need to increase lean meat, but other than that I’m stumped...)
  • bdelaney33
    bdelaney33 Posts: 150 Member
    Depending on what/where is hurting I compression socks or sleeve's work quite well. For me; usually in my calves.
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 887 Member
    _liaa wrote: »
    Hmm...

Edit: I’ve been making a conscious effort to stay hydrated and maintaining a diet of antioxidant rich foods, this is mainly my diet anyways - (might need to increase lean meat, but other than that I’m stumped...)

If your increasing the fluids make sure your getting enough electrolytes especially in the warmer weather

The other issue is due to lack of taurine
    Which gets pulled from the muscle
  • xxzenabxx
    xxzenabxx Posts: 935 Member
    How much protein are you eating? I’ve found that when I bumped my protein up from 95g per day to 120g my muscles were less sore. I also recommend using a magnesium and peppermint oil spray!
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    I don't know about how to prevent it from happening, but whenever I've had DOMS I've used a foam roller to work out the soreness and it's done wonders for me.

Sometimes even the smallest changes to muscle usage can create soreness. I run 3X/week and workout 3X/week. Very rarely any soreness, if ever so slightly. Last week vacationed at the beach. Walked up and down in the sand every day, up over a small dune to get to the house, etc. My calves were so sore and tight! Killed me for days! Go figure...
  • MohsenSALAH
    MohsenSALAH Posts: 182 Member
    Stretching and foam rolling is helpful as well besides what the guys mentioned above
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,950 Member
    COVID-19 symptom?
  • _liaa
    edited July 2020
  • peggy_polenta
    peggy_polenta Posts: 308 Member
    are you eating low carb or keto? there have been studies wrt to increased/worse DOMs for low carb eaters.
  • _liaa
    COVID-19 symptom?

Negative
  • Hanibanani2020
    Hanibanani2020 Posts: 523 Member
    Fibromyalgia? Excessive soreness after working out is a symptom
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    I need help. It’s as if I’ve never trained in my life before!!

Okay I’ve been training for years, I haven’t changed many workouts drastically besides upping weights or duration, although when I do decide to up the kilos or intensity I SUFFER 2-3 DAYS AFTER to the point I can’t walk or move. In the past I have experienced delayed soreness (usually whilst on cle n) but have been training clean for ages now.

Advice please, what am I doing wrong? And also let me know that I’m not alone in this excruciating pain.

I only had excruciating pain when I over did it, so learned to not over do it.

But I do take magnesium, get adequate protein, foam roll before, and progress slowly.
  • soliloquy72
    soliloquy72 Posts: 5 Member
    I have a trigger point kit and a foam roller that I use. I also incorporate workouts that decrease inflammation into my weekly routines. If you're already doing all of that, I'd look into a mineral supplement. Most people are low in magnesium and it's easy to tell if you take too much (you'll be running to the bathroom) so that's a good one to start with.
  • igutt
    igutt Posts: 97 Member
    I have the same exact problem, it’s like my body just ignores recovery, my sleep is good and my diet is good besides eating enough protein for my body maybe so I’ll try and increase protein and see if it helps
  • Geneveremfp
    Geneveremfp Posts: 504 Member
    Yoga or similar stretching. I was getting doms from. High squat days and I added in a 10 minute yoga video and it helped a lot.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,950 Member
    COVID-19 symptom?

Negative

Muscle aches and body aches are a symptom. Of course, they are a symptom of lots of diseases. You say in your OP that you haven't changed anything and that you've exercising for without experiencing these excessively painful DOMS. If I experienced some new physical problem without any changes in behavior, etc., I would be looking for some other possible "invisible" change (like a disease or newly surfacing genetic condition) that could be causing it, probably by seeking out medical assistance from a doctor who could examine me and perform diagnostic tests.
  • LockdownLoser23
    LockdownLoser23 Posts: 93 Member
    COVID-19 symptom?

Negative

LOL - Brilliant!
  • LockdownLoser23
    LockdownLoser23 Posts: 93 Member
    I used to get it really bad after circuits class, always pushed it a bit too hard. Remember messaging the trainer after 2 days to let him know he is an *kitten* as I couldn't climb stairs lol....he just said to keep drinking plenty of water and hit the protein. I use Casein protein before bed and it is slow releasing and takes the edge off the aches. Maybe not for everyone, but deffo for me